Fantasy Draft Expansion Game

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Draft Rules (Please Read)
  • Each team is selecting 23 players (14 forwards, 7 defenseman, 2 goaltenders)
  • Goal is to win the 2019 Stanley Cup
  • Teams must stay within the 79.5M cap (should be easy to follow on the google sheet)
  • There will be no trading allowed during the draft. The idea is to draft the best possible team from selecting. Restricted trading will open up post draft (see Post Expansion rules).
  • Cap hits based on 2018-2019 season. Full cap hits are used (ex: Ottawa and Toronto retained salary on Dion Phaneuf, but his full cap hit is 7M. This can be identified on capfriendly.com as players with retained salary have 'RS' beside their name). You will use the cap hit shown from capfriendly.com.
  • Players without an NHL contract as of May 15th are not eligible to be picked (J. Hughes, Kakko, Kaprizov etc.)
  • The time limit per pick will be 2 hours until pick #311. After #311, we will move to 1 hour per pick. The clock starts from the point the last pick was made. The clock is frozen between 12:00 AM (EST) - 10:00 AM (EST). If you miss your pick, you will be skipped and can make your selection at any time. If it comes to your next selection and you still haven't picked, you will be automatically skipped. If you select a player who has already been taken, this counts as your pick. We move on and you can correct it whenever. If you have back to back picks, your time limit is still 2 hours (not 4). If you happen to be online and notice someone's time has run out you can @ whoever is next in the thread yourself. I would encourage people to send a list to someone who will be online if you know you won't make your pick on time. Please @ the next person after you select your player.
Expansion Rules (Please Read)
  • Seattle will be selecting 1 player from each team but only 23/31 will count toward their roster
  • Seattle must select 18 forwards, 10 defenseman, and 3 goaltenders (the idea here is that Seattle won't just pick everyone's 8th/9th round pick, there is more involved)
  • Teams can protect any combination of 9 players (lists need to be posted in the thread after the draft)
  • NMC and exempt players will NOT be considered. Anyone is available to Seattle, players with NMC do not need to be protected. (Go ahead and select Milan Lucic)
Post Expansion Rules (Please Read)
  • Seattle needs to be compliant with the 79.5M cap AND still have 31 players after the trading period (8 of which will not count towards cap)
  • Teams can trade with ONLY Seattle (the idea here is to make Seattle's role in this game more relevant and allow Seattle the opportunity to adjust roster before voting)
  • Any trades with Seattle need to have the same amount of players going back (1 for 1, 4 for 4 trades) AND teams must stay within the 14F, 7D, 2G requirement
  • Seattle's 23 man roster will have 8 extras who will be ignored
  • Each GM is drafting 23 players within the cap prior to expansion, therefore Seattle will have 23 players count towards their cap for their final roster (everyone else will have a 20 man roster with 2 extras).
  • The 3 teams who have a goaltender selected by Seattle will need to drop a player and add a new goaltender so that all teams have a backup goalie with 22 roster players (first come first serve)
Voting Rules (Please Read)
  • Playoff teams will be determined via vote (either from the members of this game or from the polls section)
  • Playoff seeds will be determined from highest-lowest number of votes
  • Playoff rounds will be voted from the polls section
  • The duration of each voting period will be 2 days

Metropolitan Division
Carolina - ChaoticOrange
Columbus - RIP Botchford
New Jersey - spitsfan26
NY Islanders - JonnyGraz
NY Rangers - McMozesMadness (2)
Philadelphia - Llamamoto (2)
Pittsburgh - Scholarships
Washington - LatvianTwist

Atlantic Division
Boston - McDrai
Buffalo - Zemgus26
Detroit - TakinMaattaOnMyRide
Florida - TakinMaattaOnMyRide (2)
Montreal - OB5
Ottawa - BoldNewLettuce
Tampa Bay - DominicBoltsFan
Toronto - McMozesMadness

Central Division
Arizona - Zemgus26 (2)
Chicago - DanCloutiers5Hole
Colorado - ConnorMcMullet
Dallas - AveryStars4Eva
Minnesota - GOiler36
Nashville - SJSharks39
St. Louis - Joey Moss (2)
Winnipeg - 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Pacific Division

Anaheim - Scholarships (2)
Calgary - FlamerForLife
Edmonton - Llamamoto
Los Angeles - Dabeast
San Jose - Paralyzer008
Seattle - Retinalz
Vancouver - Joey Moss
Vegas - Jesus Take The Wheel

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iqMN1qGd8yjHDtY8tFkRLUAgAWcC3-SoTo08c8lLVaw

Last edited by a moderator:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I would take the Edmonton Oilers.

I remember the last one we did was awesome. But whoever joins must stay active. It does take some time.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I would take the Edmonton Oilers.

I remember the last one we did was awesome. But whoever joins must stay active. It does take some time.
It does but we've been successful a few times with it.

I will message people who have participated before and hopefully we get enough.

Reactions: Llamamoto

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Is there a salary cap and how is a winner determined?

I will take the :jets

Last edited:

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I like the idea of Seattle and am interested in joining but it seems to be conceptually flawed to have an expansion team with a short term format. Being Seattle basically gives a 0% chance to "win"

Throw me in as vgk

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I like the idea of Seattle and am interested in joining but it seems to be conceptually flawed to have an expansion team with a short term format. Being Seattle basically gives a 0% chance to "win"

Throw me in as vgk
I'm brainstorming some ideas on how it could be fair for Seattle. We will probably make it so that teams protect less players, and Seattle has an opportunity to trade at the end a bit. Some teams may want to trade off a bigger name player for depth which could be mutually beneficial for Seattle. I'm also thinking there will be no trades during the draft, only with Seattle at the end. Open to ideas.

For example, if we made it so that teams can protect any combination of 7 players Seattle would basically be drafting a team full of players that would be 7th-10th round picks kind of value. At the end they would have room to move off the 7 extra players to try to find some more top end players. That's my thinking right now, but I will look at some previous drafts more in depth to make it as competitive as possible. That format could even be too much of an advantage for Seattle.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Is there a salary cap and how is a winner determined?

I will take the Jets.
There will be a cap. So far there hasn't been an official announcement on the cap. If there isn't one before we start it would be 83,000,000. Winner will be determined through voting. We would first vote to determine playoffs, then playoff rounds. Polls section may be used for both, definitely each playoff round though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad