News Article: Fans elect John Scott as division captain for 2016 All-Star Game

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Yeah because marketing max Domi would've sucked for the franchise...

We have plenty of time to market Domi; plus, as mentioned, OEL would have been selected before Domi (as an NHL pick). In terms of the "fan pick," if the "campaign" for Scott (most likely not started by Coyotes fans) hadn't happened, you know it would have gone to someone from another Pacific team; I'd rather rest OEL

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Absolute joke that there are any yotes fans happy about this..

I think the real joke is that anyone expected anything different. We are the NHL's joke franchise, so seeing our goon be made an All-Star fits in quite nicely with current trends.

Yeah because marketing max Domi would've sucked for the franchise...

Domi wouldn't have made it to the ASG. Only guy on the Mutts who'd have had a sniff would have been OEL.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I think the real joke is that anyone expected anything different. We are the NHL's joke franchise, so seeing our goon be made an All-Star fits in quite nicely with current trends.

Domi wouldn't have made it to the ASG. Only guy on the Mutts who'd have had a sniff would have been OEL.

Yeah, and Doughty, Burns, Giordano... that's not any egregious error

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Who's *****ing about it being out of touch with what the fans want? If anything it's absolutely in touch with what they want and as ******** as it is, they wanted John Scott for the lulz.

I'm not even talking about just this year. Every single year, there's a whole bunch of hand-wringing over how the all-star game is some kind of failure.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm not even talking about just this year. Every single year, there's a whole bunch of hand-wringing over how the all-star game is some kind of failure.
I just want drunk Ovi back, is that too much to ask?!

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think they should've kept the draft idea, it was fun. I think combined with this it would be even better. Truthfully I think this year's format is the best idea they've had in a while. The all star game isn't going to have much physical play or intense defense, so why not just make it pond hockey, which they did.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I think they should've kept the draft idea, it was fun. I think combined with this it would be even better. Truthfully I think this year's format is the best idea they've had in a while. The all star game isn't going to have much physical play or intense defense, so why not just make it pond hockey, which they did.

Agreed fully. I love the 3-on-3 tournament idea, but it would be even better with a draft. Especially if we got to see everyone hang their head when they got picked by Scott.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The all-star game, in this and other sports, is an event made by and large for children. *****ing about it for being out of touch with what "the fans" (i.e. mostly adults) want is like criticizing Frozen for not being gritty enough.

Haha This is essentially true. My kids actually enjoy the skills comps and game.

I still think the NHL missed an opportunity with Fitzpatrick. His story could've been a Bull Durham/Crash Davis sort of moment they could have promoted instead of ignoring. I'd enjoy that more than the 900 Crosby biopics during that weekend. Could've promoted the grassroots underdog angle. They could've opened a permanent all star spot for journeymen vets to get recognition and fans to vote on. And got rid of voting for the skill positions, which I'm assuming they don't really want. Instead they ignored it.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Haha This is essentially true. My kids actually enjoy the skills comps and game.

I still think the NHL missed an opportunity with Fitzpatrick. His story could've been a Bull Durham/Crash Davis sort of moment they could have promoted instead of ignoring. I'd enjoy that more than the 900 Crosby biopics during that weekend. Could've promoted the grassroots underdog angle. They could've opened a permanent all star spot for journeymen vets to get recognition and fans to vote on. And got rid of voting for the skill positions, which I'm assuming they don't really want. Instead they ignored it.

I would love it if that actually worked out that way - fans rewarding a guy everyone knows as a heart-and-soul character player, a Bob Gainey type who will never light up the stats sheet but without whom a team would fall apart. But in the age of Reddit and Twitter I don't think it'd happen the way it ought to.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
I would love it if that actually worked out that way - fans rewarding a guy everyone knows as a heart-and-soul character player, a Bob Gainey type who will never light up the stats sheet but without whom a team would fall apart. But in the age of Reddit and Twitter I don't think it'd happen the way it ought to.

A good idea - if they actually would spin it that way which the NHL never would - I really think that even the reddit/twitter/troll hive mind would even get on board.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
John Scott has more NHL assists this season than most boo-hooers will ever have. The fans were asked and the fans spoke. For me, all-star games are exhibitions that are supposed to be fun and the fun is often lost. Scott's selection has shaken things up and the prospect of the all-star game is amusing to me once again.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
John Scott has more NHL assists this season than most boo-hooers will ever have. The fans were asked and the fans spoke. For me, all-star games are exhibitions that are supposed to be fun and the fun is often lost. Scott's selection has shaken things up and the prospect of the all-star game is amusing to me once again.

Just imagine the crowd if he rockets a goal in 3v3.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I imagine if Scott is on a line with Perry and Kopitar, for example, they'll be feeding him passes all day long in hopes of him getting a few goals.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
So if he's in the AHL when the game happens, I'm guessing the captaincy goes to whoever was second highest in the poll, which last I checked was Gaudreau? And it would make sense for one of our forwards to replace Scott (Domi or Boedker, most likely).

I really hope Scott is able to go though. He (and we) will never get this chance again.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
A month has not gone by since Scott was last waived -- Dec. 18, nor has he played more than 9 games since then. No reason to waive him.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
Well, i truly hope that this does not jeopardize his playing in the ASG; Scott not being on an NHL roster, that is. He seems like a good guy and let's face it he's still a professional hockey player, it's not like just the fans voted for an average joe off the street or a baseball player to be in the game, he has 5 goals and 5 assists in his NHL career (lol) and, as far as I know, that's still more than this entire coyotes board has scored in their respective NHL careers, combined. Unless my dominating 1G 2A performance in my roller hockey game on Sunday managed to attract the attention of some NHL scouts... ;)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Man, I know John Scott is treated like a joke around the league, but the guy's a human being and his wife's expecting twins right now... he's really getting a lot of **** for no good reason other than for the NHL and the Coyotes to save face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad