News Article: Fans Back in The Stands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Their are plenty of people that make their living working for the Penguins though that could easily lose their jobs.

I dunno, I just don't see the problem with having teams have crowds. If they start seeing tons of cases from it, sure stop it.

Consiering how poorly the US has managed their covid response relative to just about every other country on earth, an abundance of caution now is probably the most responsible action, rather than "meh, let's see how many die".

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Consiering how poorly the US has managed their covid response relative to just about every other country on earth, an abundance of caution now is probably the most responsible action, rather than "meh, let's see how many die".
what countries did so much better? i thought this argument was pretty much debunked at this point. if you aren't an island nation or welding people's doors shut, you had the same spikes and declines everyone else did

like i'm looking at germany and they have a whole .05% less of their population that tested positive and some point than the US, and they surely have a larger number of uncounted cases from the beginning of 2020

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I mean, I agree with you. But what's done is done. The US wants to get back to normal and nothing will prevent Americans from thinking taking medical advice is some type of first step to the removal of freedom.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
what countries did so much better? i thought this argument was pretty much debunked at this point. if you aren't an island nation or welding people's doors shut, you had the same spikes and declines everyone else did

like i'm looking at germany and they have a whole .05% less of their population that tested positive and some point than the US, and they surely have a larger number of uncounted cases from the beginning of 2020

All of them.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Oh, very true. Which is why I said there are other factors to these numbers than the management of the crisis. Oh, and, I'd add that Canada is not a great performer either, we are about middle of the pack.

And then, the question becomes: Where is the concentration of cases per 100k the worse? Probably in the densely populated areas. So, if you are to open more stuff, do it in rural areas where risk is minimal and transmission is VERY VERY VERY low. Actually, in Canada, that's a big debate, especially here in Quebec. Montreal and its surrounding is where there are problems. Why not open Estrie (where I live) more? We have like 1-2 cases a day and are doing very well in every metric.

I think, at the end of the day, everybody wants more normalcy. The key question is: how do you achieve it in the safest way. It is a very complex issue.

Oh, and for fun. Italy and the UK are performing very badly when it comes to deaths and about average (if compared to other big countries) when it comes to cases. In case of Italy, it can be explained because the population is much older. In the UK, I would not know.
What was it you called me in the summer, devil island or something like that. As for opening up Estrie / Eastern Townships etc, all that would do is drive people from Montreal to those areas, no ?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
What was it you called me in the summer, devil island or something like that. As for opening up Estrie / Eastern Townships etc, all that would do is drive people from Montreal to those areas, no ?

Well, that's why they are not opening the regions, yeah. Because people from The Island of Death came to our restaurants when theirs were closed :laugh:

Reactions: Clare2904

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If you think China is/was being remotely transparent about what happened in Wuhan I got a great deal on a bridge for you.
Yeah, I do not think every single nation is forthright with such information. lol

Who really knows how accurate those counts are.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Almost ^ this. We're 7th worst in total cases/1M and 10th worst in deaths/1M. You can't argue in good faith those #s are good.
sure doesn't seem like all of them. every major country is within the same relative range. we're talking about differences in deaths and cases/1m of 10-20%, max

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaosAgent

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Public figures need some grace since at the beginning we didn't know what this was or how serious it was going to be. We were fumbling around in the dark and I don't judge the early response. But what's happened since has been very damaging for millions of people, and we're going to deal with the ramifications for decades to come. Children lost a critical year of development and social connection, and who knows how many disadvantaged families will just drop off the radar for good and how that will affect schools and development of kids into functioning adults. A lot of people spiraled mentally and physically, having lost most things that helped them cope with daily lives. Elderly and those with disorders/dementia went many months without seeing family or having human connection. I get that the virus is serious for some and I get that people have died and I'm sorry. But there are devastating costs to how we handled this and I can't deal with the judgement and shaming anymore. We've all had more than enough time to study this and make our own health decisions. We need to stop judging others and I'm glad the government is allowing fans. At the end of the day life isn't safe and hundreds of thousands die every year of other illnesses and we barely bat an eye.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
sure doesn't seem like all of them. every major country is within the same relative range

Don't worry about it. Self-immolation has been the cool and intellectual thing to do for Americans.

lol America suxxxxxxxxxxx

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Don't worry about it. Self-immolation has been the cool and intellectual thing to do for Americans.

lol America suxxxxxxxxxxx
if only we lived in france... we'd have a whole 12% less corona deaths/1m... then we could all pat ourselves on the back for a job well done

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
if only we lived in france... we'd have a whole 12% less corona deaths/1m... then we could all pat ourselves on the back for a job well done

And not being ugly hideous anti-science pluralist gas guzzlin Science Denying racist backwards warmongering consumerist ism ism ism ism ism Americans.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
And not being ugly hideous anti-science pluralist gas guzzlin Science Denying racist backwards warmongering consumerist ism ism ism ism ism Americans.
i'm old enough to remember the "only in america, the dumbest country in the world, oh how i hate my neighbors!" takes when there were peaceful lockdown protests last year. then all of europe rioted for 3 weeks over new lockdowns, and none of these people would acknowledge it happened. god i would feel so much better if my country had 1200 deaths/1m instead of 1500!

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
i'm old enough to remember the "only in america, the dumbest country in the world, oh how i hate my neighbors!" takes when there were peaceful lockdown protests last year. then all of europe rioted for 3 weeks over new lockdowns, and none of these people would acknowledge it happened. god i would feel so much better if my country had 1200 deaths/1m instead of 1500!

But, but...have you seen this clip of the newsroom?

It's 2:45 AM and we're college sophomores who took our first Critical .... Theory Class. Chatting on godknowswhat communications tech that originated here. "What if, like, America sucksssssss man. They even let people into the hockey games before the experts said it was 100% safe."

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Almost ^ this. We're 7th worst in total cases/1M and 10th worst in deaths/1M. You can't argue in good faith those #s are good.

The other factor is that not only is the US a developed country, it's not in close proximity to a bunch of other countries like Europe is, with all the inherent problems that come with that.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Fordy

May 28, 2008
The other factor is that not only is the US a developed country, it's not in close proximity to a bunch of other countries like Europe is, with all the inherent problems that come with that.
the US was literally seeded by europe! you're just making excuses for them because you've constructed a narrative. if EVERY country did so much better, why would it matter if you border another country that ALSO did "so much better"? they closed their borders all the same anyway! how does europe work, in your mind, people just wander from country to country with no enforcement?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I would say this is more just the COVID thread at this point. So for anyone who wants to endure that shit, I'll meet you over there for a cold one! Jaded brings the tea.

Reactions: Puck You Too
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad