Fallout 4 - Part IV - Settled In - Use Spoiler Tags.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Bethesda is a publisher in addition to being a developer. They contracted Obsidian to develop New Vegas like any other publisher does with their properties.

Correct.

Bethesda Softworks is the parent publisher company. Bethesda Game Studios is their in house developer, which is responsible for Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind.

That said, I believe comparisons are still apt. Obsidian simply took what Bethesda made for Fallout 3, tweaked it, and wrote a new story....it's sort of their M.O. and they are good at it.

I kind of get it, but it still does not make much sense to me. I am not trying to be difficult, I really do not get it. I am looking at it like this --- Dodge is Dodge and Chrysler in Chrysler but in the end they are still both Dodge. Perhaps that is the wrong way to think of it? I honestly do not get it?

That being said, I said in the previous thread that the game was bad and was shot down, but I stick that. I tried to like it but it is a poor excuse for an RPG. If they just said it is a FPS with skills (Tomb Raider/FarCry) I would have liked it more, but to say it is an RPG and market it as an RPG and give me what they did? well, my expectations were shot and being a bitter old man I could not get past that.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I kind of get it, but it still does not make much sense to me. I am not trying to be difficult, I really do not get it. I am looking at it like this --- Dodge is Dodge and Chrysler in Chrysler but in the end they are still both Dodge. Perhaps that is the wrong way to think of it? I honestly do not get it?

No. Its like Dodge going to a small company and saying heres a template for a car (FO3), you take it and come up with something and we'll put both our names on it.

Obsidian made the obvious tweaks to the gameplay (gun sighting, crafting etc) and focused a lot more on story. But the engine of the game was already there. They were able to focus on these ither things

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Sort of similar, except the two parts of the company have different functions whereas Dodge and Chrysler both build vehicles. Bethesda Softworks, the parent company, licenses intellectual property and handles the publishing side (marketing, distribution, etc.) while the subsidiary Bethesda Game Studios is the actual game developer.

In the case of New Vegas, Bethesda Softworks licensed their intellectual property to a developer outside the company in Obsidian Entertainment. They likely had very little to do with the creation of the game.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
No. Its like Dodge going to a small company and saying heres a template for a car (FO3), you take it and come up with something and we'll put both our names on it.

Obsidian made the obvious tweaks to the gameplay (gun sighting, crafting etc) and focused a lot more on story. But the engine of the game was already there. They were able to focus on these ither things

Sort of similar, except the two parts of the company have different functions whereas Dodge and Chrysler both build vehicles. Bethesda Softworks, the parent company, licenses intellectual property and handles the publishing side (marketing, distribution, etc.) while the subsidiary Bethesda Game Studios is the actual game developer.

In the case of New Vegas, Bethesda Softworks licensed their intellectual property to a developer outside the company in Obsidian Entertainment. They likely had very little to do with the creation of the game.

I still dont get it but whatever; NV is still a Bethesda game in my books. They took the frame and hired some writers. I am sure they had to put their 'stamp of approval' on the end product.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
I still dont get it but whatever; NV is still a Bethesda game in my books. They took the frame and hired some writers. I am sure they had to put their 'stamp of approval' on the end product.
Thats pretty much all they did. Obsidian went up to Bethesda Softworks, the parent company not the developer company and said "can we plz make a fallout game?" And Bethesda Softworks went "sure, here's all the stuff for Fallout 3" and after the game was released Bethesda Softworks stamped it with their logo and released it.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Thats pretty much all they did. Obsidian went up to Bethesda Softworks, the parent company not the developer company and said "can we plz make a fallout game?" And Bethesda Softworks went "sure, here's all the stuff for Fallout 3" and after the game was released Bethesda Softworks stamped it with their logo and released it.

Gotcha, but now I do not understand how people say it is not a Bethesda game. Basically, Obsidian were contracted employees for Bethesda, so Bethesda should take all the criticism or praise (with 'kudos' to Obsidian).

Anyhow, it does not matter. NV was so much better than FO3 or FO4, so whoever needs to should do the same thing with the FO4 engine.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Gotcha, but now I do not understand how people say it is not a Bethesda game. Basically, Obsidian were contracted employees for Bethesda, so Bethesda should take all the criticism or praise (with 'kudos' to Obsidian).

Most of the time people give credit/criticism to the developer for the actual ins and outs of the game, since they made it. This, I think, is the difference.

Anyhow, it does not matter. NV was so much better than FO3 or FO4, so whoever needs to should do the same thing with the FO4 engine.

Thing is, this is the main criticism for Bethesda as a developer I think.

The best Fallout game to come out recently in most people's minds is one that they outsourced the development for.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Well after being away from the game for 6 weeks im back in. Ive beaten the main story line, time to just wander around some more :laugh:

Side note: I Really wish there was a way to transfer weapons between game files. Im going to miss my double barrel explosive shotgun. I got it very early in the game and its still my favourite weapon 70 hours in.

Last edited:

Heisenberg77

Jan 8, 2007

Think of it like a book publisher or something along those lines. It's the writer of the book that would be criticized for the content, rather than publisher (or owner of a franchise). Or think of a few years back when every other COD was made by Treyarch or Infinity Ward. Before Black Ops came out, Treyarch was widely considered the lesser of the two. Nobody ever *****ed about Activision being the problem behind those games. It was the developer.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Well after being away from the game for 6 weeks im back in. Ive beaten the main story line, time to just wander around some more :laugh:

Side note: I Really wish there was a way to transfer weapons between game files. Im going to miss my double barrel explosive shotgun. I got it very early in the game and its still my favourite weapon 70 hours in.

Ya, I always get sad when I run out of ammo for my Spray n Pray. I can't imagine what it would be like having to start over again, and not have it for a while

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Had a cool moment last night. Hacking a terminal and I can hear "Mars, the bringer of war" playing in the background, which confused the hell out of me as the wife was in bed and I'm trying to figure out were its coming from when I realise the radio is on in the room my character was in and it was tuned to the classical station.

*memo to self, remember to tune pip-boy into radio station when not sneaking around*

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Think of it like a book publisher or something along those lines. It's the writer of the book that would be criticized for the content, rather than publisher (or owner of a franchise). Or think of a few years back when every other COD was made by Treyarch or Infinity Ward. Before Black Ops came out, Treyarch was widely considered the lesser of the two. Nobody ever *****ed about Activision being the problem behind those games. It was the developer.

Yeah, I get that. But a book publisher would be crucified if it released (obviously extreme example) 'Kill all the Jews' or something. The publisher must have some say on the content being released and should be either criticized for it or praised for it as much as those who wrote it. Anyhow... crap game is crap game at the end of the day.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The publisher must have some say on the content being released.

In the case of game development there are mutually agreed to milestones and payment is delivered upon hitting those. So the contracted developer isn't gonna get paid if they do an obviously horrible job.

For example Bethesda outright cancelled Prey 2 which was being worked on by Human Head Studios.

Sometimes the publisher will actually take what was developed if the third party developer fails to live up to the contract and another studio will finish it. Though that usually turns out badly.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
In the case of game development there are mutually agreed to milestones and payment is delivered upon hitting those. So the contracted developer isn't gonna get paid if they do an obviously horrible job.

For example Bethesda outright cancelled Prey 2 which was being worked on by Human Head Studios.

Sometimes the publisher will actually take what was developed if the third party developer fails to live up to the contract and another studio will finish it. Though that usually turns out badly.

I didn't mean to, and I didn't want to, and this is probably turning into a circular argument at this point and I didnt mean that but perhaps I cannot wrap my head around this and I should give up. I get why Obsidian gets praise for FO:NV (they took the shell [game engine and history] and wrote a compelling story), what I do not get is why Bethesda does not share in that credit as they built the shell [engine], built upon the lore of the old Fallout games (continuing into FO:3), allowed someone else to use their property [enigine] and yet they get no credit for NV. Every time I hear FO:NV all I hear is Bethesda had nothing to do with it. I just dont think you can separate one from the other.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
So I had something of an epiphany last night.

I've been trying to build a stealthy/sniper character. Which means light, shadowed/muffled armour, not much protection. Fine against 1 or 2 enemies that you can pick off at range, but when you get 4 or 5, and they all start running towards you, throwing grenades etc....I would die quite easily.

Last night, I was in power armour and found life so much easier when I could just run up the baddies and headshot them with my hardened shotgun. Why wasn't I doing this before?

TomPlex

Jan 24, 2006
www.dermamode.com
So I had something of an epiphany last night.

I've been trying to build a stealthy/sniper character. Which means light, shadowed/muffled armour, not much protection. Fine against 1 or 2 enemies that you can pick off at range, but when you get 4 or 5, and they all start running towards you, throwing grenades etc....I would die quite easily.

Last night, I was in power armour and found life so much easier when I could just run up the baddies and headshot them with my hardened shotgun. Why wasn't I doing this before?
Leroy Jenkins?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I still find myself sneaking around with power armor on sometimes, probably because I played so long without it. I think I had 40+ power cores before I even put a full suit together. I'm used to sneaking around and killing people with the Deliverer.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I didn't mean to, and I didn't want to, and this is probably turning into a circular argument at this point and I didnt mean that but perhaps I cannot wrap my head around this and I should give up. I get why Obsidian gets praise for FO:NV (they took the shell [game engine and history] and wrote a compelling story), what I do not get is why Bethesda does not share in that credit as they built the shell [engine], built upon the lore of the old Fallout games (continuing into FO:3), allowed someone else to use their property [enigine] and yet they get no credit for NV. Every time I hear FO:NV all I hear is Bethesda had nothing to do with it. I just dont think you can separate one from the other.

Because all the great things about New Vegas are things Bethesda has a very hard time with: good plots, good quests, good gameplay mechanics, good characters etc....

Bethesda makes crap games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion while Obsidian make gems like New Vegas and Knights of the Old Republic 2

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
because all the great things about new vegas are things bethesda has a very hard time with: Good plots, good quests, good gameplay mechanics, good characters etc....

Bethesda makes crap games like fallout 3 and oblivion while obsidian make gems like new vegas and knights of the old republic 2
lol..

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Survival mode incoming. That plus full difficulty could actually make this game the challenge I've always wanted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad