Fallout 4 - Part IV - Settled In - Use Spoiler Tags.

TomPlex

Jan 24, 2006
www.dermamode.com
I'm upset that most of the DLCs have been around settlements and building. I get that this was the "new thing" for the series, and I don't mind having those DLCs, but not at the expense of story-driven DLCs. I have no interest in building robots, conveyor belts or Vaults. I want quests and story.

How many DLCs did New Vegas have? And they were all very good. Far Harbor is pretty good so far, and I'm excited for the next one, but disappointed that it will also be the last.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Thank god i only payed 30 dollars for the season pass being that if i payed 50, i would feel completely ripped off.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
I'm upset that most of the DLCs have been around settlements and building. I get that this was the "new thing" for the series, and I don't mind having those DLCs, but not at the expense of story-driven DLCs. I have no interest in building robots, conveyor belts or Vaults. I want quests and story.

How many DLCs did New Vegas have? And they were all very good. Far Harbor is pretty good so far, and I'm excited for the next one, but disappointed that it will also be the last.

And they announced 3 more DLC's and their the same ********!

Game has been such a letdown IMO. The DLC has been atrocious, people have been stating that this whole time and you want to release 3 more of that crap? F off.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Yeah, they're really pounding out the settlement building DLC. Which leads me to 2 conclusions

1) That DLC is selling well

or

2) They already had it in the pipeline and have to release it anyway (the NukaWorld DLC was rumoured from a leak before the game was even officially announced)

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Yeah, I'm totally burnt out settlement building. I'm tired of constantly having to defend settlement despite setting up enough turrets to deal with the problem and for having to worry about the happiness of adults. I'd rather designate a person at a settlement to be the leader of that settlement and let them organize who farms what crops, who sells what merch, and repair turrets and generators when needed. Because I don't want my F04 to be a Garbage Man simulator / Adult Baby Sitting Simulation anymore.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Preston is not happy with me and my decision regarding the institute. Instead of banishing him to the swamp, I built a jail cell for him just above the water beside the castle. :nod:

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Preston is not happy with me and my decision regarding the institute. Instead of banishing him to the swamp, I built a jail cell for him just above the water beside the castle. :nod:

Haha nice. Does he still yell out at you that he caught word of another settlement that needs your help? Instead of yelling out for anyone to help him out of his misery.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Yeah, I'm totally burnt out settlement building. I'm tired of constantly having to defend settlement despite setting up enough turrets to deal with the problem and for having to worry about the happiness of adults. I'd rather designate a person at a settlement to be the leader of that settlement and let them organize who farms what crops, who sells what merch, and repair turrets and generators when needed. Because I don't want my F04 to be a Garbage Man simulator / Adult Baby Sitting Simulation anymore.

The problem with the settlement building, is that it doesn't net you anything.

You run around, collect junk, build things, but due to the A.I., the settlers/MM don't start doing anything on their own. If you could actually start rebuilding the Commonwealth....but that's as likely as becoming the leader of the Institute and turning it into a 'good' organization.

So ultimately, no matter what you do, it amounts to nothing. And the problem I have with the DLC, is that most of it will be so lame, just unlocking assets already in the game...FH was sort of meh IMO, and it's a high bar to match FO3 and NV's DLC IMO.

Either Bethesda really thinks a lot of the settlement stuff (which they do), or people really like it, although it wears out it's welcome for me in a hurry.

So glad I did not spend $50 on the pass.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Haha nice. Does he still yell out at you that he caught word of another settlement that needs your help? Instead of yelling out for anyone to help him out of his misery.

He whines and gets mad at me because I blew up the institute without evacuating the civilians. But at this point in the game, I don't even bother with that idiot.

Also he magically broke out of his cell, so I banished him to the swamp settlement. :nod:

The problem with the settlement building, is that it doesn't net you anything.

You run around, collect junk, build things, but due to the A.I., the settlers/MM don't start doing anything on their own. If you could actually start rebuilding the Commonwealth....but that's as likely as becoming the leader of the Institute and turning it into a 'good' organization.

I really like the settlement building, but you are correct about it. Babysitting the AI kills it.

Also the wiring in this game is crap. I built an arena last night and spent majority of that time trying to get two powered doors to open/close at the same time. And as of now, I still haven't got it right.

All-Star

Jul 14, 2003
Snake Mountain
Visit site
I really like the settlement building, but you are correct about it. Babysitting the AI kills it.
The way I see it is that it's been hundreds of years since the war, and anyone who hasn't been able to figure out in their lifetime what your character figured out within 10 minutes of leaving the vault has to be a total moron. Most of them don't even have weapons and armour when tons of it can be found unprotected all over the place. The fact that the AI makes them a pain in the ass to deal with is just good programming.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The way I see it is that it's been hundreds of years since the war, and anyone who hasn't been able to figure out in their lifetime what your character figured out within 10 minutes of leaving the vault has to be a total moron. Most of them don't even have weapons and armour when tons of it can be found unprotected all over the place. The fact that the AI makes them a pain in the ass to deal with is just good programming.

But these are the same people, that because they're morons, you can find weapons, ammo, caps, etc in containers after all this time.

The other thing that stinks about the settlement building, is the UI, it's a pain to have to actually worry about where you're going, and not fall off a building when moving furniture around. That Bethesda thought I would want the same UI when solving puzzles too. :shakehead (although I appreciated the break in gameplay).

It's just annoying, that Bethesda seemed to put a lot of time/effort into settlements, but aspects are handicapped regarding it, the AI, UI, can't scrap everything, can't clear the roads, can't really rebuild the commonwealth, because each settlement is full of morons and at best, supply lines to share the junk. And I'm not going to try and rebuild all of them into better settlements, just so much effort for nothing, really.

All-Star

Jul 14, 2003
Snake Mountain
Visit site
But these are the same people, that because they're morons, you can find weapons, ammo, caps, etc in containers after all this time.

The other thing that stinks about the settlement building, is the UI, it's a pain to have to actually worry about where you're going, and not fall off a building when moving furniture around. That Bethesda thought I would want the same UI when solving puzzles too. :shakehead (although I appreciated the break in gameplay).

It's just annoying, that Bethesda seemed to put a lot of time/effort into settlements, but aspects are handicapped regarding it, the AI, UI, can't scrap everything, can't clear the roads, can't really rebuild the commonwealth, because each settlement is full of morons and at best, supply lines to share the junk. And I'm not going to try and rebuild all of them into better settlements, just so much effort for nothing, really.
I agree that the UI is ****. It makes even your guy too stupid to dig.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton

How is this good programming? The characters grew up in the wasteland and they should have picked up a thing or two.

The clipping and un-scrappable junk/corpses irritates me the most.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
A balltrack.

What the **** is the point of having a ball track in this game?

It's a game for those interested in it. Contraptions DLC is only useful because of the elevator. That's pretty much it. Oh, and the logic switches which you can use to secure your settlements down and preventing settlers sleeping in your own bed.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The season pass so far seems to be such a waste of money.

I payed 30 and i still feel ripped off. I just couldn't imagine what i would feel if i payed 50 bucks for this.

The only dlc i enjoyed so far was Far Harbor. I am looking forward to that nuka cola dlc though.

This is the last time i buy a season pass from Bethesda.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The season pass so far seems to be such a waste of money.

I payed 30 and i still feel ripped off. I just couldn't imagine what i would feel if i payed 50 bucks for this.

The only dlc i enjoyed so far was Far Harbor. I am looking forward to that nuka cola dlc though.

This is the last time i buy a season pass from Bethesda.

It's not even July, and they'll have DLC coming out at least for the rest of 2016. I'm sure they'll release another content expac.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad