Failing for Dahlin / The Official Tank Thread

Should the habs make a run for the playoffs or tank?

• Playoffs

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • Tank

Votes: 249 92.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
The only D I see Sens, Oiler or Sabres drafting is Dahlin. I can't see any of those teams passing on Tkachuk assuming Svechnikov & Zadina are gone.

Tkachuk is NHL ready both in his game & physically.

Oilers with a Tkachuk - McDavid - Puljujarvi line is pretty enticing.

Tkachuk showed great chemistry with Mittelstadt at the WJC.

I can see the Senators liking him too.

Lots of D depth in this draft. I can see Svechnikov, Zadina & Tkachuk going 1-2-3 after Dahlin.

The team that gets 5th likely takes Boqvist, but Hughes could be an option for Oilers too if they think he's NHL ready & can step in & contribute next year.

Dahlin & the big 3 forwards get drafted first.

Can't see Edmonton or Buffalo picking up a foward. They have nothing on the back end.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Can't see Edmonton or Buffalo picking up a foward. They have nothing on the back end.

Quality forwards are harder to draft past the top 10, quality D is drafted in the second round all the time.

Both Buffalo & Edmonton need wingers as much as D. The winger situation in Edmonton is putrid since they traded Hall & Eberle. Who is any good on the wing in Edmonton? Draisatl & Puljujarvi. Then Lucic?

Same in Buffalo. They're getting rid of Kane. That leaves Okposo & Reinhart, who has 20 pts. That's your wing depth? Lol

Dahlin trumps all, but no way does Edmonton pass on Tkachuk & I doubt Buffalo does it too. They'll take D later & draft the high end forward.

This is how/why Seth Jones fell. If either teams ends up drafting 5 or later than D becomes much more of a possibility.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Terrific job from MB tanking for Dahlin despite the large handicap to overcome in having Price as his goaltender, building a team (of NHL players trying to win) which can't generate any offense is an impressive feat.

Last edited:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I say pick whichever prospect our management is least likely to completely ruin.

Considering how the Habs has been drafting the last couple of years, they should also go for the prospect which the scouting staff is the least likely to pick at that range.

Last edited:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Habs officially in the bottom 3 of the NHL...:scared:

Arizona, Buffalo, and Ottawa ... which one moved past us in the standings?

BTW, have the "we can still make the divisional playoff spot if we can win eight in a row and the Leafs lose eight in a row" guys finally realized and given up? (I guess that should now be updated to ten and ten. ) If the Leafs play at 50% for the rest of the season, all we need to do is to play 25-6 in our remaining games.

Only ten points out of a wildcard and only seven/six teams to pass/outplay for there.

Last edited:
Reactions: King In Glory

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

BTW, have the "we can still make the divisional playoff spot if we can win eight in a row and the Leafs lose eight in a row" guys finally realized and given up? (I guess that should now be updated to ten and ten. ) If the Leafs play at 50% for the rest of the season, all we need to do is to play 25-6 in our remaining games.

Only ten points out of a wildcard and only seven/six teams to pass/outplay for there.

I liked that guy, but I haven't seen him for a few days.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
At or close to the trade deadline. Or if we somehow get stupid and lose like 5 in a row.

What's the point of giving up before? We're clearly not going to finish bottom 3 in the league. Buffalo/Arizona suck too much. And even if you somehow start trading away assets/playing young players now to "tank" as people here hope - it still won't work all that great. Carey Price alone is an x-factor that will make us win games and maintain a near 500 record or so at bare minimum.

So keep hoping for a win streak to close the gap.

Don't forget we have Carey Price. If we win our next 6 games - but MOSTLY if we win our next 6 games with Carey Price putting insane numbers (like a 950 sv% and 1.00 gaa) - can you honestly tell me you wouldn't think to yourself "ok - that's it, Price is going to find a way to carry this team back into the playoffs".

Obviously this win streak has to happen asap as we're running out of time - but we're not quite out of time yet :0

So to quote a certain poster - we may not quite have lost 5 straight yet, but 3 straight with such a lack of gamesmanship, and losing 4 in 5 is stupid enough.

I think I may be ready to give up. In my defense - I still say a win streak 2 weeks ago could have changed things. If we had won our last 3 games alone (not 6 or 7), we'd be sitting at 52 points in 51 games. 4 points out with same amounts of games played (or less) than all the wildcard contenders, and over 30 games to go. The line is very thin.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
Serious question: remember when Bergevin did Bettman a favour by trading for John Scott so he could be sent to the minors and miss the allstar game? We still never found out wtf that was all about.

How likely is it that the lottery could be rigged to return the favour? I’d say 5%.

Reactions: Pacciosoftie

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Just saw this.

I wasn't really wrong though. I kept talking about 6 or 7 game win streak as being the requirement (which without, would never happen). If we had simply won our last 3 games (not even 6 or 7, just 3 games) instead of lost our last 3 games, we'd be 4 points out of a wild card with same games played (1 in hand on NYI and 3 back). How was that unrealistic? Everyone was saying "well what if those teams go on crazy win streaks". Well, they haven't yet.

Obviously losing those games in a row ourselves has pretty much written us out of it (before even considering how bad the team is actually playing). But my logic was still not bad. Toronto has taken off and is out of reach, but the wild card is not. Look at FLA or Det - if they win their next 2 games, they're 4 points back with 30 games to go (we were in that vicinity 1-2 weeks ago). That's not unrealistic.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Serious question: remember when Bergevin did Bettman a favour by trading for John Scott so he could be sent to the minors and miss the allstar game? We still never found out wtf that was all about.

How likely is it that the lottery could be rigged to return the favour? I’d say 5%.

If it's a serious question than....i'm trying to find a way of saying something without insulting lol. Lottery is not rigged. This is a billion dollar industry, "rigging" isn't part of it. That's jail time and all that stuff, not gonna happen.

Bringing John Scott up to play a couple of games in Montreal at the end of that season ended up being a decent PR move/exciting for the fans (if you overlook the whole all-star game fiasco). In a similar vein, i say we should have picked up Jagr this year on waivers and brought him in to finish the season with us. This would have been a lot of fun for fans these last 2 months or so

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
So to quote a certain poster - we may not quite have lost 5 straight yet, but 3 straight with such a lack of gamesmanship, and losing 4 in 5 is stupid enough.

I think I may be ready to give up. In my defense - I still say a win streak 2 weeks ago could have changed things. If we had won our last 3 games alone (not 6 or 7), we'd be sitting at 52 points in 51 games. 4 points out with same amounts of games played (or less) than all the wildcard contenders, and over 30 games to go. The line is very thin.

Sure a 7 game winning streak would have helped us. The point everyone was making is this team wasn’t good enough to do that.

We’re 9 points behind the 9th worst team in the league so we’re solidifed in the bottom 8. We’re at the bottom of the pile sitting above the worst 3. Ottawa who is third worst is 5 points back with two games in hand and we play Anaheim next.

And we haven’t even acknowledged it’s over so we haven’t sold off assets. When we do that we’ll end up in the bottom 3.

It was really obvious just watching them play. The season was over a long time ago.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Sure a 7 game winning streak would have helped us. The point everyone was making is this team wasn’t good enough to do that.

We’re 9 points behind the 9th worst team in the league so we’re solidifed in the bottom 8. We’re at the bottom of the pile sitting above the worst 3. Ottawa who is third worst is 5 points back with two games in hand and we play Anaheim next.

And we haven’t even acknowledged it’s over so we haven’t sold off assets. When we do that we’ll end up in the bottom 3.

It was really obvious just watching them play. The season was over a long time ago.

Any team is good enough to win games in this league. A ton of our players are seriously under performing. Carey Price. Drouin. Pacioretty. etc

It's too easy to say "well this team sucks it can't win game so by virtue of that we have no chance".

also - nobody has sold off assets yet. Not even Buffalo or Arizona. That usually starts closer to trade deadline. Selling assets off may actually make us win more games too.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Can we once get lucky and ****ing get Dahlin? T.O got Matthews, would only be fair ;)

Bergevin doesn't deserve to get Dahlin. He had Subban and Sergachev and he f**ked it up.
He shouldn't get a prize for being a complete failure as GM.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Can we once get lucky and ****ing get Dahlin? T.O got Matthews, would only be fair ;)

Statistically, they had the best chance at Matthews, but yeah, luck is always in the cards for the lottery. Dahlin would be awesome of course, but top-3 period would be great as either Svechnikov or Zadina would be great additions.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Does winning the draft lottery have any bearing on Tavares signing with the Habs or not? Drafting Dahlin before the July 1st free agency would be nice to add to the resume.... Price, Weber, Dahlin, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Patch, Danault, Lehkonen, Hudon, Mete, Petry. Add Tavares and that's 13 solid core assets that fill the top of our roster.

- Sign Backlund to a multi year deal at $6.5M AAV.

- Tavares for $10.5M. Same contract as Price. He may want to do this if we can mange to draft Dahlin and we are able to sign Backlund. If he want's more, unload Alzner for a bag of pucks.

- Trade Shaw & Schlemko for futures. Rather trade Benn but Schlemko makes more and the cap space is needed.

- Sign Danault to a multi year deal at $4M AAV or less. Others that need contracts are Jerabek ($1M), DLR ($1M), McCarron ($1M), Deslauriers ($1.5M), Lindgren ($1M)

Galchenyuk / Tavares / Drouin
Patch / Backlund / Gallagher
Lehkonen / Danault / Hudon
Deslauriers / DLR / Byron

McCarron, Carr

Dahlin / Weber
Jerabek / Petry
Mete / Alzner

Benn

Price
Lindgren

Cap hit: Approx $79M