Failing for Dahlin / The Official Tank Thread

Should the habs make a run for the playoffs or tank?

• Playoffs

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • Tank

Votes: 249 92.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Games to watch: February

*teams in red need to win

Standings (as of Feb 1st)
------OddsTeamGPPts
3118%Arizona5033
3012.5%Buffalo5137
2910.5%Ottawa4941
289.5%Montreal5146
278.5%Vancouver5148
267.6%Edmonton5048
256.7%Detroit4948
245.8%Florida4948
235.4%NY Islanders5255
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

For our chances at a top 3 pick : NHL Lottery Simulator - NHL Draft Odds

Last edited:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The only problem is... you don't tank when you have Price-Weber-Drouin-Patches-Galchenyuk-Gallagher etc.

IF the plan is to tank, you'd have to trade at least 3 or 4 of these guys (and for diminishing return). If you don't do that, you're not tanking.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
The only problem is... you don't tank when you have Price-Weber-Drouin-Patches-Galchenyuk-Gallagher etc.

IF the plan is to tank, you'd have to trade at least 3 or 4 of these guys (and for diminishing return). If you don't do that, you're not tanking.

Well they are all present this year and we are currently sitting with a bottom 5 record. We are already tanking, just hope our GM doesn't trade the wrong players in an attempt to salvage the season...

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Going full Tank.

We should try to trade Shae Weber and Carey Price. I love Price to death but his contract is so bad.

And we should try to trade Plekanec and Patches, because f*** them.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

I don't see the problem, Edmonton has been doing that for years. That's really your issue and no one else's.

Reactions: dralaf

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I hope to see pacioretty gone while bringing in some future assets. I would at least explore what Weber can bring in, and plekanec should definitely be let go... Just take what you can get in his case.

Another player I wouldn't miss is shaw.

Place an emphasis on greater speed in general.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

Why couldn't we tank with those guys minus Patches and say maybe one of Weber/Price? We are already doing it with all of them still here.:dunno:

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Why couldn't we tank with those guys minus Patches and say maybe one of Weber/Price? We are already doing it with all of them still here.:dunno:

Forget without Patches & say Price, we are tanking with them and it won't stop.

The team is dysfunctional from the top, the parts are not that bad. This is exactly what happens when the GMs wants to be the captain, there is no real glue between them.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Even if there was a miracle and we managed to make the playoffs, this team isn’t good enough to compete. Bergevin needs to understand this and that fans WANT to tank this year and ditch the older players because this is the “opportunity” year where we already have a ton of picks and we can address several needs, restock the farm and trim cap space so we can add a few UFAs to help this club compete against as early as next year. To do this we NEED to trade Patches, Plex, Alzner, Shaw anyone over 27 not named Price and Weber. Then let the kids play for the rest of the year, move Chucky to centre, let Price get a rest year by playing out half the remaining games and give Weber 20 min a night.

We’re already a bottom 5 team. If we can stay here or move up, there’s a lot of skill in this draft we could use next year in addition to trying to get a guy like Tavares.

I know as a fan, I’d rather pay $400 to watch a young fun team play than be infuriated by watching the current edition of the Habs.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
We are not tanking we are just a really bad team with no identity.

Trade your top goal scorer and captain, your shut down centre in Plex and limit ice time for Weber and Price. Then play the kids you expect to make the team next year so they get NHL coaching and hope that’s enough to make the bottom 5.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Trade your top goal scorer and captain, your shut down centre in Plex and limit ice time for Weber and Price. Then play the kids you expect to make the team next year so they get NHL coaching and hope that’s enough to make the bottom 5.

If Bergevin stays I can honestly see all of the above staying in a habs uniform. Max will get a new deal and so will Plekanec( I wonder if it will be a take it or leave it like Markov). The future plans if any depend on whether Bergevin stays or goes.

He could very well say that the kids did not progress like he thought they would and this often happens in pro hockey so we have to be patient, there are some answers in the room yada yada yada.

Reactions: groovejuice

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If Bergevin stays I can honestly see all of the above staying in a habs uniform. Max will get a new deal and so will Plekanec( I wonder if it will be a take it or leave it like Markov). The future plans if any depend on whether Bergevin stays or goes.

He could very well say that the kids did not progress like he thought they would and this often happens in pro hockey so we have to be patient, there are some answers in the room yada yada yada.

I don’t see a way he goes to Molson after missing the playoffs twice in 3 years and say that we’re all good. No need for any major changes and we’re gonna pay Parches $7M plus for the foreseeable future and still keep his job.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Remember when we had this thread ten games in and we were told it was too early and they closed it?

We were right.
And it was, the team had cap space, and a possibility to improve. Our shmuck Gm did not. so we find ourselves here again. Now team can still improve with a good proactive GM, but time is out, so even with that it becomes too late

Reactions: OldCraig71

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
And it was, the team had cap space, and a possibility to improve. Our shmuck Gm did not. so we find ourselves here again. Now team can still improve with a good proactive GM, but time is out, so even with that it becomes too late

It wasn't too early, the team sucked, MB built a complete burning bin of garbage and there was no way this team was doing anything but tanking.

He was never going to use that cap space because he had no assets to trade to fill it. And as I said a thousand times to people who loved the 'cap space', most trades involve some salary going back the other way.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
A savvy GM could make a killing at this trade deadline. There's actually a lot of open cap space this deadline.

Plekanec at 50% retained.
Pacioretty for one and a half years.
Byron to a cap strapped team.
Shaw with money retained to an overachieving Pacific team.

Trade those four and you should be able to walk out with at least one first rounder, two second rounders, and a couple of very good prospects.

Reactions: shutehinside

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
A savvy GM could make a killing at this trade deadline. There's actually a lot of open cap space this deadline.

Plekanec at 50% retained.
Pacioretty for one and a half years.
Byron to a cap strapped team.
Shaw with money retained to an overachieving Pacific team.

Trade those four and you should be able to walk out with at least one first rounder, two second rounders, and a couple of very good prospects.

Byron would probably be the best asset to move. A contending team would love his PK ability, his speed and his ability to play up and down the line-up.
Plekanec is another asset to move at the deadline, like you said, retain some salary and he's your 3rd line C to do some heavy lifting.

Shawful is immovable at the deadline, imo.

Pacioretty could go and for a high premium, his salary makes it easy to do so.

You could probably dupe a team on Jordie Benn, but the return would be average.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
- Trade Pacioretty
- Trade Plekanec
- Trade Petry

- Keep Price: his contract may seem big now, but as the cap goes up in the next few years, his 10.5M won't be that big a deal. He's playing real good since he came back (win or lose aside from the first Oilers game). When he plays that well and makes those big saves, no one thinks about what he's paid.

- Keep Weber: I would be open to trading him. But I would be more than okay if he sticks around. He's a solid piece of the defense and if anyone made the Habs' defense have any semblance of respectability, it's him.

- With young players like Galchenyuk, Drouin, Hudon, and Lehkonen (all 23 and younger), along with the likes of Gallagher, Danault, Carr, and Shaw (24yo-26yo), the Habs have enough young talent to "rebuild" on the fly.

- And Habs might not have a stacked prospect pool, but there are some interesting players in the minors/junior/college like Scherbak, Mete, Juulsen, Poehling, Brook, and Evans, who give you some hope for the future.

And by trading assets like Pacioretty, Plekanec, and Petry, the Habs can have the opportunity to bring in more young talent and draft picks to bring in even more talent.

I say in terms of picks, maybe add more to the 2018 class, but I'd also like to see them stock up on 2019 picks.

Should Pacioretty be used in a trade to bring in a legit 1LD like OEL to Montreal or a legit C like Tavares/Seguin, I'd be happy. If not, I'd rather he be used to bring in picks and prospects.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad