Failing for Dahlin / The Official Tank Thread

Should the habs make a run for the playoffs or tank?

• Playoffs

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • Tank

Votes: 249 92.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The club was salvageable 10 games in. 20 games in. Even 30 games in. We're pretty much at the 40 game mark. Point of no return.

With the damage done during the off season, i don’t think anything was salvageable. It would have taken Price 14-15 on steroids to make the playoffs this year with this roster

Reactions: lostriver

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
NYR and Boston had awful starts. Ottawa was near the top of the conference.

The 2017 season is the very same season Montreal fired Pierre Gauthier. The team could not score more than 2 a game most nights and sat at the bottom of the league in near every category.....Fast forward to 2017 we sit near bottom of the NHL in every category .,..6 years later all the HOPE we was sold it was all smoke and mirrors, and here we are right back to where we was 6 years ago.....

Can anyone name me the last successful MONTREAL CANADIENS GM to rebuild successfully after failing the first time????

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The only problem is... you don't tank when you have Price-Weber-Drouin-Patches-Galchenyuk-Gallagher etc.

IF the plan is to tank, you'd have to trade at least 3 or 4 of these guys (and for diminishing return). If you don't do that, you're not tanking.

Why not? We suck with all of them in the lineup right now, sell off guys like Pacioretty and Plekanec.

Reactions: dralaf

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The 2017 season is the very same season Montreal fired Pierre Gauthier. The team could not score more than 2 a game most nights and sat at the bottom of the league in near every category.....Fast forward to 2017 we sit near bottom of the NHL in every category .,..6 years later all the HOPE we was sold it was all smoke and mirrors, and he we are right back to where we was 6 years ago.....

Can anyone name me the last successful MONTREAL CANADIENS GM to rebuild successfully after failing the first time????

I know this isn't answering your rebuild question but Gainey had a successful retool. He had a vision and he was shooting straight for it and did well (minus McDonagh, but Gomez brought Cammy and Gionta).

I'd like to see Gainey as our president

Reactions: blarneylad

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Well they put a bag of Beliveau's statues head so I guess let the tank go full speed ahead so he can't see the downfall

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I know this isn't answering your rebuild question but Gainey had a successful retool. He had a vision and he was shooting straight for it and did well (minus McDonagh, but Gomez brought Cammy and Gionta).

I'll always respect Gainey. Good man, a real vision, successful NHL track record, even if it didn't work out as well here.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

No, when Gainey showed up we was a disaster...so it couldn't get any worse....Yes he did bring back some respectability for a few years BUT when he blew the team up and went for the second rebuild?? It was a utter failure big time..

I guess me sitting here with Bergevin 6 years in and seeing the team sitting back in the bottom of the NHL they same way it was when he took over, and no real contender was ever built here over last 6 years....I can't see a second rebuild under Bergevin working any better than Bob Gainey's second try...

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
No, when Gainey showed up we was a disaster...so it couldn't get any worse....Yes he did bring back some respectability for a few years BUT when he blew the team up and went for the second rebuild?? It was a utter failure big time..

I guess me sitting here with Bergevin 6 years in and seeing the team sitting back in the bottom of the NHL they same way it was when he took over, and no real contender was ever built here over last 6 years....I can't see a second rebuild under Bergevin working any better than Bob Gainey's second try...

You just be thinking of Gauthier in 2010, not Gainey.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Was it [then current number of games]?
Not sure what you're asking (or cleverly implying), but there's a difference between venting your emotions after 8 games -- the 1-6-1 start -- and accepting hard evidence after almost half the season. I thought we'd make the playoffs despite the downgrades, but I'm not going to keep yelling at the mountain of facts that says otherwise. 38 games carries weight. 8 games does not.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Not sure what you're asking (or cleverly implying), but there's a difference between venting your emotions after 8 games -- the 1-6-1 start -- and accepting hard evidence after almost half the season. I thought we'd make the playoffs despite the downgrades, but I'm not going to keep yelling at the mountain of facts that says otherwise. 38 games carries weight. 8 games does not.

I remember when Price came back a bunch of us (myself included) thought we had a legitimate shot at the playoffs with his elite goaltending. I agree, our fanbase was quite emotional at that point, and maybe schizophrenic too.

I think we're all on the same side now though, this team is trash.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Big game against Florida today. A few other teams that need to win : Ottawa and Vancouver

Best case would be for Ottawa to win in OT or SO, that way they get the 2 points and Boston gets another point to pull ahead a bit more.

A Hurricanes win would help as they can also pull ahead a bit more.

Reactions: ottawa

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
A lot of fans could tell this team would suck after an atrocious off season and a poor start.
A lot of fans predicted the same last year, some before the season started, even more after a lousy January. Yet they finished with 103 points. Predictions don't count for much when they're based on tiny sample sizes.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Well I'm down with it.

Trade Shaw, Pacioretty and if you know a of GM that hasn't watched a hockey game this season and only goes by previous draft position, try to unload Alzner to that poor soul.

What an abysmal season.

Reactions: dralaf

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I remember when Price came back a bunch of us (myself included) thought we had a legitimate shot at the playoffs with his elite goaltending. I agree, our fanbase was quite emotional at that point, and maybe schizophrenic too.

I think we're all on the same side now though, this team is trash.
Yeah, now the debate is about how to fail, rather than if. Outright tanking is a sketchy way of fixing problems, because by definition you have to make the existing problem bigger to sink lower. How much will you damage your good players by creating a losing environment? Serious questions.

But I think you're right -- most of us agree the important 'win' will be at the draft, not on the ice.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Well I'm down with it.

Trade Shaw, Pacioretty and if you know a of GM that hasn't watched a hockey game this season and only goes by previous draft position, try to unload Alzner to that poor soul.

What an abysmal season.

The only team I know for sure would take a guy like Alzner is Edmonton, because they defend the crap out of Kris Russell.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Best case would be for Ottawa to win in OT or SO, that way they get the 2 points and Boston gets another point to pull ahead a bit more.

A Hurricanes win would help as they can also pull ahead a bit more.

Forgive me for being pessimistic here, but to me it doesn't matter where Montreal finishes...even if we get the 1 overall pick. They will screw him up ....

Secondly ,we always really SUCK IN YEARS where there is no Crosby McDavid Matthews etc!!!!

Gally27 never changed our fortunes at 3rd overall...

The first overall pick this year is a D man ....

We need a 85-100 point forward franchise player

So even if we get 1st overall this year , it sucks

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Yeah, now the debate is about how to fail, rather than if. Outright tanking is a sketchy way of fixing problems, because by definition you have to make the existing problem bigger to sink lower. How much will you damage your good players by creating a losing environment? Serious questions.

But I think you're right -- most of us agree the important 'win' will be at the draft, not on the ice.

I don't think trading Pacioretty would hurt the team at this point. 1) he can't lead, he's the captain and it's clear he's not leading them on the ice, 2) he's not producing and 3) he's not helping the team off the scoresheet either.

Idk what effect it would have in the locker room, but I'm certain trading him won't have an effect on the ice, he's f***ing useless. It might even help the habs and hurt the tank if anything lol.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I voted tank.

I Disagree on shaw being unmovable. Toronto showed us that any player is movable... He has that two stanley cup rings that some other stupid GM might buy into.
but ya tank tank tank

MB fired and patches traded , that is the bare minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad