GDT: Facing Extinction: Cats vs. Blue Sweaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Miraculously, we have had the same scouting staff for a decade plus of mediocrity as the whirlwind of owners, coaches, and GMs come and go.

Coincidence?

They scouts should all be fired. They are garbage. Tallon has a bias for North American size and speed. He reminds me of Burke. And yes, I know he drafted Barkov but that was a no brainer. He drafts like Brian Burke, yuck.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
When you have more picks, you should hit on more picks. Simple as that. We only hit on one. That's it. That's why we still suck. It's not a great draft at all. A great draft would mean we have great players. We have one promising guy out of 5. While other teams managed to get one promising/future stud with one pick. 20% success is ****. There were a lot of good players to be had. We managed to miss most. Fowler has more skill than Guds. He managed to make Team USA and was great. Faulk made Team USA too. Two d-men would could desperately use and I would love to have over Guds and Petrovic.

When you build through the draft and fail to pick the right players, you've failed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NHL_Entry_Draft

And all that link does is show u r wrong... 29 other teams could have said if we took player x over player y... La took forbort over jugs... So did 17 other teams... In that case all of those teams had a **** draft! We can debate this till we're blue in the face but at the end of the day we got 2 core pieces and potentially more coming out of 1 draft which equals success

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
And all that link does is show u r wrong... 29 other teams could have said if we took player x over player y... La took forbort over jugs... So did 17 other teams... In that case all of those teams had a **** draft! We can debate this till we're blue in the face but at the end of the day we got 2 core pieces and potentially more coming out of 1 draft which equals success

It's okay to miss on picks. It will happen. You can't miss on 4 of the 5, especially the third overall, when you acquired those picks because you wanted to build a team long term through the draft.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
They scouts should all be fired. They are garbage. Tallon has a bias for North American size and speed. He reminds me of Burke. And yes, I know he drafted Barkov but that was a no brainer. He drafts like Brian Burke, yuck.

Barkov was a no brainer? Over Jines and druin? Haha give credit where it is due that wS far from no brainer! At least come with valid points if u want any credibility

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
It's okay to miss on picks. It will happen. You can't miss on 4 of the 5, especially the third overall, when you acquired those picks because you wanted to build a team long term through the draft.

How R 4 of the 5 misses? Again your expectations r unrealistic sorry to say

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The 2012 team wasn't even good. They still lost 45 games but rode the loser point, an out of this world PP and 2 over the hill goalies playing on their head to make the playoffs (not to mention how bad the east was in 2012). Yeah we took NJD to 7, but they were bad, and look at how terrible the next 2 teams they faced were.

Jan 19, 2006
Fowler is good because he learned from good players in Anaheim.

Gudbranson plays with Jovo.

It's not just drafting

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

It's not just drafting

Disagree. They have different skill sets. Fowler is composed, great skater with the puck, and has a high hockey IQ. It doesn't help playing with Jovo at all but Fowler doesn't exactly have Chara on his team. The whole d-core of Anaheim isn't much to write home about.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Disagree. They have different skill sets. Fowler is composed, great skater with the puck, and has a high hockey IQ. It doesn't help playing with Jovo at all but Fowler doesn't exactly have Chara on his team. The whole d-core of Anaheim isn't much to write home about.

He plays on one of the best teams in the west... A lot easier to look good in that situation... Again it's irrelevant who went after or before any of our picks cause every team would then look at every draft as a failure...fact is we had a nice haul!

Jan 19, 2006

Yes, they have different skill sets - Fowler was the PMD/offensive upside. Gudbranson was the big, intimidating defensive stalwart. That's no revelation. You ignore the fact that Fowler would not have been to develop his skill set with the putrid pathetic Panthers to the degree has with a much better team in Anaheim.

You cannot ignore the environment these players are put into.

I really, really doubt that had the Panthers drafted Fowler, he would have made Team USA.

Do you think Huberdeau regresses like this on a real NHL hockey squad?

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Also defensive d like guds typically take longer to develope than pmd like fowler... I have no reason to believe guds won't be a beast in 2-3 years when this team is ready to contend...

Gordonx11

#CatsAreComing
Jan 21, 2013
Kansas City, MO
[/QUOTE]=ucanthanzalthetruth;80740249]The 2012 team wasn't even good. They still lost 45 games but rode the loser point, an out of this world PP and 2 over the hill goalies playing on their head to make the playoffs (not to mention how bad the east was in 2012). Yeah we took NJD to 7, but they were bad, and look at how terrible the next 2 teams they faced were.[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh: oh goddd these forums

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
=ucanthanzalthetruth;80740249]The 2012 team wasn't even good. They still lost 45 games but rode the loser point, an out of this world PP and 2 over the hill goalies playing on their head to make the playoffs (not to mention how bad the east was in 2012). Yeah we took NJD to 7, but they were bad, and look at how terrible the next 2 teams they faced were.[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh: oh goddd these forums[/QUOTE]

Yes, because these last 2 years have proven that the 2012 team wasn't just flash in the pan complete luck, a poor team who lucked out. BTW just responding with a bunch of laughing emoticons is a very poor response, I don't mind counterarguments, but they have to at least be intelligent.

Sykwitit

Mar 2, 2013
Guys lets focus on the prize here! With Barkov out for the season and Buffalo on a recent hot streak we have a legit shot at #1 now.....well still gotta worry about those pesky Oilers :help:

Jan 19, 2006
Guys lets focus on the prize here! With Barkov out for the season and Buffalo on a recent hot streak we have a legit shot at #1 now.....well still gotta worry about those pesky Oilers :help:

Don't worry dude - no legit #1 player in this draft so we'll probably win the lottery.

Then NHL can change the rules for McDavid draft and penalize us for winning the lottery this year.

We'll finish last again and draft #30.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Don't worry dude - no legit #1 player in this draft so we'll probably win the lottery.

Then NHL can change the rules for McDavid draft and penalize us for winning the lottery this year.

Exactly! The NHL will never let Florida draft McDavid.

-ghoste

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

You can book it. We could finish 4th and still get the 1rst overall

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

Please, go back 10 drafts and see how many teams "missed" with their first round picks. Not all first rounders turn out to be all-star players... it happens... TO ALL TEAMS.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013

It's not just drafting

If Gudbranson was paired with Bobby Orr he would still be a clumsy skater, would still be constantly beat to the outside, would still ice the puck multiple times a game, and if Orr set him up for a one-timer I'm sure his stick would still explode into a million twigs.

Point is, the shortcomings in Guddy's game all come down to his individual limitations and have nothing to do with who is out there with him. The guy sucks, plain and simple and many aspects of his game need to improve before he can be considered a serviceable NHL D-man, let alone worthy of a #3 pick.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
When you have more picks, you should hit on more picks. Simple as that. We only hit on one. That's it. That's why we still suck. It's not a great draft at all. A great draft would mean we have great players. We have one promising guy out of 5. While other teams managed to get one promising/future stud with one pick. 20% success is ****. There were a lot of good players to be had. We managed to miss most. Fowler has more skill than Guds. He managed to make Team USA and was great. Faulk made Team USA too. Two d-men would could desperately use and I would love to have over Guds and Petrovic.

When you build through the draft and fail to pick the right players, you've failed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NHL_Entry_Draft

Dude I agree with a lot of what you've said, but clearly you do not remember the 2010 draft very well.

Fowler plummeted out of the top 10. Teams saw something in him that made them stay away. 3 of the top 10 picks from that year aren't even in the NHL right now, and 7 of the top 15 aren't in the NHL.

You don't seem to realize how drafts work. Most players don't hit. That's just the way it is. I understand your frustration because trust me, I'm pretty pissed myself, but it's really ****ing easy to sit here 4 years later and dictate what the team "should've done".

8 teams after us passed on Fowler. There must've been some reason for that. The guy was a projected top-5 pick that dropped to 12th. Last guy to plummet like that in the 1st round was Angelo Esposito and look how he turned out. Fowler has turned into a great defenseman but there was obviously something about him that MANY teams just didn't like.

We also got Nick Bjugstad at 19th OVERALL! That is insane considering he's shaping up to be a top-5 pick in that draft.

I also remember when Howden was picked and how happy people were. The kid has unreal speed and that is easily the most translatable talent you can have in the NHL. Unfortunately he hasn't panned out.

Maybe it's time we started thinking about our DEVELOPMENT of players and not our ****ing draft history. Bjugs went back to college for 3 years and look how he has turned out. We took our time with Hubs but he just isn't getting it right now, so it's tough to say. But maybe our prospect development needs to be worked on.

As others have said, Bjugstad alone makes the 2010 draft a success. I don't think most people around here realize how rare of a talent he is. Kid's gonna finish with 20+ goals in his rookie campaign. The sky is the limit for him at this point.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I find Huberdeau's regression far more concerning than Gudbranson's perceived lack of progression.

Agreed. Guds is still very young for his player type. Chris Pronger was a common comparison when Guds was drafted and even CP was -33 in his first 3 NHL seasons.

He wasn't drafted to be an offensive stud. He was drafted as a tough, stay at home defenseman that could chip in 20 points a season. At this point, I think he is on the right path to being top 2/3 d-man. Go look at tape from his first season. The guy looked like he couldn't even skate. Now you see him confidently handle the puck, even join the rush at times. His skating is night and day difference.

I'm with you ATF though, look at the environment these players are put into. The scrubs and 4th liners and has beens that they learn from. I mean Huberdeau played with Drew Shore and Peter freaking Mueller in his first season. It's obvious these guys aren't being bred in the right environment. As I said in my above post, Bjugs had one of the longest stints between being drafted and putting on a Panthers sweater and he may very well turn out to be the best pick in franchise history. Whether or not the wait is a factor, it's tough to say.

With regards to Hubs, I am also much more concerned with him than Guds. Guds will start to round out to the player he will be next season and we will continue to see a progression. I like Guds and I think he has a lot more to show at this level. Hubs I don't know. As others have said, he's playing such uninspired hockey. He does is stupid fancy dekes that work 1/10 times, and there is just no hustle in him. He looks disinterested, and I wouldn't care about floating if he scored but he's not contributing to the team in any way, which is the most alarming thing IMO.

Hubs has been frustrating to say the least but I want to see what one more, full off season of training can do for him. If he comes out the same in the first couple months of next season, then it's time to start calling a spade a spade and realizing we have just another floating 15 goal scorer. I really, REALLY hope that's not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad