Prospect Info: Fabian Lysell

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
He’ll be ok, it’s still very early. His start to last year in Providence makes me hopeful. But there’s definitely things he needs to build on to be effective at NHL level imo.

Not too worried about him turning into Kase, that’s a pretty rare case and I think Lysell has better awareness than Kase.

Needs to get better/stronger in board battles and improve his decision making with the puck, less taking on 2-3 players by himself and generate thru others.

I think he’ll get there. Would like to see him lined up next to more talent next game to see how he feeds off them.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Why? And this certainly qualifies as hammering him, no?

I'd think that telling a prospect that has never played an NHL game that they'll be in the NHL still 5-6 years later, after scoring 30ish pts, is giving them GOOD news. That definitely beats the odds on any given prospect.

And keep in mind that's just one possible outcome for him. How much he commits himself to being a pro will largely decide if it ends up being one of the other outcomes. He's certainly got the tools for it to be a better outcome. Many of them do.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Watching the Behind The B episode one thing is clear,he's slowly turning into a Man

Seems like he comes from a good family. For Lysell now it's all about time and maturing as an athlete. The skills are there, and it's just a case of whether he can work out how to deploy them effectively at the top level, which with rare exceptions is not a given for anybody. I'm more interested to see how he looks in 12 months' time.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I'd think that telling a prospect that has never played an NHL game that they'll be in the NHL still 5-6 years later, after scoring 30ish pts, is giving them GOOD news. That definitely beats the odds on any given prospect.

And keep in mind that's just one possible outcome for him. How much he commits himself to being a pro will largely decide if it ends up being one of the other outcomes. He's certainly got the tools for it to be a better outcome. Many of them do.
Pretty clear that using Donato as a comp was a perjorative, no?

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Let me say right off I'm not giving up on him. A lot can change over time for a kid this age but

if you forced me to put money on star or bust, right now I'd bet bust.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Let me say right off I'm not giving up on him. A lot can change over time for a kid this age but

if you forced me to put money on star or bust, right now I'd bet bust.
He tries to play fast (utilizing his skating) but is unable to digest the pace. Not abnormal for a player his age.

For now... I wouldn't mind if he kept it simple.

Doesn't look as comfortable as he did...last pre season.

Reactions: BiteThisBurrows

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Pretty clear that using Donato as a comp was a perjorative, no?

Look at the 3 names above and the 3 names below Fabian in the 2021 draft. How many will be in the NHL in 5 years? I'm gonna say not many. Dallas looks like they hit really fast on Wyatt Johnston at #23. But not sure anyone is drafting better than Dallas these days (Dom can pop in there).

I'd say Lysell being Donato-ish is the better than the average outcome at #21. Being Pasta is the rare outcome.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Look at the 3 names above and the 3 names below Fabian in the 2021 draft. How many will be in the NHL in 5 years? I'm gonna say not many. Dallas looks like they hit really fast on Wyatt Johnston at #23. But not sure anyone is drafting better than Dallas these days (Dom can pop in there).

I'd say Lysell being Donato-ish is the better than the average outcome at #21. Being Pasta is the rare outcome.
Why do we need to compare? Relax, he’s going to Providence. He can work on his game there. Very simple. He’s got what a lot of their prospects don’t have, skill and speed. As long as they don’t screw him up by trying to make him Bergeron, he’ll be fine. He’ll learn the game down there.

Reactions: Kegs

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Why do we need to compare? Relax, he’s going to Providence. He can work on his game there. Very simple. He’s got what a lot of their prospects don’t have, skill and speed. As long as they don’t screw him up by trying to make him Bergeron, he’ll be fine. He’ll learn the game down there.

When they draft them, all they do is compare. All the process is is guys relative to other guys.

He said a Ryan Donato type career would be bad. I'm simply saying that statistically speaking, it's good. And with some luck, he's way better than that.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
When they draft them, all they do is compare. All the process is is guys relative to other guys.

He said a Ryan Donato type career would be bad. I'm simply saying that statistically speaking, it's good. And with some luck, he's way better than that.
Donato is on his 5th team in 7 years. He has 135 points in 325 games averaging 13 minutes a game. He’s only hit 30 points once. He had 2 points in 14 playoff games last year and was a -2.

He’s not a good comp for Lysell in his play style - specifically, Lysell’s elite skating ability - and using him as one really isn’t a good thing whatsoever.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Donato is on his 5th team in 7 years. He has 135 points in 325 games averaging 13 minutes a game. He’s only hit 30 points once. He had 2 points in 14 playoff games last year and was a -2.

He’s not a good comp for Lysell in his play style - specifically, Lysell’s elite skating ability - and using him as one really isn’t a good thing whatsoever.

All of that is above the average for a #21 in the NHL. Just the facts mang. That's all I'm saying. Even being in the show 7 years in is way beyond expectactions for a #21.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I’m high on lysell, I think he’s our clear cut best prospect and think he’s going to be a good player.

A Ryan donato career will be bad. Sure probably not for donato and his family, but he’s the definition of a JAG around this league. If lysell ends up being donato that’s a disappointment. I believe he will be better.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Not surprising....

Hopefully he is not discouraged. Needs to have a big season down at Providence.

Reactions: Kegs

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I’m high on lysell, I think he’s our clear cut best prospect and think he’s going to be a good player.

A Ryan donato career will be bad. Sure probably not for donato and his family, but he’s the definition of a JAG around this league. If lysell ends up being donato that’s a disappointment. I believe he will be better.
Clear cut? At this moment it would seem the Bruins staff and others disagree.

Reactions: rocketdan9

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Getting sent down is humbling, and motivating. Hopefully this will be a good thing for him.

He has elite skills in terms of his skating, shot and vision, and could still end up being the best pro of all our current prospects, but he needs to work on the 'details' off the puck. His fitness (while he should be given credit for getting much stronger) wasn't where it needed to be either.

Brad Marchand was sent down 5 times before finally making the team out of camp. This is normal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad