Faber

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
He was traded after a season at U of Minne and WJC. Bland and Herby were all over it saying its a mistake. I personally thought it was a fair deal at the time. But in the end, its another trade Blake lost.
The trade was in 2022. It was after Faber played two years at Minn and the Olympics where he was the top US defender. It was clear he was at least able to replace Roy on the second pair immediately.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Because it's insane! How does this not prove it even more? How do you guys who continue to defend this bizarre obsession with the AHL? Look at guys like Faber and Hughes or the dozens and dozens of other players around the league who are contributing (in some cases massively) without AHL usage while we have the clowns in positions of power in this organization telling our fans "Only the McDavid's of the world don't need AHL time"

The post I was replying to wasn't implicating that Faber didn't warrant a spot, it was trying to argue that he's not as good as the players here, which is complete and total BS, we are 60% of the way through the season and he's been better than anyone on LA, and frankly it's not even a debate.

What on Earth are you talking about? He's a Top 20 d-man in the NHL and he makes $925k. How does someone playing at al all-star level and likely rookie of the year on an ELC negatively effect a cap? It's the opposite, and in any other place in the league a player like Faber on a $925k contract would give financial flexibility (you know by being an all-star caliber player making peanuts) to trade a player like Roy to maybe address other massive holes created due to the criminal mismanagement by Rob Blake, but apparently in LA that can't happen. Am I living in some kind of fantasy world?

Again, you guys use this "He wouldn't be doing this in LA" as some kind of comment to minimize him or defend the Kings, when all that shows is how completely inept and clueless the management and development staff for this team is.

If you have a 21 year old star defenseman making under $1m and you can't fit him into your roster that is currently clinging to a wild-card spot without "paying his AHL dues" or "learning the system", well that tells you all you need to know about how screwed up the entire situation with this team is.

Nothing about this franchise is a meritocracy, from the top down, from management all the way to lineup choices.

No one is trying to minimize him, we all knew he could play. What we are saying is there was no spot YET. Our line up was Doughty-Roy-Spence to start the season . Our pecking order was Spence-Clarke... where would Faber fit in all this? The only way he starts is if he beats out Spence for the job. Spence had a really great camp. Who knows if he would've. Our cap space to start the year was non existent, where do you add another million? Remember having to start with 17 skaters...why?

Elliott: Kings' success could depend on how they adjust to their new salary-cap reality

Any savings in cap space would've gone towards a real starting goalie [ say 5 mil plus], and guess what, another scoring left winger with the left over change. You just know Blake would've messed that up too. What if he used the extra cap and traded him for Hellenbeck, would you still be upset?

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Drew is playing like he's worth about 7mil AAV and the retention will be the difference with his current salary (4mil).. point being its a sunk cost. But if you can get someone to bite and move him with less retention - go for it all day long.
I love Drew, Still have his autographed jersey shadow boxed in my rec room. Got to party with him at one of Stoll's charity golf tournaments in Saskatoon years back, and do think he is one of the best defenseman the Kings have ever had, possibly the best. I just wish he would have taken a bit of a team friendly contract, shut his mouth about bringing people in, and not played like a pouting child for two years when things were not going his way. To me he has just as big of part in where this team is, as does the management.

I don't think the team would trade him unless we go into the toilet in his last year. He still has elite defensive instincts, I just wish we could get him down to the 23 minute a night mark and maybe move him to PP2.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
No one is trying to minimize him, we all knew he could play. What we are saying is there was no spot YET. Our line up was Doughty-Roy-Spence to start the season . Our pecking order was Spence-Clarke... where would Faber fit in all this? The only way he starts is if he beats out Spence for the job. Spence had a really great camp. Who knows if he would've. Our cap space to start the year was non existent, where do you add another million? Remember having to start with 17 skaters...why?

Elliott: Kings' success could depend on how they adjust to their new salary-cap reality

Any savings in cap space would've gone towards a real starting goalie [ say 5 mil plus], and guess what, another scoring left winger with the left over change. You just know Blake would've messed that up too. What if he used the extra cap and traded him for Hellenbeck, would you still be upset?
People have been talking about making room for the young D since the 21-22 season by trading the older guys like Doughty, Roy, Walker, and even Durzi. Why did Blake wait a year+ to make any trades when Spence and Clarke were signed and clearly ready in the summer of 2022 and Faber would be ready when signing in the spring? Either they play well or the Kings end up with Bedard or another young stud. This would negate any thoughts of trading for PLD.

The savings of trading the older D plus not adding Fiala opens up a ton of cap space and would have provided an opening for one of the forward prospects we are still dicking around in the bottom six. The Kings wouldn't be in a cap crunch if they had made these decisions when we were talking about in the spring/summer of 2022.

The Kings had limited roster room because they trade three guys for a single player with the same cap hit. Blake chose poorly again. It is just a string of easily avoidable mistakes by management.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Another MASSIVE night for #1D Brock Faber, assist, +, 28mins like a regular Drew Doughty

should win the Calder purely on consistency alone

how many MASSIVE nights has our top six winger Fiala had?

Reactions: Play and kilowatt

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I love Drew, Still have his autographed jersey shadow boxed in my rec room. Got to party with him at one of Stoll's charity golf tournaments in Saskatoon years back, and do think he is one of the best defenseman the Kings have ever had, possibly the best. I just wish he would have taken a bit of a team friendly contract, shut his mouth about bringing people in, and not played like a pouting child for two years when things were not going his way. To me he has just as big of part in where this team is, as does the management.
Agree with all your points. The part in bold is the main thing to me. I do think the Kopi/DD leadership is somewhat lacking and part of the reason for the tailspin. Kopi is the gentleman hockey player.. DD is sort of a brat. We need more of warrior like a Messier at least as an assistant captain. To me guys like JQ, Greene, Richards, JW, Stoll all had this quality.

Reactions: funky

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Another MASSIVE night for #1D Brock Faber, assist, +, 28mins like a regular Drew Doughty

It's almost like every player traded away is supposed to suck balls for the fanbase to feel validated. Weird...

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

There was “no spot yet” for a player playing at a star level on a 925k contract on a team clinging to a wild card spot? So in other words you are saying the Kings, a PROFESSIONAL hockey team are not a meritocracy?

How do you make room for a star defenseman who is maybe the best value on the league with his contract? I don’t know, there are these things called trades, where you can trade out a lesser dman making $3+m to make room a better one making less than $1m. Do you realize what you are saying, you are arguing that possibly the best contract in the NHL this season wouldn’t work here for cap reasons? Any team up against the cap would bend over backwards to have an impact player like Faber on a contract like that.

It’s a good thing LA didn’t win the lottery last year, would have had to send Bedard back to junior because there was no room on the roster and with the cap.

Last edited:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

They tried to sign Faber and play him in the NHL immediately while the team was on its way to the playoffs in 2022. If he was not traded, he would have been at the top of that Spence-Clarke pecking order.

With the way he is a total natural, he probably forces movement with the RHD by Blake to start the 2023 season or shortly thereafter.

They liked him more than Spence, no doubt. This organization still can't draft--develop actually--scorers so Blake moved a guy he really liked in Faber to acquire scoring since they still had a lot of RHD, including Spence and Clarke.

Unfortunately, Blake and company didn't know what they had which is a recurring theme when it comes to player evaluation once they are in the system.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
There was “no spot yet” for a player playing at a star level on a 925k contract on a team clinging to a wild card spot? So in other words you are saying the Kings, a PROFESSIONAL hockey team are not a meritocracy?
I would unironically say that the Kings are not a meritocracy. We don't have to look any further than Brandt Clarke to see that. He's done nothing but dominate every league he's played in, yet in four months in the NHL (October to December 2022, January to February 2024) he's played a grand total of 15 NHL games. I can't imagine a worse way to utilize your elite young defenseman. I have to imagine Faber's over the moon about not coming up through our system.

Reactions: The Pale King

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Its obvious to the most casual observer that the kings were a popularity contest under macclellan and nothing even close to a meritocracy. Hopefully, thatll change but i doubt it

• Haha
Reactions: Ghetty Green

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
People have been talking about making room for the young D since the 21-22 season by trading the older guys like Doughty, Roy, Walker, and even Durzi. Why did Blake wait a year+ to make any trades when Spence and Clarke were signed and clearly ready in the summer of 2022 and Faber would be ready when signing in the spring? Either they play well or the Kings end up with Bedard or another young stud. This would negate any thoughts of trading for PLD.

The savings of trading the older D plus not adding Fiala opens up a ton of cap space and would have provided an opening for one of the forward prospects we are still dicking around in the bottom six. The Kings wouldn't be in a cap crunch if they had made these decisions when we were talking about in the spring/summer of 2022.

The Kings had limited roster room because they trade three guys for a single player with the same cap hit. Blake chose poorly again. It is just a string of easily avoidable mistakes by management.
the idea of Faber not playing over Englund simply because he's right handed is hilarious and also exactly what would have happened because this organization is stupid

they knew what they had in Faber when they offered him a roster spot in Minnesota. if they weren't ever going to trade Doughty, they should have at least traded Roy that summer instead. he could have easily fetched a scoring winger or good futures.

Reactions: FrozenKing18

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

I dunno. Fiala has had a lot of MASSIVE f***ups so far this season.
Blake’s entire time with the LA Kings? I agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad