Faber

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
He’s better than all of them. The fact that we are debating about whether a Top 15-20 d-man this season, making $925k would be in the lineup for a team clinging to a wildcard spot, tells you just how messed up the Kings developmental philosophy under Blake really is.
Then the Kings can't afford him. He will be a 10mil/8yr NMC Dman. Where does he fit on the Kings?

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Then the Kings can't afford him. He will be a 10mil/8yr NMC Dman. Where does he fit on the Kings?
What argument is this? Hes too good for the Kings?
This is a team that hasnt won a playoff series in 10 years. It was time to turn the page from the old guard and they chose to pay veterans and bloat the upper middle part of the roster instead of going on with their own draft picks.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
What argument is this? Hes too good for the Kings?
This is a team that hasnt won a playoff series in 10 years. It was time to turn the page from the old guard and they chose to pay veterans and bloat the upper middle part of the roster instead of going on with their own draft picks.
You guys all assume that there's someone waiting to take the Kings garbage at no cost to make room for these guys.

Reactions: kingsfan28

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
You guys all assume that there's someone waiting to take the Kings garbage at no cost to make room for these guys.
What garbage? There is talk Walker will return a first. If thats the case Roy is worth a lot.
Durzi got a 2nd round pick. You could retain half on Doughty if you have to.
Making stuff up like hed be too expensive is such a joke. Now the excuse changes from Faber wouldnt have signed in LA to they had to trade him because he was going to be too expensive.
And if by garbage you mean Doughty then blame Blake for building his whole roster around garbage.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You can't keep both and Doughty is not moveable.

Okay, then in this world where you can't trade anyone else, then you're trading Faber for massive value, not WITH a 1st for a winger. Which is emblematic of exactly the problem we're describing.

I'm not sure what the question is here. If it's leading back to "well what was BLake supposed to do?!?" I'm driving off a cliff.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

What?

He’s on an ELC through next season. At which time he will probably get a contract around what Power got (probably a bit more).

But you tackle that when the time comes.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Okay, then in this world where you can't trade anyone else, then you're trading Faber for massive value, not WITH a 1st for a winger. Which is emblematic of exactly the problem we're describing.

I'm not sure what the question is here. If it's leading back to "well what was BLake supposed to do?!?" I'm driving off a cliff.
Fiala was more valuable at the time. It was not going to be a 1 for 1 trade. You can't use Faber's status right now as the value he was when he was traded for Fiala. That's really stupid.

What?

He’s on an ELC through next season. At which time he will probably get a contract around what Power got (probably a bit more).

But you tackle that when the time comes.
If Faber is as good as he's being hailed as around here, he's going to get a much bigger contract.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
If everyone except Blake knew that Faber was going to be the equivalent of McDavid on D, how come he wasn’t drafted until mid-2nd round? In fact, there were 10 other dmen drafted before him. Man, that’s a lot of dumb GMs out there. Weird…
He was traded after a season at U of Minne and WJC. Bland and Herby were all over it saying its a mistake. I personally thought it was a fair deal at the time. But in the end, its another trade Blake lost.

Last edited:

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Can we do it again with Drew. The product is not worth the 11 million a year squeeze.
Drew is playing like he's worth about 7mil AAV and the retention will be the difference with his current salary (4mil).. point being its a sunk cost. But if you can get someone to bite and move him with less retention - go for it all day long.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Fiala was more valuable at the time. It was not going to be a 1 for 1 trade. You can't use Faber's status right now as the value he was when he was traded for Fiala. That's really stupid.

If Faber is as good as he's being hailed as around here, he's going to get a much bigger contract.
Ok and that’s a bad thing?

All over the league teams are signing guys to long-term, big money deals after their ELC’s end, it’s the norm now for high-end young players.

Reactions: kilowatt and Play

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Then we move Clarke.

I genuinely don't know what you're arguing. It looks like you're trying to post a series of gotchas in the vein of 'what was blake supposed to do?!?' but it all circles back to the main point which is the devaluing and squandering of assets who are all performing marvelously on teams that know how to use and deploy them, rather than artificially glass-ceiling their income and roles for years in favor of expensive vets who they are likely better than.

We could be younger, cheaper, and better, and there are a lot of strange attempts to minimize that.

Like saying "well if Faber here he wouldn't even be playing" isn't a gotcha, it's an indictment.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

“We can’t keep McDavid because we signed Dubois”

You’re out of your mind. Blake created this f***ing mess in the first place.

Reactions: Schmooley

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I genuinely don't know what you're arguing. It looks like you're trying to post a series of gotchas in the vein of 'what was blake supposed to do?!?' but it all circles back to the main point which is the devaluing and squandering of assets who are all performing marvelously on teams that know how to use and deploy them, rather than artificially glass-ceiling their income and roles for years in favor of expensive vets who they are likely better than.

We could be younger, cheaper, and better, and there are a lot of strange attempts to minimize that.

Like saying "well if Faber here he wouldn't even be playing" isn't a gotcha, it's an indictment.
Rose tinted glasses. It was a value for value trade.
“We can’t keep McDavid because we signed Dubois”

You’re out of your mind. Blake created this f***ing mess in the first place.
No shit. Faber is not McDavid though.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Rose tinted glasses. It was a value for value trade.

No shit. Faber is not McDavid though.

Sure, but I’m just taking it to the extreme. Faber is one of the most coveted young players in the game right now. A defensively responsible 21 year old first pairing right shot defenseman.

Your argument is that we couldn’t afford him, but he’s the kind of guy you make room for. He’s looking to be a franchise cornerstone.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Sure, but I’m just taking it to the extreme. Faber is one of the most coveted young players in the game right now. A defensively responsible 21 year old first pairing right shot defenseman.

Your argument is that we couldn’t afford him, but he’s the kind of guy you make room for. He’s looking to be a franchise cornerstone.
He wasn't at the time though. He was valuable, but Fiala was more valuable which required the pick. We're still getting a lot of value out of Fiala. He's tied with Kempe for the scoring lead on the team. Of all the dumb moves Blake has made, this really isn't high on the list. Kinda reminds me of giving up Brayden Schenn for Mike Richards.

Go further back"
Doughty
Roy
Walker
Spence
Clarke
Faber
Durzi
Grans

This was our depth chart around the trade. Too many players not enough spots. Even today we face the same situation .
And Bjornfot for what it was worth at the time.

Reactions: Play and kingsfan28

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
He’s better than all of them. The fact that we are debating about whether a Top 15-20 d-man this season, making $925k would be in the lineup for a team clinging to a wildcard spot, tells you just how messed up the Kings developmental philosophy under Blake really is.

You've been as hard as anyone he on the Kings development can say without a doubt Faber would've walked into camp with ZERO games and replaced Doughty or even Roy as the top pairing rhd? He'd have been battling for a spot as 3 RD with the others, and looking at Kings MO from the past, been beaten out by Spence who had already put his time in . Also, with our cap issues, he would've been a victim of that too and started in the AHL like Clarke. The Faber you seen in Minn is not the guy you'd see on the Kings right now [ if at all this season]. In the future, perhaps.

Reactions: Play

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
He wasn't at the time though. He was valuable, but Fiala was more valuable which required the pick. We're still getting a lot of value out of Fiala. He's tied with Kempe for the scoring lead on the team. Of all the dumb moves Blake has made, this really isn't high on the list. Kinda reminds me of giving up Brayden Schenn for Mike Richards.

And Bjornfot for what it was worth at the time.

Yeah, that's a pretty good comparision. How come we don't beat that trade to death?😄

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
You've been as hard as anyone he on the Kings development
Because it's insane! How does this not prove it even more? How do you guys who continue to defend this bizarre obsession with the AHL? Look at guys like Faber and Hughes or the dozens and dozens of other players around the league who are contributing (in some cases massively) without AHL usage while we have the clowns in positions of power in this organization telling our fans "Only the McDavid's of the world don't need AHL time"

The post I was replying to wasn't implicating that Faber didn't warrant a spot, it was trying to argue that he's not as good as the players here, which is complete and total BS, we are 60% of the way through the season and he's been better than anyone on LA, and frankly it's not even a debate.
Also, with our cap issues, he would've been a victim of that too and started in the AHL like Clarke. The Faber you seen in Minn is not the guy you'd see on the Kings right now [ if at all this season]. In the future, perhaps.
What on Earth are you talking about? He's a Top 20 d-man in the NHL and he makes $925k. How does someone playing at al all-star level and likely rookie of the year on an ELC negatively effect a cap? It's the opposite, and in any other place in the league a player like Faber on a $925k contract would give financial flexibility (you know by being an all-star caliber player making peanuts) to trade a player like Roy to maybe address other massive holes created due to the criminal mismanagement by Rob Blake, but apparently in LA that can't happen. Am I living in some kind of fantasy world?

Again, you guys use this "He wouldn't be doing this in LA" as some kind of comment to minimize him or defend the Kings, when all that shows is how completely inept and clueless the management and development staff for this team is.

If you have a 21 year old star defenseman making under $1m and you can't fit him into your roster that is currently clinging to a wild-card spot without "paying his AHL dues" or "learning the system", well that tells you all you need to know about how screwed up the entire situation with this team is.

Nothing about this franchise is a meritocracy, from the top down, from management all the way to lineup choices.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad