Proposal: fabbri @ 50% retained to the oil for neal & a prospect

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I think when a team in in "win now" mode, which the Oilers should be, then you shouldn't overvalue prospects. If they can dump Neal and replace him with 3 years of someone like Hoffman (plus some extra cap space) that increases their chances of winning now. If they have a mill or 2 of cap space that also helps them add an impact player at the deadline.

They are wasting away the prime years of their superstars, a prospect (even a blue chip one) isn't going to move the needle in the next couple of years. At some point you have to spend some assets to try and make a run.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
and I turned off a lot of painful games in that time period. And let's not pretend that this thread wasn't started in a hamfisted, poorly executed attempt to scoop one of our best prospects for a dime a dozen player like Fabbri. *We* didn't come to *you*

Our suffering is in the past. Yours has just begun.

Hey now.

Detroit had Holland. Now you do.

Yours has just begun. Muwuuuhahahha.:sarcasm:

This honestly shouldn't even be portrayed as sarcasm. Yzerman's moves since joining Detroit have been light years ahead of Holland's since joining Edmonton.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
This honestly shouldn't even be portrayed as sarcasm. Yzerman's moves since joining Detroit have been light years ahead of Holland's since joining Edmonton.

I Am not sure you can measure Holland’s effect just yet,as we are still wilting under chiarellis Disasters.

Holland has done an amazing job this year and did not take on long term liabilities.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I Am not sure you can measure Holland’s effect just yet,as we are still wilting under chiarellis Disasters.

Holland has done an amazing job this year and did not take on long term liabilities.

Athanasiou for two 2nds was enough to show me he hasn't changed.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
It is accurate value. You're not getting a middle six winger for $1.4M and dumping your $5.75M x 3 albatross for a B level prospect or a mid-round pick. The price is insane because Neal's contract is insane.

The reason Edmonton would be absurd to do it is because they can just buy him out and keep Holloway. No team is taking Neal for less than a Holloway prospect or a 1st round pick.

And no, nobody's impressed with 19 goals considering twelve of them came from the PP on a unit with McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH.

1) First off the price is insane because Edmonton isn’t trying to move Neal . Plus there are better ways to move Neal . Retaining 50% + something small . Gets Edmonton out of Neals contract . Also it’s going to be a shortened season so it’s likely going to cost an owner less then 1/2 his cap hit this year . So 50% retained would bring real dollars down to under 1.5 million . Contracts are being prorated base on games played .

2) Better to give up a 1st round pick in an average draft . Holloway would go much higher in a normal draft year . This was a deep draft . Also Edmonton should be better this year .

3) So McDavid is now carrying Draisaitl whom according to HF is a 40 point player with out McDavid . Carrying RNH whom is a bust 1st OA pick . Now also carrying Neal all on the same pp . HFBoards fans are always moving the goal post to fit their argument.

Edmonton’s owner can afford to buy Neal out . He isn’t a cheap ass owner . He will pay real dollars to make the team better . He will not use top assets to do it as Edmonton is just starting to build up some depth . A 1/2 decent run in the playoffs and he got his buy out money back . A deep run and he is laughing all the way to the bank . A consistent playoff team and he is buying his own armour Truck to haul his money to the bank .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Yes because he knew the pandemic would hit . In a normal year with a increase in cap AA would be resigned and would of helped the team with speed in the middle 6 . Watch his last 3 games against Chicago he was just finding his grove . Edmonton signed 3 players for his money . So Holland loaded up for a playoff push and was smart enough to move on . How many GMs trade first round picks only to see the player they traded for walk

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yes because he knew the pandemic would hit . In a normal year with a increase in cap AA would be resigned and would of helped the team with speed in the middle 6 . Watch his last 3 games against Chicago he was just finding his grove . Edmonton signed 3 players for his money . So Holland loaded up for a playoff push and was smart enough to move on . How many GMs trade first round picks only to see the player they traded for walk

Not going to disagree outside of "Watch his games to see he found his groove". AA doesn't have a groove. He doesn't have a "hitting his stride". He has streaks of games where he is very very good. He has much larger streaks where he just putters around looking for a breakaway. AA is fools gold. He has games that make him worth all the frustration every now and again, but more of the time, he's a lead weight on your team.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
1) First off the price is insane because Edmonton isn’t trying to move Neal . Plus there are better ways to move Neal . Retaining 50% + something small . Gets Edmonton out of Neals contract . Also it’s going to be a shortened season so it’s likely going to cost an owner less then 1/2 his cap hit this year . So 50% retained would bring real dollars down to under 1.5 million . Contracts are being prorated base on games played .

2) Better to give up a 1st round pick in an average draft . Holloway would go much higher in a normal draft year . This was a deep draft . Also Edmonton should be better this year .

3) So McDavid is now carrying Draisaitl whom according to HF is a 40 point player with out McDavid . Carrying RNH whom is a bust 1st OA pick . Now also carrying Neal all on the same pp . HFBoards fans are always moving the goal post to fit their argument.

Edmonton’s owner can afford to buy Neal out . He isn’t a cheap ass owner . He will pay real dollars to make the team better . He will not use top assets to do it as Edmonton is just starting to build up some depth . A 1/2 decent run in the playoffs and he got his buy out money back . A deep run and he is laughing all the way to the bank . A consistent playoff team and he is buying his own armour Truck to haul his money to the bank .

Y'all really don't seem to get it, do you? I literally said like 5 pages ago that the entire concept of this thread is ridiculous because EDM would be much farther ahead to buy him out. But seeing as this thread still exists, and the concept is trade cost, that's what it would cost.

The multi-quote function is your friend. Also, I'm f***ing dying at AA, "Hitting his stride". AA doesn't have a stride, he has games that he feels like playing, and games that he doesn't feel like playing, and the latter is much more common than the former. But sure, go ahead and defend Holland for that one. Hopefully his next deadline trade is your 1st for Kyle Quincey.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
That's not close to fair value to dump 3 years of Neal and get back a decent young top 9 F. Lavoie probably won't even be as good as Fabbri

Fabbri (with some retainment perhaps) for Neal + 2021 1st + 3rd/B prospect is the least Wings would take imo
Giving up a 1st for a 3rd liner is horrible asset management. Especially since the Oilers arent at risk of any cap casualties

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Giving up a 1st for a 3rd liner is horrible asset management. Especially since the Oilers arent at risk of any cap casualties

Wait... Who's the first liner in the post?!

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you meant 1st round pick, not first liner.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why would Detroit do this? You'd essentially have to over pay a fair amount to retain and move a kid that is similar age to their young core and seemed to find a home there with his game.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Turn your sarcasm metre on.

James Neal is bad. Very bad. No team will take him off the oilers hands. On a bad team he is a 4th liner. If you seriously thought my comment was legit, I would suggest you polish up and watch some George Carlin or Lenny Bruce videos

And you think any proposal on HF is serious ? They are fantasy . So your response to a bad fantasy proposal is to make one of the worst one I ever seen on HF .

Reactions: TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad