Proposal: fabbri @ 50% retained to the oil for neal & a prospect

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's rich coming from a guy who's a fan of a team that had as many sub 70 point seasons as the wings have had 100 point seasons(4), and as many 100 point seasons as we've had sub 70 point seasons (1) in the last decade.

What is it, 1 playoff series win since 2006?

and I turned off a lot of painful games in that time period. And let's not pretend that this thread wasn't started in a hamfisted, poorly executed attempt to scoop one of our best prospects for a dime a dozen player like Fabbri. *We* didn't come to *you*

Our suffering is in the past. Yours has just begun.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hey now.

Detroit had Holland. Now you do.

Yours has just begun. Muwuuuhahahha.:sarcasm:

I'm cautiously impressed with his work this offseason. I would really preferred to get anyone but Mike Smith, but when guys like Greiss are getting 3.5 or whatever the Wings gave him, it's tough to be in that conversation. Went hard for Markstrom and it didn't happen, but I think I'd rather have Ennis+Kahun+Puljujarvi+Turris+Barrie for what roughly Markstrom got.

Reactions: TFHockey

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I'm cautiously impressed with his work this offseason. I would really preferred to get anyone but Mike Smith, but when guys like Greiss are getting 3.5 or whatever the Wings gave him, it's tough to be in that conversation. Went hard for Markstrom and it didn't happen, but I think I'd rather have Ennis+Kahun+Puljujarvi+Turris+Barrie for what roughly Markstrom got.

I agree. He really didn't commit anything long term.

He signed some skilled players, a couple I wanted Detroit to try to sign.

Also, not a Markstrom fan myself.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The Oilers are ahead in their rebuild, and in win now/soon mode, but we'll be there within ~2 seasons. By then the Oilers should be winning a round or 2, potentially more. With only 2 playoff appearances in 10 yrs, they have to learn how to win, before they can win...all youngish teams go through this.

Does Kenny plan on resigning RNH? What's his salary/term expectations?
Does he even wanna stay in EDM?

I'd enjoy a high-flying EDM vs. DET Cup Final, say 3 yrs from now.

There would be several storylines: Kenny vs. "the old team", Can vs. USA, McFaster vs. D-Fastest (Larkin still holds the record :laugh: iirc), Kenny's re-treads, Kenny's OTH vets as Cup lucky charms/black aces (Abdelkader), the corpse of T.Jurco etc.:sarcasm:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
The Oilers are ahead in their rebuild, and in win now/soon mode, but we'll be there within ~2 seasons. By then the Oilers should be winning a round or 2, potentially more. With only 2 playoff appearances in 10 yrs, they have to learn how to win, before they can win...all youngish teams go through this.

Does Kenny plan on resigning RNH? What's his salary/term expectations?
Does he even wanna stay in EDM?

I'd enjoy a high-flying EDM vs. DET Cup Final, say 3 yrs from now.

There would be several storylines: Kenny vs. "the old team", Can vs. USA, McFaster vs. D-Fastest (Larkin still holds the record :laugh: iirc), Kenny's re-treads, Kenny's OTH vets as Cup lucky charms/black aces (Abdelkader), the corpse of T.Jurco etc.:sarcasm:
There has been word that the Oilers are working on a Nuge extension and talks have been (slowly) ongoing this offseason. We expect it to be in the range of 7-8 years and 6.5-7.5 million. I would be very happy to give him a 8x6.5 or 7x7. Those are the two ideal contracts I’d put on the table, he’s worth every penny of that.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
There has been word that the Oilers are working on a Nuge extension and talks have been (slowly) ongoing this offseason. We expect it to be in the range of 7-8 years and 6.5-7.5 million. I would be very happy to give him a 8x6.5 or 7x7. Those are the two ideal contracts I’d put on the table, he’s worth every penny of that.
$28.5M for the top 3 F's, similar but less than the TOR model, four F for $40.5m.

Kenny's good with RFA's, it's the UFA's you gotta worry about. However, looking at the roster, it's an odd mix & I see a lot of potential turnover, in the bottom 7-9. D looks a lot better, they should hold the fort til Klef is back....if we have a damn season! I bet Kenny resigns Turris next year (assuming acceptable 3C production/30-35+pts), just a hunch.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Not being a jerk, but wouldn't that hamper the Oilers?

RNH should be re-signed, but the term should be shorter IMO.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
and I turned off a lot of painful games in that time period. And let's not pretend that this thread wasn't started in a hamfisted, poorly executed attempt to scoop one of our best prospects for a dime a dozen player like Fabbri. *We* didn't come to *you*

Our suffering is in the past. Yours has just begun.
What attempt was made to scoop anything? Some shitty poster made a bad proposal on a hockey forum.

I doubt the Wings will need 4 1st overalls to stop their suffering. Don't get too far ahead of yourself either, still haven't done shit - lost the play in to another team that's just beginning their suffering.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Not being a jerk, but wouldn't that hamper the Oilers?

RNH should be re-signed, but the term should be shorter IMO.
If we offer less term he’s just gonna go to the market where someone will give it to him cause he’ll play center for them. He’d probably get more money as well from someone desperate for a 2c. The top UFA’s are gonna get paid regardless of covid as we saw this offseason.

$28.5M for the top 3 F's, similar but less than the TOR model, four F for $40.5m.

Kenny's good with RFA's, it's the UFA's you gotta worry about. However, looking at the roster, it's an odd mix & I see a lot of potential turnover, in the bottom 7-9. D looks a lot better, they should hold the fort til Klef is back....if we have a damn season! I bet Kenny resigns Turris next year (assuming acceptable 3C production/30-35+pts), just a hunch.
The forwards are a massive upgrade over what we had last year. The defence took a huge hit with Klef being out for the year but Barrie coming in offsets that a bit and we could see a jump from Jones/Bouchard as well we have to wait and see what we have with the D. Goalies are the same but it’s a pretty easy in season trade to make for a guy like Kuemper if a goalie change is needed. Also, Turris has a 2 year deal and I expect him to give us 10-15 goals and 30-40 points from the 3rd line/2nd pp which would be great.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
If we offer less term he’s just gonna go to the market where someone will give it to him cause he’ll play center for them. He’d probably get more money as well from someone desperate for a 2c. The top UFA’s are gonna get paid regardless of covid as we saw this offseason.

Ok, thanks for your reply.

Reactions: 780il

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

The forwards are a massive upgrade over what we had last year. The defence took a huge hit with Klef being out for the year but Barrie coming in offsets that a bit and we could see a jump from Jones/Bouchard as well we have to wait and see what we have with the D. Goalies are the same but it’s a pretty easy in season trade to make for a guy like Kuemper if a goalie change is needed. Also, Turris has a 2 year deal and I expect him to give us 10-15 goals and 30-40 points from the 3rd line/2nd pp which would be great.
Agree with all that...for Turris, I meant, Kenny will offer another contract next yr, before he hits UFA again.

Bouchard was a very close 2nd for me vs. Dobson in that draft, at least til Zadina fell...never wanted Hughes/Boqvist for size & injury concerns, we'll see how they fare in the playoffs before final call.

Reactions: 780il

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Neal and Lavoie for Fabbri straight up or let this one die

That's not close to fair value to dump 3 years of Neal and get back a decent young top 9 F. Lavoie probably won't even be as good as Fabbri

Fabbri (with some retainment perhaps) for Neal + 2021 1st + 3rd/B prospect is the least Wings would take imo

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

The problem comes if you ever sustain being good, he will get sentimental with guys and overpay and overprotect to keep them. He is good with RFA's and terrible with UFA's, especially when you are trying to maintain good play.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
That's not close to fair value to dump 3 years of Neal and get back a decent young top 9 F. Lavoie probably won't even be as good as Fabbri

Fabbri (with some retainment perhaps) for Neal + 2021 1st + 3rd/B prospect is the least Wings would take imo
A mid-ish to later 1st + 3rd/B-prospect for THREE yrs of Neal $, no freaking way Yzerman does that. That's nowhere near enough & on top of that add a young, cheap & skilled Top6 F (paced close to this year) w/Filppula etc. as linemates.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
A mid-ish to later 1st + 3rd/B-prospect for THREE yrs of Neal $, no freaking way Yzerman does that. That's nowhere near enough & on top of that add a young, cheap & skilled Top6 F (paced close to this year) w/Filppula etc. as linemates.

Probably not, just the least I could see him possibly taking. Value roughly based on extrapolating 1 yr/5.7M Staal dump = 2nd, tho I know Staal's remaining salary is less than his cap hit. So 3 yrs/5.75M Neal dump = 3 2nd's or 1st + 3rd. I know everyone wants Marleau value for each year of any dump they take on but just not very realistic. Edmonton isn't in that tight of a spot where they'd be leveraged to pay crazy value like Dubas had to. But yeah it's fair to say 1st + 3rd is a little light given Fabbri going back, I don't think Yzerman really views him as a long term piece tho and his value league wide probably isnt much more than a mid round pick tbh

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The problem comes if you ever sustain being good, he will get sentimental with guys and overpay and overprotect to keep them. He is good with RFA's and terrible with UFA's, especially when you are trying to maintain good play.

I know he's got that reputation, but I do wonder how much of that was Detroit ownership being stubborn about the streak. Ennis, Barrie, and Turris were all UFA's and came at solid value

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I know he's got that reputation, but I do wonder how much of that was Detroit ownership being stubborn about the streak. Ennis, Barrie, and Turris were all UFA's and came at solid value
It's 5 factors this year: Covid cheaper/shorter contracts + no PO streak + players he's not emotionally married to (Abdelkader etc.) + players he didn't draft & develop. Also less cap room to make the mistakes of the past. Musical chairs too. Hoffman etc. still UFA.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Probably not, just the least I could see him possibly taking. Value roughly based on extrapolating 1 yr/5.7M Staal dump = 2nd, tho I know Staal's remaining salary is less than his cap hit. So 3 yrs/5.75M Neal dump = 3 2nd's or 1st + 3rd. I know everyone wants Marleau value for each year of any dump they take on but just not very realistic. Edmonton isn't in that tight of a spot where they'd be leveraged to pay crazy value like Dubas had to. But yeah it's fair to say 1st + 3rd is a little light given Fabbri going back, I don't think Yzerman really views him as a long term piece tho and his value league wide probably isnt much more than a mid round pick tbh
You can’t “extrapolate” cap dumps for multi-year deals because cap space is only going to get more valuable and you’re asking a team to sacrifice future cap flexibility. Who know’s what a potential trade partner’s cap situation will be in three years with a cap that may not go up at all. Also, as seen with Staal and other deals such as the traded Leafs wingers, lower salaries are a pretty big selling point so Neal costing a full 5.75m in salary all three years always made him much harder to move.

Also while the UFA forward market completely collapsed defensemen retained more value since there was more demand. Staal with a 3.2m salary was overpriced but, as seen by Jack Johnson managing to get 1.125m, Detroit would still have had to spend get a vet defenseman on a one year deal anyway so the 2nd was for the excess salary.

The Marleau camp dump was about finding a team that would spend 3.88m on 1st round pick, a lot more teams had the cap space so the pick was arguably the most valuable thing. With no revenue and everyone bleeding money no one’s straight up spending millions on a pick right now.

Neal is likely untradable for the same reason Johnson is: teams under the frozen cap and with internal budgets have cut back on spending money on UFA forwards to save money. Teams have their own future RFAs/UFAs to worry about after they planned for future cap increases that now won’t come and finding internal or cheaper solutions for needs at forward is easier to do at than at defense or goal. Neal’s tougher to move than Johnson even with one less year, I doubt Edmonton trades him because the cost of bribing a team to take him would be too high to make it worthwhile.

28C9D5B8-3299-4D8E-9E5D-F10FE64A3977.png

Yost: NHL players feeling financial pinch in free agency - TSN.ca

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Fabbri doesn’t have negative value so retaining 50% and taking on Neal must mean a hell of a prospect is coming back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad