FA/Trade Thread 2014-15 Season V.11 - Trade Deadline Approaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Point is guys and gals.

We need to be proactive and look for the JVR for Schenn or Erat for Forsberg deals.

Rielly is the player to build around in Toronto. We need players all peaking at the same ages like Chicago did with their organization. Rielly is 20, in 3 years time we hope he starts playing at an all-star level. This is when you want your core to be doing the same thing.

Grigorenko at 20 is a player I would be very interested in.

Wonder if the Sabres would do Gauthier and Percy for Grigorenko?

Two later 1st. rounders for a 12th. overall.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Last year the Forsberg deal for Erat was equally as risky.

I always liked Forsberg his draft year, those deals are risky. But Nashville look like geniuses today for making it.

I had Forsberg higher than Grigorenko his draft year, but it wasn't head and shoulders higher. So perhaps both are NHL equals when and if they blossom.

I am confident trading a Kadri who is stuck on the developmental path, but seems more value now for the riskier player. It Will be erased in a few years if Grigorenko is given a chance in the top 6 on our team. Grigorenko is 4 years younger.

Risky for who? Erat was playing awful hockey and it was unanimously deemed an awful trade the second it happened. Even the insiders were puzzled.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Last year the Forsberg deal for Erat was equally as risky.

I always liked Forsberg his draft year, those deals are risky. But Nashville look like geniuses today for making it.

I had Forsberg higher than Grigorenko his draft year, but it wasn't head and shoulders higher. So perhaps both are NHL equals when and if they blossom.

I am confident trading a Kadri who is stuck on the developmental path, but seems more value now for the riskier player. It Will be erased in a few years if Grigorenko is given a chance in the top 6 on our team. Grigorenko is 4 years younger.

:laugh: Was it? Is Erat comparable to Kadri and Forsberg to Grigorenko? The trade was one of the worst of the decade. It's not a realistic benchmark to use and say "see with risk comes reward". There was NO risk trading an over the hill 30 year old 2nd line winger for a blue chip prospect. Based on your example alone, why aren't you proposing Lupul for Grig? At least that I could see some sense in.

OF COURSE management is looking to get the good end of trading established players for prospects with higher upside and hoping they work out. Doesn't that go without saying at this point?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Vanek..players worth more at TD, especially rentals.

I disagree with your valuations at TD. A player whose contract can be walked away from has a value. Vanek was 30 playing horribly and about to become UFA and fetched a first rounder.

Phaneuff would easily fetch a first plus from the NYR for example. Franson is a rental but a GM after a cup doesn't care. Santorelli has value because his contract vanishes at the end of the year. I doubt To. would even let Bozak go for a 2nd rounder.In the end To. will only trade the players who get interest, I doubt they just dump Bozak for a 2nd.The real question is which GM's are interested in which players? Some GM's don't care about a first rounder they may never see play if they don't win now.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Trade all 2nd Round and 3rd round additions to move up in the draft from any 1st round additions we get.

If we get a 28th try and make it a 22nd so on and so forth.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
The people who chose the team have no loyalty to anyone except winning.

They chose the best players for the team, and chose players who could skate and would fit in with what they wanted to do.

Flames traded for Bouwmeester and moved Phaneuf.

Flames traded Phaneuf because of emergence of Giordano and cap restraints. Could you imagine Sutter trading Jaybo his prized signing just half a season into his contract that had a NTC in it.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Flames traded Phaneuf because of emergence of Giordano and cap restraints. Could you imagine Sutter trading Jaybo his prized signing just half a season into his contract that had a NTC in it.

There was also other reasons on why he was traded, it wasn't just the fact that Gio was coming through.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Adam Kimelman @NHLAdamK

Scouts in Philly tonight for #Flyers and #Leafs: Ducks, Hurricanes, Kings, Sharks, Jets, Canadiens. And 2 from Blues, including the new guy

That's not a lot of scouts to be honest, especially for 2 teams that might/should be sellers at the dead line.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think Shanahan will be focussed on acquiring 2nd rounders in what is expected to be a deep draft.

Winnik: 2nd rounder...A good playoff type player that teams want.

Santorelli: 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Lupul: 2nd rounder...His injury history is why he won't get us a first rounder

Franson: 2nd rounder...Rental type;Will be a UFA so teams will not offer a first rounder.

Bozak: 2nd rounder...Some team could use a decent third line center in the playoffs.

Gardiner: 2nd rounder...He's still unproven and his big contract will not return a first rounder.

JVR: First rounder...Leafs will probably keep him.

Kessel: First rounder + prospect

Dion: 2nd round pick..Leafs will have to eat a considerable portion of his contract.

Kadri: First rounder...Leafs will probably keep him.

Holland: 3rd rounder...Bottom 6 player can be useful to some team.

Komarov: 2nd rounder...Leafs will probably keep him.

Rielly: 2 first rounders (or a top 5 pick in the Draft + prospect)...Leafs most untouchable player.

Santorelli is worth (much) more than Winnik... switch their values (at least).

Bozak is worth more than a 2nd.

Franson is likely worth more than just a 2nd (low first or 2nd + prospect).

Phaneuf is DEFINITELY worth more than a 2nd.

I wouldn't trade JVR for a 1st round pick that isn't top 2 TBH.

Holland should easily fetch a 2nd +.

People overvalue picks at this time. How many 3rd round picks end up having a more successful career than Holland has so far (not to mention he's still developing).

I'll check a random year, 2002? and see how many players were better than him from the 3rd round.

Edit: 4 players played 400+ games: Gregory Campbell, Frans Nielsen, Matthew Lombardi, and Valerie Filpulla. So i'd say there was 2 better players than current Peter Holland (Nielsen and Filpulla). Still think trading Holland while he's young, cheap, and growing is a good idea? He's not even in his prime yet, but he's better than 28/30 3rd round selections from the 2002 draft. I'm assuming you could do this with most drafts too...

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
I know there are some that like this player on this board.

How about Mikhail Grigorenko to the Leafs?

Buffalo will likely land on Eichel or Mcdavid this summer.

They have Reinhart and Girgensens developing nicely. Nice building blocks huh?

Mikhail Grigorenko has fallen in the depth chart. May be available?

Kadri for Grigorenko?

What were your thoughts at the draft on Grigorenko? Good two way player? Plays hard? Lots of heart? Captain material? No way he could bust?

Did you want the Leafs to draft him?

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
There was also other reasons on why he was traded, it wasn't just the fact that Gio was coming through.

mainly that the signing of J Bow was a mistake when they didn't need D they needed offensive depth to help out Iggy that was compounded further that signing J Bow came at the cost of Camilari a need as a forward :help:. People think Dion is bad on the Leafs they should have seen J Bow in a Flames uniform;)... They further made another mistake when they traded Dion to us and Sutter found himself without a job for the piss poor management of it all.

Gio had nothing to do with the move. It was bad Gming 101 all around.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
That's not a lot of scouts to be honest, especially for 2 teams that might/should be sellers at the dead line.

Is it really an advantage to watch the games live vs. on TV?

I love going to games, but I find that the game is much easier to follow watching on TV. I would think that scouts would be better off just watching the game on TV.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

I love going to games, but I find that the game is much easier to follow watching on TV. I would think that scouts would be better off just watching the game on TV.

The dinosaurs doing the scouting would have you believe it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What were your thoughts at the draft on Grigorenko? Good two way player? Plays hard? Lots of heart? Captain material? No way he could bust?

I wanted the Leafs to draft him. 6'3", 200 lbs. center.

I was surprised when they called him up this year he was 50.9% at the dot.

He looks like someone who could use some Underhill training.

14 points in 14 WJC games over 2 years.

30 points in 36 AHL games as a 20 year old. (Kadri 41 points in 44 games)
2nd. leading scorer on his AHL club. (Kadri was 2nd. leading scorer)

I wouldn't offer Kadri for him, but I'd still have great interest in him.

Won't be 21 until May.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada

Grigs strengths were speed, size, and a hard accurate shot. Dominated the Q. I wanted the Leafs to draft him, he was a big C that was over ppg in his draft year IIRC. Not upset the way things went, but Sabres could easily convert him to a full time winger than sell him below value. Wouldnt call him a two way lots of heart guy but who knows. Struggled so far in the nhl but they rushed him I think. Def has all the tools to score a ton of points

Last edited:

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I think the Sharks will be the Dark Horse in that race.

Likely at the end of their playoff window (this year and next year), so have to make some impactful trades.

I'm not certain San Jose is a trade partner for Phanuef do to cap and NTC from players on San Jose...

If I was to favor a team it has to be Anaheim. They're weak on D. There best D is Beuachamin who's getting older and a pending UFA. They have a tone of cap space and a boat load of prospects that will never see the opportunity in the NHL do to the depth there facing to earn a job not to mention the team is a contender to boot.

Phanuef to Anaheim is a move that both teams can consummate and come out winners from it in getting what they need moving forward.

The only thing that could nix a trade between the 2 is Dion's NTC but that shouldn't be an issue do to the fact it works in his favor going to a contender and his wife is closer to Hollywood as an actress.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
I'd like to know what Interactif thought of him. Don't think it was a very good opinion of Grig as a player. Maybe he did something to change your opinion? Or am I way off base that you thought he would bust? Was/is heartless and one dimensional...

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I wanted the Leafs to draft him. 6'3", 200 lbs. center.

I was surprised when they called him up this year he was 50.9% at the dot.

He looks like someone who could use some Underhill training.

14 points in 14 WJC games over 2 years.

30 points in 36 AHL games as a 20 year old. (Kadri 41 points in 44 games)
2nd. leading scorer on his AHL club. (Kadri was 2nd. leading scorer)

I wouldn't offer Kadri for him, but I'd still have great interest in him.

Won't be 21 until May.

You know where I could see Grigs going?
Colorado back with Roy in a deal involving O'Reilly. Forget Myers I'd rather Ristolainen or Zadorov.
Buffalo has good pieces and O'Reilly would be great for Reinhart/McEichel. Who cares about his salary, they will have McEichel on ELC for 3 years and probably a bridge for Reinhart after that.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'd like to know what Interactif thought of him. Don't think it was a very good opinion of Grig as a player. Maybe he did something to change your opinion? Or am I way off base that you thought he would bust? Was/is heartless and one dimensional...

I know there was quite a bit of bad publicity towards him, but Kessel was on the receiving end of trash leading up to the draft as well.

Overlooked, was he moved to a country he couldn't speak the language, he was 17 years old, and he put up 85 points in 59 games (40 goals).

I really see adults being bullies when they have a soap box to stand on when talking about children. Some of it makes me question what kind of adult those people are, when they use their power to belittle children, and 17 years old is still a child.

I digress, others can and will have their own opinions.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Would love it if the leafs traded for Grigs from the Sabres. Moving Kadri for him makes no sense - at best Grigs becomes what Kadri is today.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Scouts do watch on TV (my brother in law is an NHL scout and we've watched the world juniors together a few times) but the obvious advantage live is you can focus on who you want to all game long.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

It's still pretty early, so I don't think that's a big deal. More likely to do with the scouts being avaialble because of flights and travel logisitics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad