FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.27 | May Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Bold prediction:

Kessel to Columbus for 8th overall, Kerby Rychel, and *gasp* David Clarkson (not for the faint of heart; read at your own risk)

Edit: I'd totally be okay with this. Babs would get so much more out of the bum. Could be his new Dan Cleary.

id prefer something along the lines of jvr + say a minors add or maybe panik and nashvilles pick for 8th rychel and wennberg instead. probably not likely.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
True. I suppose we would get another asset in that trade. Prospect or pick. I included him because Columbus needs to send back salary.

The Leafs accepted a player back in trade for Clarkson just a few months ago that will never play again and is owed 25M+, which they will have now have to pay.

It's nice that Columbus needs to cut salary, but there is not a chance in hell he comes back to Toronto a few months later in a trade for their best player.

That's absolutely insane.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I know... we've been searching for a good goalie for a long time now... and now that we've finally got someone good with elite potential, why would we trade him?

Because as long as you say you're rebuilding,you can always get the pieces you need later :laugh:

Making a bunch of young players play the game with a bad goalie is a recipe for disaster.

We're building a team and Bernier seems like a solid piece.

Right, we're building a "new" team, a #1 Goalie seems like a good piece to have.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
twenty two million committed to a goalie who has yet to distinguish himself in any way, on a team thats going to be brutal for at least another two seasons. To what end?

With Bernier in net, I don't think we'll be brutal next year. I think we'll make the playoffs.

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
Because he is NOT a goalie with keeping. Not a #1. He has made that very clear.

I agree. Despite what many posters here believe, I don't think Bernier is a very good goaltender. He's allowed some of the softest goals I've ever seen... The defence was poor this year, thats an understatement, but let's not allow that to cloud our judgement on how poor Bernier actually is at stopping pucks.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
After years of waste in the net the team finally has a goalie worth his salt and people want to trade him?

LowerTheBOOM

May 3, 2015
Ottawa ON
twenty two million committed to a goalie who has yet to distinguish himself in any way, on a team thats going to be brutal for at least another two seasons. To what end?

Exactly plus you can get an elite goalie prospect that will just be coming into his own when the leafs are starting to get good

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Move Reimer not Bernier. I'd sooner keep the one we've had less and has failed less.

Essentially, it comes down to whether or not the Leafs feel Bernier is a good long term option for starting goalie. If they do, then they should sign him to a long term deal (4 or more years). If not, why not move him and live with Reimer until they find that long term option. Bernier will bring a greater return and in a rebuild, everyone who is not a piece of the final puzzle should probably be moved for such pieces or assets that can be used to obtain those pieces.

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
After years of waste in the net the team finally has a goalie worth his salt and people want to trade him?

I'm just curious what actual evidence you have to support this statement?

How is Bernier "worth his salt"?? I'd really like to know why you think this.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Fair but the Oilers need a goalie badly and they might have to overpay, I agree that Bernier for 16 is the fair deal, I just think either the 33rd or Montreal's 2nd pick sweetens the deal enough to just get it done

I think there's a good chance that Edmonton ends up with one of Ottawa's surplus goalies.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Since you're obviously in front office discussions, who are we drafting #4?

It's common knowledge that they tried to move Dion at the deadline, It's common knowledge that they're rebuilding which implies moving on from the old and coming in with youth.

If you had asked anyone before Babcock was signed if they thought the Leafs planned to keep Dion there answer was obvious.

If they now want to keep Dion, then the plan has been altered on account of what Babcock wants.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Sorry, I'm looking for a sarcasm emoji...cant seem to find it...

If we hang on to Bernier and Phanuef and trade Kessel... we'll be good next season. Our staff will make some good moves and we'll have a solid team somehow.

People will be like "I thought you guys were rebuilding??" And we'll be like "we are rebuilding... we're just awesome".

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
It's common knowledge that they tried to move Dion at the deadline, It's common knowledge that they're rebuilding which implies moving on from the old and coming in with youth.

If you had asked anyone before Babcock was signed if they thought the Leafs planned to keep Dion there answer was obvious.

If they now want to keep Dion, then the plan has been altered on account of what Babcock wants.

I had wanted to keep Dion unless we got a really good player in return (like draisaitl) and we drafted Hanifin.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

You still need veterans on a team or else you will look like the Edmonton Oilers. Leafs may have been trying to move Dion at the deadline but certainly not for scraps.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Well in fairness he's shown more promise than any other recent tender - Toskala, Gus, Raycroft, Reimer... he's better than all of them. For Bernier, I wouldn't let me get in the way of acquiring a franchise player, but I wouldn't sell him for smaller parts ATM. Give him another year under Babs.

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
If we hang on to Bernier and Phanuef and trade Kessel... we'll be good next season. Our staff will make some good moves and we'll have a solid team somehow.

People will be like "I thought you guys were rebuilding??" And we'll be like "we are rebuilding... we're just awesome".

But Bernier and Phaneuf suck though and Kessel is arguably our best forward, I don't see the logic here at all.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011

Because an average .917 save percentage playing behind this defense is a god damn windfall.

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
Well in fairness he's shown more promise than any other recent tender - Toskala, Gus, Raycroft, Reimer... he's better than all of them. For Bernier, I wouldn't let me get in the way of acquiring a franchise player, but I wouldn't sell him for smaller parts ATM. Give him another year under Babs.

While that may be true, it just further proves how terrible we have been at evaluating talent. Specifically goaltending talent. In case you haven't noticed, I really don't like Bernier lol.

Last edited:

Durkin67

Exactly plus you can get an elite goalie prospect that will just be coming into his own when the leafs are starting to get good

Bernier makes no more sense to the Leafs than Kessel does. Those are pieces you want when you're ramping up to win. When Nonis thought they had a team that could win a round, adding Bernier made sense. By the time the Leafs are contending, he will be pushing 30 and starting to wind down. Flip him to a team like EDM or SJS and take a good pick back. Reimer is in a contract year and will play his best hockey ever. If he's working with Burke, I think he is going to do well and may even earn an extension.
I'd be OK with with Reimer at 3.5 for another couple years while the team develops some chemistry and grows together. Hopefully Bibeau becomes a standout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad