FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.20 - 5 days to TDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yeah, that was what I first thought. But all scouts were retained. I think he may have been unhappy with the lack of risks our selections have taken. IE Gauthier

What Simmons said made sense. Scouts submit their rankings yearly, Shanahan went through them and apparently was ok with what he saw.

Scouts can like a player but that player is not picked because Mgt make the ultimate pick.

that's what I figured after i re-read what you posted.
I think Hunter will help increase our scouting ranks but if the player rankings are good (to Shanahan) the management team picked what they liked. (which could be iffy at best). so we'll see what goes on.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Keep in mind he says each scouts list. So if the scouts say 1 thing to and the GM drafts who he wants. Your scouts may still be good and it's really the ones making the decisions who were at fault.

The way Simmons was speaking about this, I have no reason to doubt what he reported. He seems to be on the inside since Burke was let go.

Shanahan asked for scouts rankings, and he evaluated :) their lists. He was okay with what he saw, thus there was no shake up for now in the scouts we employ.

It seems like he was more critical in the selection process, why Hunter was hired. Than the scouting itself.

I know I am as guilty of this as most. Just because the Leafs drafted Gauthier, does not mean the Leafs scouts were unaminous on this pick. I am sure some, not all had him on top.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area, the San Jose Sharks would likely have to surrender a player like Tomas Hertl, Matt Nieto, Mirco Mueller, and/or Nikolay Goldobin along with multiple draft picks if they were to make a run at Phil Kessel.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/sharks-mailbag-could-kessel-be-fit-san-jose

Who do the Sharks trade in order to get Phil Kessel? At the age of 27 do you think Kessel would fit with Doug Wilson’s rebuild? #SharksTalk (@TheLegitKoolKid)

Phil Kessel is an interesting name. He’s still young enough that he could be considered a player for the future, fitting in with Wilson’s plan, and he’s also locked up contract-wise with seven years remaining after this one (at an $8 million cap hit annually). The Sharks are one of just a few teams that could comfortably take on his contract, especially considering next season's salary cap may be lower than anticipated.

We already know the Sharks won’t trade a young prospect or a first round pick for a veteran rental, but that’s obviously not what Kessel is. He’s an elite talent and one of the NHL’s best offensive players. The Sharks would likely have to surrender a player like Tomas Hertl, Matt Nieto, Mirco Mueller, and/or Nikolay Goldobin along with multiple draft picks if they were to make a run at Kessel, as the Maple Leafs have entered into a rebuild phase (defined differently than what Wilson is calling a rebuild). But, it may be worth it.

Something else to keep in mind – Kessel and Joe Pavelski had some good chemistry at the Olympics in Sochi a year ago. It’s an intriguing thought to reunite two of the best active American-born players.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
If the Sharks landed Kessel without losing any pieces from their current lineup they would be scary good.

Hertl-Thornton-Kessel
Marleau-Couture-Pavelski

That top 6 would be lethal

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If the Sharks landed Kessel without losing any pieces from their current lineup they would be scary good.

Hertl-Thornton-Kessel
Marleau-Couture-Pavelski

That top 6 would be lethal

For a team with such a history of failing in the playoffs, I just don't think it's a good idea for them to trade the necessary young pieces + picks for Kessel.

They're not even in a playoff spot right now, and goals against is a bigger problem for them than goal production. They're 15th in goals for and 22nd in goals against. And with both Thornton/Marleau 36 years old by training camp next year, I think it's a huge move for what's a very quickly shrinking window.

Their best bet at this point IMO is to sell off their older guys and retool around Couture, Vlasic, Hertl, Pavelski, Burns, etc.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
My spidey senses say Thursday is next. Then busy Sunday/Monday. Be patient...value will go up closer to TDL. As long as contending teams get injuries and our assets stay healthy (or scratched). Expect Dion to sit till after the TDL. He would rather just stay in TO.

He's playing tomorrow, apparently.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
OMG is CHI in cap hell next year

IF the cap drops like some have speculated

they are looking at about 5 million in cap space to ink 11 contracts

i'm not even sure if 11 guys at league minimum gets them under.:shakehead

woooof.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Don't think Hertl is going anywhere. Mueller + 1st + another prospect probably. Mueller + Rielly could be the future first D line.

i would really hope that shannahan wouldnt move kessel for that. i personally dont think san jose has the expendable assets to motivate the leafs to move kessel (i hope)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Was this talked about? I feel like it's pretty interesting...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-flames-face-deadline-crossroads/

15. As Toronto goes through its rebuilding, here’s a stat to know. In the 2011-15 OHL Drafts, the teams with the most selections were Sault Ste. Marie (with 69) and London (67). Those GMs? Kyle Dubas and Mark Hunter, now members of the Maple Leafs’ front office. You can expect both men will carry this philosophy with them to the NHL. Picks, picks, and more picks.

Also...

16. There was some weird Twitter path in my timeline indicating I’d said Boston, Montreal and Pittsburgh were in a three-way race for Joffrey Lupul. Don’t know where that came from, but it’s not correct.

I do believe those teams have had interest in him, but this isn’t like Dale Earnhardt Jr., Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson charging down the stretch at Daytona. Lupul has three years left on his contract, which is not an easy fit for the Bruins and Penguins, in particular.

17. Was thinking about Tampa GM Steve Yzerman’s comments about not liking the rental market. If he prefers a defenceman with term, Roman Polak might be the fit.

Yzerman is tight with Armstrong, who traded Polak to Toronto, and would get an honest appraisal. The Blues did not trade Polak because they disliked him, they traded him because, in a cap world, you have to make choices. He is not a perfect copy of Radko Gudas, who may be out for the year, but is from the same mold.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
i would really hope that shannahan wouldnt move kessel for that. i personally dont think san jose has the expendable assets to motivate the leafs to move kessel (i hope)

Unless we're getting back a can't miss prospect, i'd sooner keep Kessel. We don't need organizational depth in a trade for our best player. We can use others for that

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I suggested SJ a few weeks ago cause they needed scoring and a change. But cap wise didn't see how it would work unless someone like Marleau or Couture was invvoled

Unless offseason and those guys go in a separate deal

I didn't hate the idea of Marleau as he'd still have decent value and good vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad