FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.20 - 5 days to TDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
What the hell? Why is Niemi the basis for a trade with either of those players? Let alone both?

The + better be about 4 first round picks.

the ++'s would be huge, and they may overpay at the deadline if they think Bernier and Kessel give them a good shot to go further in the playoffs.

SJ has cap space and great young prospects for our rebuild.
they would be an ideal partner because with Marleau and Thornton not getting any younger, they really should make a big push

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd want a conditional pick from San Jose in case Niemi doesn't re-sign ... I'd be willing to package a large trade like that in moving Berny but I'd want to retain Niemi to stabilize the goaltending situation for the rebuild

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'd do Bernier for a first. Not sure I want Niemi here this year to ruin the tank.

However, I would want him this summer, I mentioned he was a UFA we should investigate months ago. Noodles Jamie Mac on Leafs lunch likes him. He's a very astute judge of goaltenders.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'd want a conditional pick from San Jose in case Niemi doesn't re-sign ... I'd be willing to package a large trade like that in moving Berny but I'd want to retain Niemi to stabilize the goaltending situation for the rebuild

I wouldn't even worry about Niemi. Let SJ worry about it.
Just Kessel for a collection of 1st rd pick, something like Tierney,Hertl/Nieto/Goldobin etc.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Id rather just keep Reimer. He could actually be better then Niemi right now

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
James Mirtle @mirtle 1m
Not surprised Niemi won't be back in San Jose. They would have moved on sooner if they could have. Hope was Stalock would step up this year

...hmmn, Bernier + Kessel for Niemi + + +??

WTF is this?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Why are people hell bent on trading Bernier? Please explain this to me, I am dumbfounded.

Goalies usually hit their prime from like ~26-35. No point trading Bernier and then looking for another goalie.

Bernier will be a fine #1 goalie, just fix the dumpster fire in front of him and have team stick to one system for an entire season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Niemi is not a good goalie. Hes been carried by great teams his whole career. Evenhis Cup win with Chicago

I asked Noodles on TSN Leafs Lunch about him, he likes him. A lot more than Ramo, whom he worked with in Calgary for Keenan I believe.

Noodles could be coaching in the NHL right now, he's a very bright hockey mind. I like his opinion. I asked him about coaching for the Leafs, but right now he is happy where he is working in the media.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Follow up to my post above re: our scouting staff. Simmons on TSN Drive said Shanahan reviewed their draft list history of each scout, he was apparently happy with how the staff ranked players.

For me the biggest difference this summer, will be Hunter will have the say on what player we draft. Just because we picked Percy, Biggs, Gauthier, Rielly, and Nylander, does not mean they were all consensus picks on our scouts lists. Obviously Rielly was, but GM's and Assistant GM's at times overrule scouts and go with their players. Hunter will be the one that has the final say now, this is a good thing.

i heard that he wasn't happy?
either way. we'll see how things will shape up.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Yeah, that was what I first thought. But all scouts were retained. I think he may have been unhappy with the lack of risks our selections have taken. IE Gauthier

What Simmons said made sense. Scouts submit their rankings yearly, Shanahan went through them and apparently was ok with what he saw.

Scouts can like a player but that player is not picked because Mgt make the ultimate pick.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Yeah for sure. The Hunter's created a situation in London where the top players want to play. Which is hugely important and a skill within itself.

They are fantastic at what they do. I don't think I worded my original post well but what I was trying to say is that getting and developing good players has more to it than just recognizing talent. Hopefully Hunter can bring some of that to Toronto.

I agree with your original point, though. It was definitely more than just identifying talent. They had recruiting advantages in London that Mark won't experience the same way in the NHL, so he will have to be adaptable. :)

Stacker29

Feb 17, 2015
I can see this response come Monday 3PM :(

Toronto would riot if after the deadline passes Dave Nonis came out and announced that we are standing pat , as there were no sound " hockey moves" that he felt comfortable making. Lol

Here's a "hockey move" for ya Dave, acquire some "hockey" players.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Why trade assets for Niemi?

He's going to be a UFA in a few months and the Leafs are rebuilding, am I missing something?
If there's player known to be available, then someone on HFBoards will propose the Leafs acquire him. I think its speaks to the size of our fan base, basically. Every conceivable opinion and idea is represented. :D

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

Keep in mind he says each scouts list. So if the scouts say 1 thing to and the GM drafts who he wants. Your scouts may still be good and it's really the ones making the decisions who were at fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad