FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.17 - Bored, Now. Make another Trade Happen, Nonis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Biggs*

So many people here don't understand hockey. The Leafs tried signing both guys but couldn't come up with a deal, so they would have lost them both in the offseason anyways. They basically got a free first round pick, a free prospect, and a free senior all well helping themselves tank the season.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
So many people here don't understand hockey. The Leafs tried signing both guys but couldn't come up with a deal, so they would have lost them both in the offseason anyways. They basically got a free first round pick, a free prospect, and a free senior all well helping themselves tank the season.

They also avoid tying up $8M+ in two support players during what should be a rebuild.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
You know he did score 36 goals on a Boston team which is known for its responsible defensive system.

And you are saying Kessel is bad on a 25 game sample size while completely disregarding 4 seasons of good play.

Helps when you have one of the best playmaking centers in hockey at the time on your line in Savard.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Do you think it's unusual for a top scorer to have line-mates that know how to play? :sarcasm:

Do you blame him? He just watched Kessel playing with Bozak for 4 years, a center who has no discernible qualities other than above-average face-off abilities and inexplicable proficiency in the shoot-out. I'm sure he now thinks that wingers can be expected to be at PPG with no help.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
friend of mine is a crazy Habs fan. Most biased guy I have ever met. He has season tickets to the Bulldogs. Shocked me when he said he didn't think Tinordi would be a good nhl'r. Worried about his skating. And he thinks every hab and prospect is the 2nd coming. So be careful what you wish for

My buddy who is a huge London knights fan said the same thing

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Bergevin was at the Marlies game today.. Probably scouting some of our prospects to see if there is a fit for a 1v1 swap for either Thomas, or Bournival..

I wonder if they'd do either:

Abott for Bournival
Or
McKegg for Thomas

I think McKegg is as close as you can come to a straight across deal for Thomas. Same age, same draft (22 spots apart), same post draft spike, before falling back to earth the next season and both need waivers next year and likely hit the wire.

McKegg is a little bigger, has produced a little better at the AHL level and is a center. Thomas has a bit more NHL experience and may be a little more projectable to a bottom-6/depth role as a speedy, spark plug, like Kozun.

Bournival has been up in the NHL since last season and he's 22. I find it more difficult to find comparable value for him that I'd give up. As, I don't really want to take away from the top half of the prospect pool at all. I think Frattin might make the most sense, I could see a smaller team like Montreal potentially giving up the few extra RFA years between the two, to get a bigger and stronger depth option for their playoff run. Tyler Biggs might also make sense, if Montreal wants to take a longer term approach on a different type of player.

Edit - Maybe add Frattin + Biggs together for Bournival + expiring contract.

Last edited:

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
Booth and his 1 goal will be traded for Blu-Rays of Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises.

:teach:

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I actually really like Booth. He's got the skills, drive and heart to be a better player. I really don't think he's gotten much of an opportunity here. Wish he was given more time earlier when the games matter.

He seems to be one of the only guys trying on most nights. Maybe someone will see that and pick him up cheap. If not, then I'd gladly keep him around for another season. I'm a big fan of his... unfortunately I'm in the minority here.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Any merit to the Kessel to Florida rumours? Has Nonis been scouting Florida games or their AHL affiliate?

Wonder if Florida is looking to get Kessel before the playoff bound teams can take a shot at him this summer at the draft. Kinda like the Sabres and Jets.

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
Any merit to the Kessel to Florida rumours? Has Nonis been scouting Florida games or their AHL affiliate?

Wonder if Florida is looking to get Kessel before the playoff bound teams can take a shot at him this summer at the draft. Kinda like the Sabres and Jets.

We play Florida tonight... Should provide us a scouting opportunity.

Sharabhi

Jan 10, 2008
This past stretch has pretty much confirmed for me that kessel has thrived in a system where. He could cheat on defensive responsibilities. To the detriment of the team and hanging the d out to dry...but yeah he scored a lot

Don't forget our top6 dmen is probably the one of the worst in the league. If Kessel played on a team with a capable group in the back, he would be perfectly fine, and instead may even score more.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Don't forget our top6 dmen is probably the one of the worst in the league. If Kessel played on a team with a capable group in the back, he would be perfectly fine, and instead may even score more.

he scored 36 goals in a much more defensive system in boston when he was much younger and less matured.

he'll do fine on a good team, people are too hard on the guy, he's just not a good piece to build around at all like we've been doing.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Polak to be traded?
Yeah maybe
He's got 1 more yr on his deal

He's maybe the one guy on the roster who's not a pending UFA that it actually makes sense to move now as opposed to the off-season.

I'd imagine the fact that he has term increases his value as well

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
what do you guys see Polaks value at?

We paid a 3rd plus Gunner, so i'd be disappointed for anything less than 2nd + 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig