FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.15 - I'm Running Out of Thread Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Expected a response something like this, but I find it hard to believe 2nd and 3rd doesn't put you further ahead than taking McDavid.

2nd and 3rd would be tempting but you're arguably talking about the best prospect since Crosby. In his hometown. I honestly think there might legitimately be a riot downtown if that happened.

1st overall rarely gets traded anymore. It's become as much a marketing piece as it has been a team building piece. And McDavid is the pinnacle of that. I doubt we'll see any team trade a 1st overall pick for a long time, let alone McDavid. The money maker that McDavid is almost assuredly means he's going first overall and won't have his pick traded

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Playing devil's advocate, the guy is showing injury issues, he hasn't been that impressive this year, and he's really not any different than Bernier two years ago (well except Bernier basically played his way to at least earning a shot at number 1, I'm not totally sure Gibson has).

Actually he is 5 years younger and he fits this team as a goalie in a rebuild better than Bernier at 26 that is still trying to be a #1G in the NHL. I will take the chance Gibson is the goaltending prospect I believe he is. Didn't you say earlier you were all for risk? Seems like a great risk to me.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Hopefully, Mcdavid, Eichel or Strome will be our #1 or #2 C next year. Really I am tired about talking about mediocrities down the middle with this team.

For talking about the supposed mediocrities, you do shockingly little of actually explaining what those are. I'd like to see why you think that rather than just posting cliche remarks about it.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

Kinda makes sense. I cant imagine going through a real rebuild with a goalie of Berniers calibre. With him, I would see us picking around 5-10, ideally you want a top 3.

Only thing thats concerning is that we might not find another number 1 goalie.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Expected a response something like this, but I find it hard to believe 2nd and 3rd doesn't put you further ahead than taking McDavid.

(shrug).
there are sometimes where the adage "the bird in your hand is better than two in the bush" apply. Unless someone was going to extremely, and utterly overpay for that pick, why would you give it up and not to wave the country flag here, but a Canadian born (from your home town) who has a strong connection to your specific team and all of that?

now. it's one thing if that player is like. i don't know. someone not super special.
but when the player IS super special, do you give that up? I don't think so.

but to answer your question

A: one of those picks better be in the top 3. (because Eichel and Hanifin would be great choices).

and B: the other one needs to be in the top 10.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Actually he is 5 years younger and he fits this team as a goalie in a rebuild better than Bernier at 26 that is still trying to be a #1G in the NHL. I will take the chance Gibson is the goaltending prospect I believe he is. Didn't you say earlier you were all for risk? Seems like a great risk to me.

Might be a good risk. Wasn't saying so one or another, hence the DEVILS ADVOCATE part about the downside. You need to analyze to make a decision, rather than jsut saying "it's a good risk"...

Maybe he turns out to be the next Markstrom though. I'd want more but a package around him might entice me.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Hypothetically, if Leafs won the lottery and had first overall pick, and got an offer of two 2015 first-rounders for it, how high would those picks need to be for you to do it? Or would you do it at all?

(Assume the other team involved has already managed to obtain the 2nd pick.)

If we are trading away 1st OA I want 2nd OA + 4th OA back or hell even 3rd OA and 2nd OA.

It is McDavid or Eichel + Hanafin for me.

There is no other reason to trade McDavid unless you are getting Eichel + someone of Hanafins caliber back.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Moving Bernier makes sense - Reimer is a capable stop gap, but moving him gets the team a great asset, and weakens the goaltending considerably, thus helping the tank.

The leafs are likely going to need 2-5 years rebuilding anyways - plenty of time to get a new tender, or have one of the prospects develop, or even see if Reimer can return more to form - he hasn't exactly been playing terrible.

And while Bernier has been decent this year, his play hasn't exactly inspired me to want the team to lock him up long term.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Moving Bernier makes sense - Reimer is a capable stop gap, but moving him gets the team a great asset, and weakens the goaltending considerably, thus helping the tank.

The leafs are likely going to need 2-5 years rebuilding anyways - plenty of time to get a new tender, or have one of the prospects develop, or even see if Reimer can return more to form - he hasn't exactly been playing terrible.

And while Bernier has been decent this year, his play hasn't exactly inspired me to want the team to lock him up long term.

pretty much.
and one rumor mentioned Fucale? and it wouldn't surprise me if we drafted a bucket load of goalies this draft and next to see how it all turns out.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

The team hasn't exactly supported him all that much, so it's not really the best judgement to make on Bernier...

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Doing a little bit of "looking into" after some of this Bernier rumours were coming out over the weekend.

Michael Hutchinson - 6'3
Gerald Coleman - 6'4
Steve Mason - 6'4
Igor Bobkov - 6'5
Anthony Stolarz - 6'6

We know one guy in the organization who likes a bigger goalie. Maybe there's some other technical problems they have an issue with like his blocker or his concentration at times; But this stands out probably more so.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Doing a little bit of "looking into" after some of this Bernier rumours were coming out over the weekend.

Michael Hutchinson - 6'3
Gerald Coleman - 6'4
Steve Mason - 6'4
Igor Bobkov - 6'5
Anthony Stolarz - 6'6

We know one guy in the organization who likes a bigger goalie. Maybe there's some other technical problems they have an issue with like his blocker or his concentration at times; But this stands out probably more so.
Yeah it's a concern I have as well. I don't think there is a top starter in this league that's under 6'1. Most 6'2-6'4.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For talking about the supposed mediocrities, you do shockingly little of actually explaining what those are. I'd like to see why you think that rather than just posting cliche remarks about it.
You do not think Eichel, Mcdavid or Strome would be better than Kadri is? Think carefully before answering this. We are rebulidng BTW. I would put my faith in any of these 3 18 years olds being better than Kadri is in very little time. Maybe if we can get a 2nd first rd pick we can move towards adding a 2nd Center. It shouldn't be that hard to improve this woeful Center group. Would it?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

Michael Hutchinson - 6'3
Gerald Coleman - 6'4
Steve Mason - 6'4
Igor Bobkov - 6'5
Anthony Stolarz - 6'6

whose the one guy?
Hunter?

isn't Bernier 6'0?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Why are the Leafs ready to ship Bernier out of town?

Are analysts just throwing out names and hoping that something sticks to the wall?

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
pretty much.
and one rumor mentioned Fucale? and it wouldn't surprise me if we drafted a bucket load of goalies this draft and next to see how it all turns out.

I don't know if we will draft a "ton" of goalies but I would not be surprised if we are talking with say ANA about Dion that we inquire about Gibson or Andersen coming back our way.

(Similar if we have dealings with Tampa with Vaselvelsky.)

Personally I like Bernier and think he is in a similar boat to guys like Hiller, Halak, etc good goalies just not "amazing". Which you can get buy with if you are the Detroit Red Wings of past with good old Osgood and a star studded line up in front but not so much now.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Are analysts just throwing out names and hoping that something sticks to the wall?

With nothing going on as far as trades, and the obvious candidates already discussed to death they're probably taking that whole "Nobody is untouchable" comment from awhile back to incorporate every player on the roster.

I'm not opposed of trading Bernier but the trade has to make sense.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

Bernier has earned the question marks around him and rightfully so. Even questions about his attitude with the team. Seems to be a lot of speculation that he is a "me first" kinda teammate and refuses to be a scapegoat (which isn't unfair to want to be).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
With nothing going on as far as trades, and the obvious candidates already discussed to death they're probably taking that whole "Nobody is untouchable" comment from awhile back to incorporate every player on the roster.

I'm not opposed of trading Bernier but the trade has to make sense.

It's very quiet right now. Too quiet. Lots of rumours, no trades. My hope is none of the players being discussed will be injured killing any possible deals. We have to move live bodies to get picks in hopes of having a game changing draft this summer. I'm ready for a rebuild, the quicker the better. Not going to go through this next year. We should have started last summer. 48 years is morphing into 50 very quickly.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's very quiet right now. Too quiet. Lots of rumours, no trades. My hope is none of the players being discussed will be injured killing any possible deals. We have to move live bodies to get picks in hopes of having a game changing draft this summer. I'm ready for a rebuild, the quicker the better. Not going to go through this next year. We should have started last summer. 48 years is morphing into 50 very quickly.

We're just waiting for the first couple of dominoes to fall now. That will set the market and it should take off from there. Are the Leafs going to be trend setters? That'll depend on the return. Perhaps their asking prices are steep, so teams are holding off until closer to the deadline where they could see another trade that gives them better bargaining power.

I think the Leafs are close on a bunch of deals, they're just waiting for the tipping point for that one team to ante up their best chips for that asset.

Still 21 days until the deadline .. Wouldn't be surpised to see another week go by without a trade .. Personally, I'd like to start shipping out players now because you'd hate for this group to gather some momentum after Saturday's win and go on a small run (as bad as it sounds, it's not good for the tank)

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I don't know if we will draft a "ton" of goalies but I would not be surprised if we are talking with say ANA about Dion that we inquire about Gibson or Andersen coming back our way.

(Similar if we have dealings with Tampa with Vaselvelsky.)

Personally I like Bernier and think he is in a similar boat to guys like Hiller, Halak, etc good goalies just not "amazing". Which you can get buy with if you are the Detroit Red Wings of past with good old Osgood and a star studded line up in front but not so much now.

i didn't say tonne. i said bucketload ;)

but no i get you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad