FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.15 - I'm Running Out of Thread Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Nothing mediocre about Kadri being in the #2 slot long-term. He and Holland provide a good middle-6 C combination for the kind of stage we're about to go through as an organization. They're young, still have potential, and already fit fairly comfortably in their roles. What we certainly do hope for is for Nylander, Gauthier and potentially our top pick this year starting to push these guys ahead of them and create sustainability down the middle.

As long as you're not expecting an elite #1 within the next year or so, Kadri, Nylander, Holland and Gauthier are not bad long-term pieces at C.

There aren't many Centers that are better than Kadri that are likely available. It's difficult to imagine a plausible scenario where trading him doesn't make us much more mediocre down the middle.

On the one hand, I agree. On the other, its far easier to acquire a #2C than a top-pairing D or a #1C, so if deals arise for either of those two, either via trades for current NHL players or for high draft picks, IMO you do it. Eg. Kadri + Dion for Edmonton's 2015 1st.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nothing mediocre about Kadri being in the #2 slot long-term. He and Holland provide a good middle-6 C combination for the kind of stage we're about to go through as an organization. They're young, still have potential, and already fit fairly comfortably in their roles. What we certainly do hope for is for Nylander, Gauthier and potentially our top pick this year starting to push these guys ahead of them and create sustainability down the middle.

As long as you're not expecting an elite #1 within the next year or so, Kadri, Nylander, Holland and Gauthier are not bad long-term pieces at C.

There aren't many Centers that are better than Kadri that are likely available. It's difficult to imagine a plausible scenario where trading him doesn't make us much more mediocre down the middle.

Compared to the better teams in the league, this is my meaure. Yes, he is very medicocre in comparison.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

I don't want to believe this, but his avatar is an album from my favorite band, so I'm conflicted. I just don't wanna have Victor Fasths for the next 5 years. We can give up Bernier, but I've yet to hear a suitable replacement. Bibeau doesn't count. Is Gibson available or just people's pipe dreams?

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I don't want to believe this, but his avatar is an album from my favorite band, so I'm conflicted. I just don't wanna have Victor Fasths for the next 5 years. We can give up Bernier, but I've yet to hear a suitable replacement. Bibeau doesn't count. Is Gibson available or just people's pipe dreams?

weren 't there fucale rumors?

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
More trade rumours. Sounds like a housecleaning of the roster.

IF it happens then yes it would be, but all I am seeing is some random reporter speculating. Of course Franson/Santo/Winnik are in play given that they are upcoming free agents, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that part out lol. Of course guys like Kadri would be desirable, young/cheap and on a rfa list.. makes sense he too would be in play.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
IF it happens then yes it would be, but all I am seeing is some random reporter speculating. Of course Franson/Santo/Winnik are in play given that they are upcoming free agents, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that part out lol. Of course guys like Kadri would be desirable, young/cheap and on a rfa list.. makes sense he too would be in play.

Pretty much. The same stuff has been said the last few weeks but until it happens it just the same rumour(s) being posted again and again..

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
weren 't there fucale rumors?

But will he be that good? I would put Gibson on a whole other level than Fucale. Or is it just because he is a fresh second round pick who won Team Canada gold. Bernier was a first round pick and won Team Canada gold, if that's what we are going to do.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
But will he be that good? I would put Gibson on a whole other level than Fucale. Or is it just because he is a fresh second round pick who won Team Canada gold. Bernier was a first round pick and won Team Canada gold, if that's what we are going to do.

I'm a big Gibson backer, he's not as refined as Bernier is right now, but in 2 years, I can see him being on a different level. Anaheim is win now mode.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Hypothetically, if Leafs won the lottery and had first overall pick, and got an offer of two 2015 first-rounders for it, how high would those picks need to be for you to do it? Or would you do it at all?

(Assume the other team involved has already managed to obtain the 2nd pick.)

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
More trade rumours. Sounds like a housecleaning of the roster.

The Sun isn't exactly the most reliable source for rumors. And saying those names could be traded is like saying that grass is green. Well great, of course they could, but that goes for any player in the league at any time.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Hypothetically, if Leafs won the lottery and had first overall pick, and got an offer of two 2015 first-rounders for it, how high would those picks need to be for you to do it? Or would you do it at all?

are you going to sing at MLSE's funeral? because if the Leafs won the lottery and they traded it away, people would be killed.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Sun isn't exactly the most reliable source for rumors. And saying those names could be traded is like saying that grass is green. Well great, of course they could, but that goes for any player in the league at any time.

Why not? The grass is not greener? How could it worse that it is now?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Compared to the better teams in the league, this is my meaure. Yes, he is very medicocre in comparison.

Well considering he's not well supported at all comparing to those other players, and he's probably younger than most, that's not really saying much...

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Not a chance. Having the first overall and trading it would make these parts insufferable. Granted I would probably be among the people railing against the team for trading it but...

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

He's having a down year, but still has a ton of room to grow. I'm happy to let him continue to develop while we go through this rebuild stage, see what we have with him when he's a fully-realized player. I don't think there's anything mediocre about him as a #2C in general, but particularly at this point in time for this organization. Agree to disagree, I guess.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Why not? The grass is not greener? How could it worse that it is now?

First of all, the Sun isn't even a newspaper. It's a periodical. That alone takes away from it's credibility. Secondly, the paper doesn't have any real record of publishing legitimate rumors, so I'd say its credibility is legitimately in question.

But the whole point I was makign was the writer wasn't actually saying anything about rumors he heard. He was just rereporting on stuff others have reported.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
are you going to sing at MLSE's funeral? because if the Leafs won the lottery and they traded it away, people would be killed.

Hell, McDavid himself would probably lead the riots

Not a chance. Having the first overall and trading it would make these parts insufferable. Granted I would probably be among the people railing against the team for trading it but...

Expected a response something like this, but I find it hard to believe 2nd and 3rd doesn't put you further ahead than taking McDavid.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I'm a big Gibson backer, he's not as refined as Bernier is right now, but in 2 years, I can see him being on a different level. Anaheim is win now mode.

Playing devil's advocate, the guy is showing injury issues, he hasn't been that impressive this year, and he's really not any different than Bernier two years ago (well except Bernier basically played his way to at least earning a shot at number 1, I'm not totally sure Gibson has).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
First of all, the Sun isn't even a newspaper. It's a periodical. That alone takes away from it's credibility. Secondly, the paper doesn't have any real record of publishing legitimate rumors, so I'd say its credibility is legitimately in question.

But the whole point I was makign was the writer wasn't actually saying anything about rumors he heard. He was just rereporting on stuff others have reported.

I like the Sun, are you sure that you just hate the message so you poo pah the messenger? I doubt they intentionally post fictional unsubtantiated reports. Not all reporters intentionall lie. Are you saying they are liars? Secondly, the grass looks burnt here in Leafs land. Almost anything would look greener. Smack dab in 25th and trending downwards.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Right?! He's been here for 2 years. I've been here for 30.

:laugh:

yes, a better team

we won a LOT of games solely because of him.. i would be fed up by continually getting outshot while my team barely fires shots at the opponents net.

not to mention our defence is horrible, as are our forwards defensively.

and ironically, Bernier's best games are the ones where the shots against are high. Lower shots, he seems not to be all together "there" I don't buy into this "he deserves" nonsense, but you know who did, if we're playing this game? Ryan Miller who basically stayed until the ship was going down, and still played in front of that tire fire that was Buffalo, and helped them win games and all of that jazz - for years.

Bernier was here for like a minute -after asking to be moved out so he can be a starter, but he 'deserves' better, because the team that took a chance on him isn't good? what kind of nonsense is that. And unless he's moving to like Minnesota or Dallas [I was going to say Philly but they're committed to Mason] - it's not like a great team is going to sign him to be the starter, and he'll be a back up again.

You act like he works for free. He deserves to win no more or no less than any other players do.

That just makes him deserving of the money he gets paid. Effort shouldn't be special.

exactly.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Expected a response something like this, but I find it hard to believe 2nd and 3rd doesn't put you further ahead than taking McDavid.

My response was exactly as I meant it, just a joke with nothing to do with your original question.

I haven't seen nearly enough of McDavid, let alone Eichel or Hanifin to talk about trade value.

All I know is that he really did grow up wishing to be a Leaf, and that fan backlash alone would be outrageous, regardless of how hockey-smart the trade was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad