FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.15 - I'm Running Out of Thread Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxJammingxX

Mar 5, 2014
I see a three-fer deal with the Wings coming up

If we were to trade all three to one team, and retain 50% salary on all three (not sure if the limit is 3 or 2), what would we want back?

We would be offering significant depth for just a smudge over 3m caphit. For me Id say Mantha and a 1st.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Kessel is an elite scorer on a decent contract (in comparison to what we brings to the table compared to other players making more than him). I would look to Columbus for a package like the following...

Jenner + 1st in 2015 ( top 2 protected) + Dansk + salary dump

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
If we were to trade all three to one team, and retain 50% salary on all three (not sure if the limit is 3 or 2), what would we want back?

We would be offering significant depth for just a smudge over 3m caphit. For me Id say Mantha and a 1st.

It gets you Mantha or a 1st. It doesn't get you both. Franson is worth a late first, Santa is a 2nd, Winnik is a 3rd. Detroit likely picks in the 15-20 range of the draft, and Mantha was a 20th overall pick. If Franson is worth, say, the 25th overall pick, the price of moving up in the draft from there would be the 2nd and 3rd round picks. It might end up looking like a 1st and a 4th, or Mantha and a 4th.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
Reading the Predators trade thread, they brought up some interesting points. They said that perhaps Poile see's this season as the one, and will just go all in for it. He knows that he may not get many more cracks at it, considering Rinne (32) may start regressing. They also brought up the point that Poile has made bold moves before, such as bringing Radulov back, Forsberg trade, Neal trade, etc. He has always liked Kessel, and I dont believe it is out of the realm of possibility that a Jones for Kessel deal goes down. Their fans seemed to toss it around in their proposals...

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Reading the Predators trade thread, they brought up some interesting points. They said that perhaps Poile see's this season as the one, and will just go all in for it. He knows that he may not get many more cracks at it, considering Rinne (32) may start regressing. They also brought up the point that Poile has made bold moves before, such as bringing Radulov back, Forsberg trade, Neal trade, etc. He has always liked Kessel, and I dont believe it is out of the realm of possibility that a Jones for Kessel deal goes down. Their fans seemed to toss it around in their proposals...

I support Kessel through through thick and thin but even I don't think it's possible to get jones for him. I mean hey I would love it but I just don't see it feasible. If it happens hell to the ****ing yea. However we are going to be susceptible to a HUGE hole in our offensive game. I also would feel like a guy like Gardiner would have to move along with it.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I support Kessel through through thick and thin but even I don't think it's possible to get jones for him. I mean hey I would love it but I just don't see it feasible. If it happens hell to the ****ing yea. However we are going to be susceptible to a HUGE hole in our offensive game. I also would feel like a guy like Gardiner would have to move along with it.

I think it would also require Gardiner, and Jones is not playing at a level that would guarantee any improvement right away. Jones hasn't turned a corner and his ability to be a top pairing guy is not proven. He is playing sheltered minutes on a stronger team and his forte is not being the defensive rock this club most needs. A collapse is possible. Also the Leafs would need to eat some salary, not to support the value they are offering, but because it's just too much money going one way. Not a good fit IMO as Seth is not Ekblad, or even Ristolainen. Playing on this current Leaf roster would chew him up.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think people are seriously underrating Kessel's value. People are bashing on him inside Toronto, but outside, he's still an elite player, one of the best in the league.

We'd be able to get Seth Jones for Kessel. And we'd likely be able get another piece back, like their first (keep in mind, its's going to be 26-30) while needing to take on a contract like Stalberg or Gaustad.

We'd likely send some sort of prospect back their way. A guy like Tom Nilsson or Eric Knodel makes sense.

Nashville is in a perfect position to contend, and adding Kessel makes them the favorites, and this is a year where the West doesn't look too hot.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I think it would also require Gardiner, and Jones is not playing at a level that would guarantee any improvement right away. Jones hasn't turned a corner and his ability to be a top pairing guy is not proven. He is playing sheltered minutes on a stronger team and his forte is not being the defensive rock this club most needs. A collapse is possible. Also the Leafs would need to eat some salary, not to support the value they are offering, but because it's just too much money going one way. Not a good fit IMO as Seth is not Ekblad, or even Ristolainen. Playing on this current Leaf roster would chew him up.

Obviously cap would come back our way, we'd get guys like stalberg coming back etc. to even out the money.

Jones was picked very high for a reason, he's 2 years removed from the draft, he's going to take time to develop but there's no reason to think he wont be a top pairing guy, he's always shown the potential for it. and Ekblad was rated as being a worse prospect than jones as I recall many scouts saying last draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad