GDT: FA Frenzy Thread

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
In this cap constrained environment, expensive vets will be exposed in the expansion draft and younger, cheaper talent will be protected. The cap savings can then be used to acquire equivalent or near equivalent talent for less.

Or one of those vets could be traded for assets not requiring protection. Then backfill after the expansion draft with UFA's.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I know the Flames are a loyal franchise, but I think one of Backlund or Gio will be exposed. If the Flames falter again in the playoffs (or miss) I could see Gio being exposed and going with a completely new leadership core. Theres no way a team will not protect its good young forwards.

If Gio legitimately falters, like not even to a top 4 level this year, I can't help but wonder if we buy him out. Would be a cap hit of 2.25 for two years and opens up 4.5 cap next year when things are still flat.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If Gio legitimately falters, like not even to a top 4 level this year, I can't help but wonder if we buy him out. Would be a cap hit of 2.25 for two years and opens up 4.5 cap next year when things are still flat.

I don't think a buyout would come until we know that Seattle would pass on him. If you're buying him out you lose him for nothing, better to lose him for nothing and not have a residual buyout cap hit.

In that world we might even see Treliving incentivizing Seattle to take him.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't think we would buy out Gio. It's not like the Lundqvist situation because you could still give Gio some quality ice time even if you hide him on your 3rd pairing.

When the expansion draft comes, he'll be a near 38 year old with 1 year left at 6.25. Not much use for Seattle to pick him and not much sense to protect a player so close to retirement.

I'm willing to bet that we extend Ryan for 1 more year and pay Seattle an incentive to take him so they can market him as their Engelland-type hometown player who'll be the face of the team

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don't think we would buy out Gio. It's not like the Lundqvist situation because you could still give Gio some quality ice time even if you hide him on your 3rd pairing.

When the expansion draft comes, he'll be a near 38 year old with 1 year left at 6.25. Not much use for Seattle to pick him and not much sense to protect a player so close to retirement.

I'm willing to bet that we extend Ryan for 1 more year and pay Seattle an incentive to take him so they can market him as their Engelland-type hometown player who'll be the face of the team

Maybe on Ryan. I think we'd have to incentivize them a fair bit though given the other players we are exposing.

For Gio it may literally come down to cap space. If he plays poorly, in a flat cap world, we don't have room for a 6.75 million dollar third pairing D. I don't expect it honestly, just floating it as food for though.

4.5 million freed up is a lot of cap space right now.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

I'm willing to bet that we extend Ryan for 1 more year and pay Seattle an incentive to take him so they can market him as their Engelland
-type hometown player who'll be the face of the team
Or offer him to hang up the "playing skates" and sign him to join your coaching, prospect mentoring team.
Incredible potential in him mentoring and guiding young D prospects in-house. Even go "throw-back, old-school" and make him a "playing coach" for a year or 2?

Reactions: BudRobinson53

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Who wins/loses if Kylington is traded to Seattle for future considerations so that Seattle selects Lucic?

I agree with others I want to see Kylington more this season and for him to succeed.

Seattle wins "another freebee" player and , if Kylington hits even a mediocre level, he will be helping Seattle. This is a win for them as Kylington's
useage and opportunities have virtually stymied any chance for him to "prove" his worth to the Flames.
(barring him having outplayed Gio in all aspects, in his 40 something games played in limited roles/icetime).
Flames will win only in so far as being rid of Lucic's cap hit. They win if they are able to fill a need or two with Lucic's salary, for the same or lesser amount.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I'd rather lose Kylington than one of Bennett, Mangiapane, or Dube tbh.

I think Giordano gets protected. If Bennett shows the progression we are waiting for he will too, otherwise it'll be Backlund

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'd rather lose Kylington than one of Bennett, Mangiapane, or Dube tbh.

I think Giordano gets protected. If Bennett shows the progression we are waiting for he will too, otherwise it'll be Backlund
The Flames aren't going to protect Gio who will have one year left on his $6.75M contract and will turn 38 at the beginning of the 2021-22 season, assuming the Flames choose to protect only 3 d-men. Seattle wouldn't waste their Flames pick on Gio either. They will have better choices.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The Flames aren't going to protect Gio who will have one year left on his $6.75M contract and will turn 38 at the beginning of the 2021-22 season, assuming the Flames choose to protect only 3 d-men. Seattle wouldn't waste their Flames pick on Gio either. They will have better choices.

Which dman do they protect over him then?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hanifin Andersson Tanev? Maybe Kylington if he turns a corner.

Valimaki isn't eligible to be picked.

Hanifin and Andersson is obvious (might've been poor wording on my part but my statement before assumes that), but Tanev? Nahhhhh. You aren't protecting a 2nd pairing defensive-dman on the decline for our captain. If anything, we might be hoping they take him.

If Kylington isn't a regular they aren't protecting him, and no one else is worthwhile. Unless Giordano is literally bottom pairing caliber (and even then I'm not 100% sure) they will protect him.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Assuming the defense roster remains as it.... Hanifin, Andersson, and Tanev.
Hanifin and Andersson are no brainers. The Flames aren't going to expose Tanev considering they just found their guy to fill the top 4 right side D (a position that isn't exactly easy to fill at a reasonable price) and just signed him to a 4 year contract.

Hmmm.. let me see... protect a LHS d-man (of which the Flames have plenty of) 38 year old, who's probably on his last legs and getting 3rd line minutes, with one year left on his contract at $6.75M or protect a RHS d-man 31 year old, who is likely playing the right side on the 2nd line, with 3 years left at $4.5M.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hanifin isn't a no-brainer. He's a number four defenseman on a reasonably thick contract (5M/yr)who needs to show he can be more than a #4 if they want to protect him. The team will have no difficulty replacing his play with Valimaki and Kylington, and meanwhile they'll get tons of cap flexibility if Seattle does take him.

While I'd much rather trade him before expansion for an expansion-exempt top6 forward or RHS D, it might actually be best case scenario of the Kraken decide to gamble on Noah's career arc

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Unless kylington improves defensively, he'll be on waiver as soon as he is available. There will be an outrage here but nobody will claim him. Happened all the time.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Hanifin isn't a no-brainer. He's a number four defenseman on a reasonably thick contract (5M/yr)who needs to show he can be more than a #4 if they want to protect him. The team will have no difficulty replacing his play with Valimaki and Kylington, and meanwhile they'll get tons of cap flexibility if Seattle does take him.

While I'd much rather trade him before expansion for an expansion-exempt top6 forward or RHS D, it might actually be best case scenario of the Kraken decide to gamble on Noah's career arc
When you compare Hanifin to the other options to protect his money is only .5 more than Tanev so the cap flexibility aspect is questionable, is younger than Giordano AND Tanev, and 'replacing' him is all good and dandy until we remember that we have Valimaki as a top pairing d-man and...? Our depth at LHD is predicated on the fact we have Hanifin behind Giordano, and with us presumably losing Giordano's top years, losing Hanifin movs heavily from it being a strength. You arent going to expose someone because they are a good trade chip cause like, we want to trade them? Let's expose our best trade chip and just get nothing for them becuase?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Unless kylington improves defensively, he'll be on waiver as soon as he is available. There will be an outrage here but nobody will claim him. Happened all the time.
I'm not sure about that, we still need a 7th defenseman, especially with Tanev's injury history. The problem with that is that Kylinton still isn't signed and we have very little cap space available. Assuming Kylinton would sign for around $800K, that would only leave us about $200K, which really isn't even enough for a call up. For that reason, I don't think Tre is done yet. This organization is not dumb enough to bank on Tanev being healthy all year, for basically the first time in his career, at 30 years old.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not sure about that, we still need a 7th defenseman, especially with Tanev's injury history. The problem with that is that Kylinton still isn't signed and we have very little cap space available. Assuming Kylinton would sign for around $800K, that would only leave us about $200K, which really isn't even enough for a call up. For that reason, I don't think Tre is done yet. This organization is not dumb enough to bank on Tanev being healthy all year, for basically the first time in his career, at 30 years old.

Because of cap space, they will need flexibility back and forth with the farm. It's up to kylington. He needs to show he is worth keeping. So far the organization has not shown much faith in him....right now I don't think, they value him any more than they did with kulak or wotherspoon.

Don't forget for 2 yrs in a row they prefer gems like fantenberg and forbort over him when it counts

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Because of cap space, they will need flexibility back and forth with the farm. It's up to kylington. He needs to show he is worth keeping. So far the organization has not shown much faith in him....right now I don't think, they value him any more than they did with kulak or wotherspoon.
I agree 100% on the cap space and I also believe the organization is pretty high on Mackey. That being said, its not a matter of if injuries happen, its when and for that reason, I think its important to carry a full time 7th defenseman. We really don't save much cap space, whether its Kylinton or Mackey and for that reason, I believe we'll still be moving out some cap. My guess is still Ryan, but time will tell.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad