GDT: FA Frenzy Thread

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
On the bright side, when Huska misuses Kylington again this season, hopefully Seattle is put off and doesn't take him.

Eerie resemblance to the hysteria on this board about Brett Kulak.
Every team in the league has a guy like Oliver Kylington, tweener that fans think is something beyond special given the opportunity.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Every team in the league has a guy like Oliver Kylington, tweener that fans think is something beyond special given the opportunity.
The Brett Kulak comparison is interesting because he actually developed into a guy that was leaned on heavily by Montreal in the playoffs after Treliving did him a solid by trading him.

Sure he plodded along inoffensively and anonymously here (Noah Hanifin anyone?) but he did actually grow into his expanded role in Montreal quite well

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Sam Bennett sends his regards

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The Brett Kulak comparison is interesting because he actually developed into a guy that was leaned on heavily by Montreal in the playoffs after Treliving did him a solid by trading him.

Sure he plodded along inoffensively and anonymously here (Noah Hanifin anyone?) but he did actually grow into his expanded role in Montreal quite well

And no one thought Kulak had Kylington's ceiling. We simply thought he could be... what he is for Montreal... for us.

I still think a Gio-Brodie / Kulak-Hamilton top four would have been rock-solid.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Nah, that's like comparing apples and tomatoes. Both are types of fruit, but only one tastes good in a pie.

Kylington is the apple, in this scenario.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
This metaphor confuses me. I'm pretty meh about apple pie, but these recipes sounds fantastic.

Tomato Pie Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com
Tomato Pie {Savory Dinner Pie} - Spend with Pennies
47liFB1.gif

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I didn't realize bottom pair, 0 PP and 5th D SH minutes was being leaned on heavily.
But hey, whatever fits the narrative, amirite?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I didn't realize bottom pair, 0 PP and 5th D SH minutes was being leaned on heavily.

Funny, you're the one using special teams stats to make up a narrative.

Here's what actually happened:

In terms of Corsi-for percentage (CF%), Kulak led all skaters at 59.1%, while Petry was right behind him at 58.3%.
While those numbers are impressive, when you take into account the fact the duo spent most of the night against Sidney Crosby and Pittsburgh’s top defensive pair, it’s even more impressive. When matched against Crosby and his linemates, or Kris Letang and Brian Dumoulin, the duo of Petry and Kulak came out ahead in just about every single statistical category.
It was the kind of performance that wins playoff series, and it was a great showing for both players. It’s not limited to just their stats in the game, but all the little things they did over the course of the game that stand out. Obviously Petry scored the game-winning goal, but when watching closely it was Kulak making a large number of smart plays to benefit the Habs. Along the boards and on defence, Kulak did well to force plays to the outside and smother puck-carriers when he closed them into the boards. While Shea Weber and Ben Chiarot were noticeable in their physical efforts around the net, the Petry-Kulak duo brought that same intensity to tying up Penguins attackers and keeping them from getting any momentum started. In the offensive zone both Petry and Kulak did well to jump up and keep plays alive, often creating chances for themselves as they worked in from the blue line.

Jeff Petry and Brett Kulak were the defensive drivers for Montreal in Game 1

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
What narrative :laugh:? The fact that Kylington and Kulak aren't trending out of the league and need(ed) more ice time? Kulak took some tough match-ups in the playoffs, looked good and Habs fans love the guy. Kulak's trajectory didn't align with our timeline as a team so we moved on. No one loses sleep over what he could have been here.

Kylington is a flashier guy with a lot more upside here who adds a different flavour to our line-up. But hey why not try to build the most offensively inept D-core in the division amirite?

Last edited:

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
What narrative :laugh:? The fact that Kylington and Kulak aren't trending out of the league and need(ed) more ice time? Kulak took some tough match-ups in the playoffs, looked good and Habs fans love the guy. Kulak's trajectory didn't align with our timeline as a team so we moved on. No one loses sleep over what he could have been here.

Kylington is a flashier guy with a lot more upside here who adds some a different flavour to our line-up. But hey why not try to build the most offensively inept D-core in the division amirite?
I think the narrative here is that the Flames terribly mismanaged Kulak by not playing him in the top 4 and opted to keep Hamonic/others in lieu of him when Valimkai came up, but I don't know for sure.

In all reality, the comparisons between Kulak and Kylington are weird. Sure they were both prospects and we feel weren't utilized correctly, but Kulak was established as a #5 guy that could develop, but we were happy with the top 4 and were expecting him to grow in that role until Valimaki showed massive strides at camp and won a spot over him. The biggest mismanagement was playing Stone over Kulak without seeing if he could play the right side at the top level. That's a moot point since Andersson came in and blew Stone out of the water, but if Valimaki is healthy we aren't talking about Kulak being traded being a waste, its seen as him being a #7 d-man that should get playing time--much like Kylington. Kylington actually has a spot to make the NHL... but he was blocked by Stone... and now we are looking at guys coming into camp who would normally be 7th d-men being considered above him...

No, I just talked myself into this being a perfect comparable.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kylington is a flashier guy with a lot more upside here who adds a different flavour to our line-up. But hey why not try to build the most offensively inept D-core in the division amirite?

A D-corps with Giordano, Andersson, Valimaki and Hanifin in terms of offensive ability is still in the top half of the league. Yeah, there's no Karlsson or Hughes; but then again, Kylington doesn't move the needle there either.

In terms of flashy/upside/flavour, let me know when he does it. Outside of cherry picked stats, he's had a, what? A 15 game stretch in the AHL in his career so far where he's looked like a potential offensive threat a couple years ago? Meanwhile each of his coaches and his GM have really questioned his defensive abilities since he was 18.

It's fine to like a player, and want to give him a chance in the 6 role; but thinking this guy's a legit elite offensive talent when he's closer to being out of the league by the time he's 25, doesn't make sense. We've seen a few glimpses of that offence he can bring (I think back to that goal he scored against Carolina) but we've also seen what keeps him on the bench more frequently than not (I think back to... I want to say against Toronto and St Louis within a couple games of each other, where he gets beat clean on the side then takes a holding/interference penalty because he's out of position).

The best part is, I'm a Kylington guy, I still have a picture of me and him in my office from his draft year; I want him in the #6 slot to play with Valimaki potentially; but this board is fully engaged the hype train. Without much merit.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The best part is, I'm a Kylington guy, I still have a picture of me and him in my office from his draft year; I want him in the #6 slot to play with Valimaki potentially; but this board is fully engaged the hype train. Without much merit.
But dont you see? Kylington hasn't played because management is stupid, they don't see he's a cup winning 1D! He can skate well... and uhh............... he's a potential cup winning #1D!

Honestly, I wish the best for Kylington but this board is going to make me cry if he ends up being anything better than Tyson Barrie lite

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
A D-corps with Giordano, Andersson, Valimaki and Hanifin in terms of offensive ability is still in the top half of the league. Yeah, there's no Karlsson or Hughes; but then again, Kylington doesn't move the needle there either.
Offense just isn't a highlight of Andersson's game - he'll chip in every now and then but he's more of Brodie-level transition guy. And it's quickly left Mark "shinpad" Giordano's game. Hanifin's done virtually nothing with the heaps of PP opportunity he's been given. Valimaki might be the only one with some high upside there outside of Kylington.

In terms of flashy/upside/flavour, let me know when he does it. Outside of cherry picked stats, he's had a, what? A 15 game stretch in the AHL in his career so far where he's looked like a potential offensive threat a couple years ago? Meanwhile each of his coaches and his GM have really questioned his defensive abilities since he was 18.

It's fine to like a player, and want to give him a chance in the 6 role; but thinking this guy's a legit elite offensive talent when he's closer to being out of the league by the time he's 25, doesn't make sense. We've seen a few glimpses of that offence he can bring (I think back to that goal he scored against Carolina) but we've also seen what keeps him on the bench more frequently than not (I think back to... I want to say against Toronto and St Louis within a couple games of each other, where he gets beat clean on the side then takes a holding/interference penalty because he's out of position).

Where did I say that? I've already said that his offense needs more work than his defense but the unique skillset he brings would make us a better team if he's given the opportunity to grow into it.

This goal seems pretty meh at face value but do any of our Dmen display the instincts to find this open ice and try something like this? And that's on top of the fact that it's a one-time blast which seems to be a lost art in Flames defensemen. Not a great shot but it was surprising enough to catch Koskinen off-guard

You got to have players that think differently in your line-up and express a more diverse playstyle that goes beyond the confines of the team's system. And again, his defensive problems are overblown. Plus what's the difference if he's at fault for a goal against vs an egregious turnover or missed assignment by a Derek Forbort or Michael Stone that leads to the same thing? Life goes on and the young guy will learn from it.

But dont you see? Kylington hasn't played because management is stupid, they don't see he's a cup winning 1D! He can skate well... and uhh............... he's a potential cup winning #1D!

Honestly, I wish the best for Kylington but this board is going to make me cry if he ends up being anything better than Tyson Barrie lite
You're the only one who thinks people are exaggerating what Kylington can do.

Every single comment in favour of him getting a bigger role on the team has been completely rational and qualified with saying that there might be a long road ahead but could be a fruitful endeavor. If you can't see why fans would prefer we devote time to a homegrown player with upside over a developed late-20s, early 30s plug looking to stay in the league next year then I don't know what to tell you.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

That is a bold as f*** statement given we have people saying he can be a Karlsson level player.

Does Kylington have more to offer? Quite probably. But lets not pretend this fanbase hasn't had the hype thrusters engaged on him since well before the draft in his year, and a sizable contingent of fans here were screaming to take him with our first and pitched a fit when we didn't.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That is a bold as f*** statement given we have people saying he can be a Karlsson level player.

Does Kylington have more to offer? Quite probably. But lets not pretend this fanbase hasn't had the hype thrusters engaged on him since well before the draft in his year, and a sizable contingent of fans here were screaming to take him with our first and pitched a fit when we didn't.

this guy gets it.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Pretty offensive to Kylington to compare him to Karlsson imo

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Offense just isn't a highlight of Andersson's game - he'll chip in every now and then but he's more of Brodie-level transition guy. And it's quickly left Mark "shinpad" Giordano's game. Hanifin's done virtually nothing with the heaps of PP opportunity he's been given. Valimaki might be the only one with some high upside there outside of Kylington.

Where did I say that? I've already said that his offense needs more work than his defense but the unique skillset he brings would make us a better team if he's given the opportunity to grow into it.

This goal seems pretty meh at face value but do any of our Dmen display the instincts to find this open ice and try something like this? And that's on top of the fact that it's a one-time blast which seems to be a lost art in Flames defensemen. Not a great shot but it was surprising enough to catch Koskinen off-guard

You got to have players that think differently in your line-up and express a more diverse playstyle that goes beyond the confines of the team's system. And again, his defensive problems are overblown. Plus what's the difference if he's at fault for a goal against vs an egregious turnover or missed assignment by a Derek Forbort or Michael Stone that leads to the same thing? Life goes on and the young guy will learn from it.

Every single comment in favour of him getting a bigger role on the team has been completely rational and qualified with saying that there might be a long road ahead but could be a fruitful endeavor. If you can't see why fans would prefer we devote time to a homegrown player with upside over a developed late-20s, early 30s plug looking to stay in the league next year then I don't know what to tell you.

Excellent post!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad