GDT: FA Frenzy Thread

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I am really starting to think that Jarmo did this to handcuff a ton of teams. I wouldn't even be surprised now if he's not actually targeting UFA, but instead laying the foundation down to smoke out Tampa and NYI.

Lose $50, but get a $150 discount on something he likes kind of thing. Good god this is kinda exciting. It also means other than maybe Markstrom and Brodie (no equivalent pieces not in the spotlight worth chasing), I don't want any part of UFA. I want Tre to smoke out other teams like Jarmo seems to be planning on doing!

This move though I think it makes a ton of teams stumble out of the gate for UFA or a ton of panic follow up trades tonight. We shall see what transpires.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Jets might get Paul Stastny.

Teams are making moves and we are just sitting on our hands whistling Yankee.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
the less we do in free afency the better. Answers are in the organization and trade.

re-sign Brodie
trade Monahan and Hanifin for Jack Eichel
Promote Bennett, Dube, Phillips, Zavgorodniy

Gaudreau - Eichel - Dube
Tkachuk - Bennett - Phillips
Mangiapane - Backlund - Lindholm
Lucic - Ryan - Zavgorodniy

Kylington - Andersson
Giordano - Brodie
Valimaki - Yelesin

Rittich
Cheap backup for Rittich

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Someone pulled up a Jarmo quote in the CBJ forum. It's starting to look like Jarmo has laid a trap and plans to go fire sale shopping. Arizona, NYI, Tampa and a few more looking to cut payroll might be fish in a barrel soon.

I hope Tre takes a moment to slow down, understand Jarmo's plan and re-calibrate his strategy so he can follow behind Jarmo and lap up crazy deals too. I actually think maybe Tre should cut his UFA wish list in half and start putting heat to the feet of teams like Tampa and NYI.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Someone pulled up a Jarmo quote in the CBJ forum. It's starting to look like Jarmo has laid a trap and plans to go fire sale shopping. Arizona, NYI, Tampa and a few more looking to cut payroll might be fish in a barrel soon.

I hope Tre takes a moment to slow down, understand Jarmo's plan and re-calibrate his strategy so he can follow behind Jarmo and lap up crazy deals too. I actually think maybe Tre should cut his UFA wish list in half and start putting heat to the feet of teams like Tampa and NYI.
I read an article that Tre said exactly that. He'll play a "wait and see" tactic until after all the panic buyers... Can't find it now, however, so this post is a take my word for it. But I am the most straight talkin' poster here so that's no problemo.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I read an article that Tre said exactly that. He'll play a "wait and see" tactic until after all the panic buyers... Can't find it now, however, so this post is a take my word for it. But I am the most straight talkin' poster here so that's no problemo.

Actually, you're I think I remember something along those lines as well in a recent interview. This would be similar to the quote from Jarmo in the CBJ forum.

There was also a rumor from an unnamed GM who said that there's like 50 franchise changing names on the market right now, but most teams have no room to take them. I'm really damn curious to see who gets wrecked.

Brodie and Markstrom I want back because I cannot see an opportunity to replace those calibre guys for as cheap even in a fire sale, but for all the other positions, I'd like a wait and see approach.

i wouldn’t be so sure. Condensed season means we’re gonna need a strong duo to split starts at least 50/32

Well, consider the fact that there's a ton of rumblings of certain teams considering gutting their rosters and throwing the next few seasons until Covid blows over and some teams rumored not even wanting to spend to the cap floor and what CBJ has done to the value of the trade market today. We might be able to trade Rittich straight up for an upgrade of a few mil in salary because of what the other team is hoping to accomplish in terms of cap savings.

It'll possibly be insane.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Holy crap. Jarmo shopping Savard now! Dude definitely must be looking to overhaul his roster by poisoning the value of assets league wide! I wouldn't be surprised if he's planning on smoking out Tampa or NYI and pulling out a top pairing guy for like a 2nd or something. Holy cow!

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I admire Jarmo's balls. Too many limp-dick GMs in this league. At least he brings action.

i wouldn’t be so sure. Condensed season means we’re gonna need a strong duo to split starts at least 50/32
From the stuff I've seen, it doesn't sound like the organization is too happy with how he approached the playoffs between his intensity in practice and then shitting the bed in game 6. He also lost his net going into the ploffs to another goalie on our merry-go-round again

Reactions: Volica

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Holy crap. Jarmo shopping Savard now! Dude definitely must be looking to overhaul his roster by poisoning the value of assets league wide! I wouldn't be surprised if he's planning on smoking out Tampa or NYI and pulling out a top pairing guy for like a 2nd or something. Holy cow!
It’s entirely possible he’s been told to cut costs by ownership too.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't think Torts would stick around for a rebuild. He's got better things to do.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It’s entirely possible he’s been told to cut costs by ownership too.

Cutting costs doesn't mean you have to sell your dmen for 30-50 cents on the dollar on the eve of UFA. I think he should be able to do better even if he's making a desperation trade. That's why I don't think it's that simple. Jarmo isn't that big of an idiot. If you look at his trade history, he often wrecks other GM in terms of trade value.

History of hockey trades by general manager Jarmo Kekalainen - NHL Trade Tracker

But I seriously not necessarily think he's going to use all of his cap space in UFA, that's why I also think he's got more up his sleeve. I really think he's planning to go fire sale shopping and he will basically also have the options of selecting from players that in any other years wouldn't be available at all.

I don't think Torts would stick around for a rebuild. He's got better things to do.

If my theory is correct, it's not a rebuild. Torts is going to have a seriously overhauled roster. CBJ will possibly replace Tampa as the Eastern powerhouse by the end of the month!

Reactions: Mobiandi

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I mean selling your assets for cheap is exactly what teams are going to do to cut costs. Nobody is paying full value to take on cap/salary right now.

We’ll find out tomorrow I guess.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I mean selling your assets for cheap is exactly what teams are going to do to cut costs. Nobody is paying full value to take on cap/salary right now.

We’ll find out tomorrow I guess.

Yes, but Murray = Gubrandson cheap? Nothing points to Jarmo being painted that badly in a corner that he has to pull deals off like this. That's why I think it's deliberate and not purely for salary cap reasons too.

Hanifin is a 2nd pairing guy that previously we'd assume is worth at least a 1st and a 2nd. With Nutivaara and Murry being borderline 2nd pairing going for less than a 5th, if Jarmo calls asking for Hanifin, he'd laugh and say Hanifin is worth a 2nd, max, right?

I think this is what Jarmo could potentially do with NYI with Pulock and Tampa who are stuck in a bad cap situation with Sergachev if this is what he's trying to play.

I agree. I want to see what this mad man's strategy is.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
the less we do in free afency the better. Answers are in the organization and trade.

re-sign Brodie
trade Monahan and Hanifin for Jack Eichel
Promote Bennett, Dube, Phillips, Zavgorodniy

Gaudreau - Eichel - Dube
Tkachuk - Bennett - Phillips
Mangiapane - Backlund - Lindholm
Lucic - Ryan - Zavgorodniy

Kylington - Andersson
Giordano - Brodie
Valimaki - Yelesin

Rittich
Cheap backup for Rittich
What kind of creature are you

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ok, let's assume Jarmo unloads Savard and sits on his hands in UFA so the top 10 UFA aren't signed by him. Who else will have even 8 million in cap space to play with to abuse teams who need to become cap compliant while he sits around with 16 million?

That's the basis of my theory.

Even if he chases AP for instance at 9, he still has a ton of cap left over for some pretty big deals. In theory, could he find a way to have a roster with 3 #1Dmen and pay a mere pittance for it (even with the losses of the players he just threw away)? We shall have to wait and see.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I do think Jarmo's playing the market here, but I do think everyone's overreacting to what he can actually do when it's played out.

He's selling off and buying out a lot of perimeter players, those same players that you'll find in 90% of proposals coming out of Columbus.

I honestly think he's just playing around with his two-year window here, saving his overlords some money; and maybe looking to go for at least one big name tomorrow morning to convince his big two D to stay in town in a couple seasons.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I do think Jarmo's playing the market here, but I do think everyone's overreacting to what he can actually do when it's played out.

He's selling off and buying out a lot of perimeter players, those same players that you'll find in 90% of proposals coming out of Columbus.

I honestly think he's just playing around with his two-year window here, saving his overlords some money; and maybe looking to go for at least one big name tomorrow morning to convince his big two D to stay in town in a couple seasons.

I think he's aiming to be a top 3 cup favourite team for the next 3 years in a row.

Yes, including after losing an asset to Seattle.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
In fairness to Jarmo, Nutivara and Murray are basically their bottom pair. And Murray has lots of injury issues. So it's not the.worst space to clear money. And Jackets fans have been saying they have.s young defenseman ready for top 6 duties. With the flat cap and tons of players, Jarmo can find a #5 in FA cheap if he needs. Plus he saves payroll. Plus he has cap space to get free agents if he wants, plus he has space to take advantage of teams in tough spots. He's opened up a lot of possibilities.

And for us, I'd look at Dadonov over Hoffman if he'll take a two year. Shoots left but plays RW, back to back 28 goal seasons.

Reactions: Fig
Sep 13, 2009
Gaudreau - Monahan - ?
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Bennett - Backlund - Dube
Lucic - Ryan - ?

Giordano - ?
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - ?

?
Rittich

So we need 2 forwards (1 top-six RW), 2 d-men (1 top-four RD), and a #1 goaltender.

:eek:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad