GDT: FA Frenzy Thread

TheButcher90

Sep 19, 2019
Markstrom is my top target. Mike Hoffman is my backup plan if Hall isn't willing to sign in CGY

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
G: Markstrom >> Interesting other option > MAF > Crawford > Holtby

2RD: Brodie > Tanev > Barrie >> Vatanen
3RD: Stetcher > Benning

4RW: Caggiula > Reider >

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I think we will see a surprise trade from the Flames, sort of what happened with Hamilton trade.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
A Hamilton trade was talked about for weeks before it happened in the Calgary media. Not really a peep about anything like that so far in this offseason.

We will se what happens, the team cannot be the same, there has to be changes.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
If we left the top 2 lines alone it could be worth upgrading the bottom 6. Sign Namestnikov to play 3rd line with Bennett and Dube. Lucic moves to 4th line with Ryan and sign Hinostroza for RW on that line. Then save big moves for G and D but I think you still gotta move some money out and to me that is Derek Ryan as he has value. Then maybe Gawdin is ready for 4th line.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Man guys the cap just doesn’t work to upgrade much at all. Tried to sign Holtby, re-sign Brodie, sign Namestnikov, Hinostrosza at 4.5, 5.0, 3.25 and 1.85 respectively and still pushing 5 mil over the cap. When you got the 4 old guys (Gio, looch , Ryan, Backs) making 25% of your cap it really sucks. 25% of the cap is going to a 2nd pairing dman (moving forward), 3rd line center and two 4th liners. That really makes it tough to improve.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Man guys the cap just doesn’t work to upgrade much at all. Tried to sign Holtby, re-sign Brodie, sign Namestnikov, Hinostrosza at 4.5, 5.0, 3.25 and 1.85 respectively and still pushing 5 mil over the cap. When you got the 4 old guys (Gio, looch , Ryan, Backs) making 25% of your cap it really sucks. 25% of the cap is going to a 2nd pairing dman (moving forward), 3rd line center and two 4th liners. That really makes it tough to improve.

Guys like that can be filled internally, IMO we should prioritize re-signing Brodie (or going after Barrie if that doesn't work) and going after Hall/Markstrom. Depth forwards don't really do much for this team IMO. We need depth D more than anything really as well.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Geez we could of filled our D needs by giving Luke Philp and a 2021 5th rounder for Ryan Murray and Nutivaara. Jarmo giving guys away; must be getting ready to make a huge offer.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I've always been a big fan of Mike Hoffman. Can play both the left and right side and he's a sniper. But he'll turn 31 before the season even starts.
The question is.... is he tired of playing for loser teams and ready to sign a team friendly contract for the chance to win a Cup?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Why would anybody want Brad Trevling to get involved with UFA?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Why would anybody want Brad Trevling to get involved with UFA?
The problem with Treliving is that he always goes cheap on the Class A free agents and never wins the bid so he then goes after the Class B & C leftovers and inevitably gets burned.
Go big or go home I say. Leave the leftovers for someone else.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The problem with Treliving is that he always goes cheap on the Class A free agents and never wins the bid so he then goes after the Class B & C leftovers and inevitably gets burned.
Go big or go home I say. Leave the leftovers for someone else.

It honestly doesn't matter. Overpaid class A is equally as disastrous, if not more so. Whatever tier you're in, the key is to get value. Most UFA deals league-wide fail at this, and we are no exception.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Geez we could of filled our D needs by giving Luke Philp and a 2021 5th rounder for Ryan Murray and Nutivaara. Jarmo giving guys away; must be getting ready to make a huge offer.

After recovering from my shock, I cannot help but think it's tactical. I feel like it's a multi faceted move especially if he's big fish hunting. The dude may have just redefined what constitutes a cap dump market wide. This may mean that many trades that are contingent on moving cap are suddenly handcuffed at the 11th hour.

1. He knocks out a few Eastern competitors with cheap calories. (FLA + NJD)
2. He handcuffs other teams league wide trying to make moves contingent on cap moves and/or increases the cost to move cap (ie: VGK, Tampa and NYI)
3. He cheapens the cost to acquire the UFAs and forcing many UFA to take lower AAV offers. (ie: Target Barrie and Vatanen in the 3-4 mil range)
4. The UFA he acquires can become cheap currency within a year. (TDL, Seattle bribe etc.)
5. Profit!

It would be like ensuring the market drops 20% league wide. If he's upgrading from an apartment to a million dollar home, he's saving more than he's losing. Or 3 steps back, 5 steps forward?

UFA just got a bit more interesting... Or less interesting?

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It honestly doesn't matter. Overpaid class A is equally as disastrous, if not more so. Whatever tier you're in, the key is to get value. Most UFA deals league-wide fail at this, and we are no exception.

I kind of disagree here.
You get your money's worth for class A free agents. But legit class A free agents, and not just sheep's clothing class A.

Examples like Panarin and Tavares. While it hasn't worked out great for Toronto, they also had really no reason to go after a guy like JT with the team they were building.

You'll always get you money's worth from the real stars. Where FA falls apart are the guys that are just the best available.

To me, Hall and AP are the two guys worth money here. The rest of the players available, Calgary should avoid bidding war situations. IF you're patient here, you'll have a crop sign out of the gate, and then teams simply run out of cap. Remember, most of the league is in worse shape than Calgary this offseason. We don't need to pay Barrie 6 million+, when a guy like Sami Vatanen might not find a new home 10 minutes after FA starts and may have to wait a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad