GWT: FA Cup Round Three

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Liverpool were previously not a threat whatsoever to score from corners, but now they have a big 6'4 bloke who is one of the best aerial players out there. It wasn't like that goal was the only chance he had either.

Ox wasn't great in open play today but he had numerous great set piece deliveries and tracks back like a monster.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Micky looked fine. Either give him a chance or sell him. Don’t play him with the intention of taking him off at half.

He looked fine for Sunday league play. He looked brutal for a team like United.

His passes were off and the timing of his runs was poor. I think only Rashford had a poorer half.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Worth every penny.

Their only chance came from Matip fouling someone and then getting fouled and thrown to the ground, so that was a positive. Of course they scored because it was such a good chance, but it is Everton and they aren't a great attacking team. I need to see what happens the rest of the season.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Their only chance came from Matip fouling someone and then getting fouled and thrown to the ground, so that was a positive. Of course they scored because it was such a good chance, but it is Everton and they aren't a great attacking team. I need to see what happens the rest of the season.
Of course me too, but beating Everton at home on the debut is certainly a nice return already.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Of course the best thing I enjoyed was his obvious efforts to organize back there. Stepped in, taking charge. Won headers like I haven’t seen since we had that Greek guy who couldn’t do much more than that.

Still need a keeper.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Virgil. I love you. Was MOTM even before he scored.

I would give it to Robertson. He was dangerous going forward, gave up nothing to Bolasie on the wing and made a couple very strong back post clearances.

Can't argue with Virgil tho!

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Worth every penny.
You know I came across this today :

Real spent 50M on their defense : Marcelo+Ramos+Varane+Carvajal (6.5+27+10+6.5)
Barca spend 58M : Alba+Umtiti+Pique+Sergi (14+25+5+14, don't know where they get those numbers)
Bayern 57M : Alba+Boateng+Hummels+Kimmich (0+13.5+35+8.5)
Juventus 60M : Sandro+Barzagli+Rugani+Chiellini+Lichsteiner (5 players! 26+17+0.3+7+10)
Atletico 65M : Felipe Luis+Godin+Savic+Vrsajlko (16+8+25+16)
Inter 40.5M : D'ambrosio+Miranda+Skriniar+Nagatomo (4+23+9+4.5)
Napoli 29.5M : Ghoulam+Koulibaly+Albiol+Hysaj (5+7.8+12+5)

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
You know I came across this today :

Real spent 50M on their defense : Marcelo+Ramos+Varane+Carvajal (6.5+27+10+6.5)
Barca spend 58M : Alba+Umtiti+Pique+Sergi (14+25+5+14, don't know where they get those numbers)
Bayern 57M : Alba+Boateng+Hummels+Kimmich (0+13.5+35+8.5)
Juventus 60M : Sandro+Barzagli+Rugani+Chiellini+Lichsteiner (5 players! 26+17+0.3+7+10)
Atletico 65M : Felipe Luis+Godin+Savic+Vrsajlko (16+8+25+16)
Inter 40.5M : D'ambrosio+Miranda+Skriniar+Nagatomo (4+23+9+4.5)
Napoli 29.5M : Ghoulam+Koulibaly+Albiol+Hysaj (5+7.8+12+5)
Certainly they overpaid. But it’s possible they could have a back line of 75 for VVD, Robertson for 8 and zero for Matip and Arnold Alexander.

Admittedly, many of those numbers are also of buys done years ago where the market this year has gone bonkers. The City defensive investment alone made it crazy. All of those players are going for much more than they were paid for them. Koulibaly would go for 60-70 by himself when he finally does move.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I could add PSG's :
Kurzawa+Thiago Silva+Marquinhos+Alves (25+42+31+0 = 98)
Or Monaco last year :
Mendy+Jemerson+Glik+Sidibe (13+11+11+15=50)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
who cares? If he helps us win it's worth it. Beating Everton alone was worth it

Also all those numbers are out dated.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Certainly they overpaid. But it’s possible they could have a back line of 75 for VVD, Robertson for 8 and zero for Matip and Arnold Alexander.

Admittedly, many of those numbers are also of buys done years ago where the market this year has gone bonkers. The City defensive investment alone made it crazy. All of those players are going for much more than they were paid for them. Koulibaly would go for 60-70 by himself when he finally does move.
Not really.
Umtiti, Alves, Hummels, Savic, Vrsajlko, Skriniar, Mendy, Jemerson, Glik and Sidibe were all bought in the last 2 years.

The reason why they would go for much more now is because those teams bought them BEFORE they exploded.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
@Evilo no one cares about the price tag if he is successful. Also it’s not a fair comparison because of when those transfers took place, and varying context around each signing.

It’s all irrelevant

Reactions: Theon and Mr Plow

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The reason why they would go for much more now is because those teams bought them BEFORE they exploded.
Correct. Liverpool didn’t have that luxury, and I don’t know how many of those other teams had to out bid Man City; in the January window no less.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
No self-respecting continental club would sell to ANY English club at those prices. Not last window, this one, or any in the future.

Reactions: Mr Plow

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They had the luxury of buying many excellent young up and coming defensemen for the last two years and they haven't. They chose to invest more than championship team defenses just because they targeted a single defenseman.

To say he's worth every penny is funny but untrue, baring EPL+CL win where he is directly responsible for it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They had the luxury of buying many excellent young up and coming defensemen for the last two years and they haven't. They chose to invest more than championship team defenses just because they targeted a single defenseman.

To say he's worth every penny is funny but untrue, baring EPL+CL win where he is directly responsible for it.
It’s too soon too say whether he is worth it but to not consider the market is really turning a blind eye.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

Ok, then do City’s? They’re the best team right now.

Heck, look at what PSG are going to have to pay if they’re going to replace one of theirs? Look at the floor if Real want to replace one of theirs.

They overpaid, but that’s also where the market is to get the top available talent.

It’s not completely fair to take the generic numbers without considering some of them and how like with Bayern or Barca that they could more or less bully clubs into the sales. It’s not as simple as taking the straight numbers.

But yes, it would be better to buy and develop, but they are where they are, and they have the money to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad