F Yegor Sokolov (2020, 61st, OTT)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
How team's didn't give this guy a contract is beyond me. At the worst, his skating will limit him to the AHL. At best he makes significant strides and is an absolute beast to handle on the bottom 6.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
How team's didn't give this guy a contract is beyond me. At the worst, his skating will limit him to the AHL. At best he makes significant strides and is an absolute beast to handle on the bottom 6.

I think at best he's a top 6 player. He's got a lot of skill and a great shot.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Isn't the last time he was eligible to be signed as a free agent a year and a half ago? At that point Yegor was carrying a lot more fat, skating very sluggishly, and had a more hunched posture. I think teams looked at him and saw a guy that didn't have the build to become a pro athlete.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He’s doing pretty good for sure . I still wonder how he would do in a full strength AHL , playing against other divisions . A brief NHL stint should do him some good and let him know what to expect so that he can prepare properly for next season .

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
This guy has the proper mentality and desire to succeed. He may turn into a real player in the big show. He has scored again tonight and is starting to consistently be the teams most dangerous offensive weapon. I like the direction this guy is on.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
Isn't the last time he was eligible to be signed as a free agent a year and a half ago? At that point Yegor was carrying a lot more fat, skating very sluggishly, and had a more hunched posture. I think teams looked at him and saw a guy that didn't have the build to become a pro athlete.

This is pretty accurate view IMO. He's really put the work in off ice over the past 2-3 years and its showing

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
When he first got to CB, his conditioning was not great, his skating was quite bad, and his defensive play was non existent. He was always big and had an amazing shot though, so he had some tools to work with and was a big pp threat.

I've heard he has a great desire to succeed so he likely has been taking his conditioning etc more seriously along with working on his weaknesses. He always had the tools but he was going to need to put in the work which it looks like he has.

Reactions: topshelf15

Cbgrinder

Jun 30, 2017

His last Columbus camp he was actually very noticeable and thought an offer was coming. He had scored at a goal per game pace through Traverse city prospect tournament, was invited to main camp and actually played in an exhibition game in the NHL pre season. Was kept around a day or two after all other junior players were sent back to junior and with Columbus lack of prospects and picks thought an offer was coming. It never happened obviously, he came back to Cape Breton with a huge chip on his shoulder and a few personal goals (world Juniors, 50 goals and to be drafted).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
His last Columbus camp he was actually very noticeable and thought an offer was coming. He had scored at a goal per game pace through Traverse city prospect tournament, was invited to main camp and actually played in an exhibition game in the NHL pre season. Was kept around a day or two after all other junior players were sent back to junior and with Columbus lack of prospects and picks thought an offer was coming. It never happened obviously, he came back to Cape Breton with a huge chip on his shoulder and a few personal goals (world Juniors, 50 goals and to be drafted).

That was what I was referring to as well. He scored but was slow and *looked* out of shape. Perhaps some of that was unfair. In any case you can tell he cut fat and got stronger and quicker.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

This kid is a PLAYER. Wow. And Sens chief scout Trent Mann (y'all best learn that name soon) was just on the radio and reiterated his FULL confidence that Sokolov was going to score goals in NHL someday, bottom line.

Ive been following him fairly closely since the draft because of the cool stories about him being a super likeable and nice kid. And knowing his story (ie being passed over twice), and being stuck in Canada with his billet family due to covid - but that video of his billet mom grabbing him and bear hugging him when the Sens announced his name (in the 2nd freaking round no less!!) pretty much brought a tear to my eye.

Maybe its the fact that Im dating a Russian girl right now, or because the Sens are loaded with lovable Russians like Zub and Sokolov. Or because of the doc-series I watched on the Russian monarchy recently... But Im all about the Russkies these days.

За нашу дружбу!

Last edited:

LokiCalder

Apr 20, 2021
This kid is a PLAYER. Wow. And Sens chief scout Trent Mann (y'all best learn that name soon) was just on the radio and reiterated his FULL confidence that Sokolov was going to score goals in NHL someday, bottom line.

Ive been following him fairly closely since the draft because of the cool stories about him being a super likeable and nice kid. And knowing his story (ie being passed over twice), and being stuck in Canada with his billet family due to covid - but that video of his billet mom grabbing him and bear hugging him when the Sens announced his name (in the 2nd freaking round no less!!) pretty much brought a tear to my eye.

Maybe its the fact that Im dating a Russian girl right now, or because the Sens are loaded with lovable Russians like Zub and Sokolov. Or because of the doc-series I watched on the Russian monarchy recently... But Im all about the Russkies these days.

За нашу дружбу!

To be fair the sens weren't even the first team to discover him and give him a shot.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yet no one signed him...Except Ottawa after they drafted him...So who really gave him a shot??
Nobody gave him a shot, he worked hard and improved his game to earn his shot. He was a fairly high ranked prospect slated to be a 2nd to 4th round pick. If Ottawa didn't draft him someone else would have.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Nobody gave him a shot, he worked hard and improved his game to earn his shot. He was a fairly high ranked prospect slated to be a 2nd to 4th round pick. If Ottawa didn't draft him someone else would have.
I heard on draft day that Ottawa,s management was asking his former teammate Batherson about him....And u are right Soko had the right attitude and desire to get better,which the most important part for any player wanting to make the NHL one day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad