F Yegor Sokolov (2020, 61st, OTT)

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You had Michael McCarron hopefully Sokolov works out better

McCarron was more physical and more willing to drop the gloves and engage in the rough stuff.

Sokolov has skill and is a better skater. They're both kinda dumb on the ice and rake bad penalties.

Obvious no guarantee he makes it, but given what we know now, Sokolov has a better chance to be something in the NHL than McCarron. Though, retrospect is 20/20

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
NHL rankings have him 94th in north american skaters, im fine using the sens 3rd or perhaps one our later 2nd round picks on him. That said im kinda curious is he a pain in the ass to play against, i.e. a meanstreak sorta like Tkachuk?

Sens have enough prospects in that he won't need to be rushed in any way.

Sens late 2nd for the win!

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I think this is a very shrewd pick by the Sens. This is my thoughts. I watched a lot of Abramov in junior and he thrived with linemate Yakov Trenin. I’ve always compared Sokolov to Trenin. I think this pick will benefit Abramov and look for them to have good chemistry if Sokolov can keep up and he should. He’s a tank

Reactions: Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I think this is a very shrewd pick by the Sens. This is my thoughts. I watched a lot of Abramov in junior and he thrived with linemate Yakov Trenin. I’ve always compared Sokolov to Trenin. I think this pick will benefit Abramov and look for them to have good chemistry if Sokolov can keep up and he should. He’s a tank

Thanks for the great insight! And I would love to see him and Abramov find some chemistry together, I seem to be one of the rare Sens fans that think hes going to be a good player for us. They could be the top line there if we see Norris, Batherson and Brown all graduate to the NHL.

The Sens might have found another overaged gem for themselves, something they seem to have a knack for doing.

Zack Smith
Mike Hoffman
Drake Batherson
Christian Wolanin
Erik Condra
Joey Daccord
Mark Borowiecki
Chris wideman

Were all taken as overaged players at the draft, and have all played in the NHL for the Sens at this point in time, and were all typically taken in the later rounds (4th and later), which is fairly impressive.

But based on the comments I'm reading in here, Sokolov was absolutely worth the 2nd they just spent on him. Very, very intriguing skillset he has going for himself.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
First time in 13 years the Sens draft a Russian player. Think about that.

The Melnyk (Ukrainian/Canadian) self imposed ban on Russian players seemed to get lifted sometime in the last few seasons.

Since then they've acquired Vitaly Abramov, Nikita Zaitsev, Vlad Namesnikov, and just recently signed FA Artyum Zub out of the KHL. And now they've drafted Sokolov.

It feels like its raining Russians in the capital now! Glad to see as a Sens fan.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
If he continues to improve his skating he could be a solid middle six winger for them.

He's excellent at protecting the puck, has a very good shot and soft hands for a big man.

Skating has a long way to go still, although he did certainly improve quite a bit from last year.

I do believe he has second line potential but he's most definitely still a project.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
The Melnyk (Ukrainian/Canadian) self imposed ban on Russian players seemed to get lifted sometime in the last few seasons.

Since then they've acquired Vitaly Abramov, Nikita Zaitsev, Vlad Namesnikov, and just recently signed FA Artyum Zub out of the KHL. And now they've drafted Sokolov.

It feels like its raining Russians in the capital now! Glad to see as a Sens fan.
Traded for Filatov, signed Gonchar and Kovalev. Sens don't mind Russian players but very true that we typically don't DRAFT Russians.

Love me this Sokolov pick though! Lots of skill and a good kid.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
To be loaned he needs to sign ELC with the Senators first and unless I'm missing something it hasn't happened yet. His KHL rights belong to Avtomobilist, btw.
Few years ago he didn't want to play for Avtomobilist and wanted to play for Traktor, but teams were not able to have an agreement. Things could change, but it is interesting where he will play in case of loan. As a Traktor fan, I'd better see him there, but it could be better for his development to play in one team with Datsyuk and to be coached by Bill Peters

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Wont players need to start making arrangements pretty soon in order to be ready for camp anyways? Especially if the Sens get an extended camp.

He's not making the NHL roster this season, best to get him play somewhere for a bit as the AHL season is up in the air.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He's not making the NHL roster this season, best to get him play somewhere for a bit as the AHL season is up in the air.

They'll still want him at camp, but sure, certainly no harm in making arrangements for afterward.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
They'll still want him at camp, but sure, certainly no harm in making arrangements for afterward.

He should have been loaned out months ago as there has been uncertainty of hockey in NA for some time. Regular season in Russia/Europe usually finishes around February, he won't have much of a season at all if loaned after camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad