F Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022 Draft) Part 2

WetWholphin

Sep 4, 2021
https://hfboards.mandatory.com
It’s not close to the end of the world if he doesn’t go 1st overall. In fact, I’d much rather see him developed somewhere other than Arizona.

The offensive production (or lack thereof) is nothing short of shocking but teenage players don’t simply decline like some are implying. Anyone who watched Wright play throughout his career to this point knows he has the highest franchise centre potential of anyone since Matthews. Regardless of the reasons for his current play, whether it’s an injury or anything else none of us could know, that doesn’t just disappear.

i agree that skill doesnt simply leave you overnight. the hockey IQ he has displayed also doesnt simply go away. there are a myriad of things that could be going on in his life that none of us are privy to. i think it is certainly fair for some people to have other prospects rising above him as of now, but there is no scenario to me that would see him dropping out of the top 5. unless something severe is going on off ice that teams figure out over the course of the year, i cant see him dropping very far down the ranks.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It’s not close to the end of the world if he doesn’t go 1st overall. In fact, I’d much rather see him developed somewhere other than Arizona.

The offensive production (or lack thereof) is nothing short of shocking but teenage players don’t simply decline like some are implying. Anyone who watched Wright play throughout his career to this point knows he has the highest franchise centre potential of anyone since Matthews. Regardless of the reasons for his current play, whether it’s an injury or anything else none of us could know, that doesn’t just disappear.
Angelo Esposito declined pretty harshly, even before the knee injuries. So, it happens, its just a very rare occurance.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Yurov? IDK. Dude has 2 points 40 KHL games. Michkov already has 5 in 12 KHL games.
Playing in the KHL at the age of 17 is already a strong accomplishment. Mickhov is an exceptional talent that is barely playing 5 mins a game right now. Amirov had 2 apples in 20 games in his draft year. Podkolzin played a total of 3 games.

Finally, Yurov was producing at a 2 PPG pace in the MHL, the Russian junior league, a much higher pace than kids like Amirov or Podkolzin in their draft year.

To make a long story short, you cant really rely on stats when it comes to young players fighting for ice time in the 2nd best men hockey league in the world.

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I think people don't know how good is Shane Wright. Hockey isn't just "points".

Shane Wright is the 1st overall of this draft and he got all tools to become a elite C at NHL level.

That would be a "Stanley Cup" for Habs to draft a player like Shane Wright... with Nick Suzuki, Ryan Poehling, Jake Evans and Christian Dvorak, we are going to be really good at C for long time.​

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Is it possible that Wright is being specifically advised to work on the smaller details of his game, which is the reason for his lower stats?

Dylan Strome had the most insane stats in the OHL his whole time there, but you fast forward and he has tons of holes in his 200 ft game. Wright’s offensive skill set is well known and he already possesses an NHL shot. Maybe he’s specially focusing on his 200 ft game rather than just putting up insane point totals

Reactions: Dnallew

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Is it possible that Wright is being specifically advised to work on the smaller details of his game, which is the reason for his lower stats?

Dylan Strome had the most insane stats in the OHL his whole time there, but you fast forward and he has tons of holes in his 200 ft game. Wright’s offensive skill set is well known and he already possesses an NHL shot. Maybe he’s specially focusing on his 200 ft game rather than just putting up insane point totals

Wright's strenght has always been his 200 ft game though. I doubt coaches are telling him to forgo offense to work on aspects of his game that are already very developed for his age.

I think he's just a early developer. His floor is absurdly high, but I'm starting to question just how high his ceiling is.
Maybe he's the next Toews?

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Wright's strenght has always been his 200 ft game though. I doubt coaches are telling him to forgo offense to work on aspects of his game that are already very developed for his age.

I think he's just a early developer. His floor is absurdly high, but I'm starting to question just how high his ceiling is.

He hasn't been moving his feet enough this year. Still, he started slow two years ago as well. Got 3 points tonight and has crept his way up to 15th in league scoring from 35th not too long ago. Trending up which will annoy some. Lol.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Yep. Ive been saying all year that it’s his floor I love. The way he looks on the ice physically and how he moves around reminds me of a mix of John Tavares and Bo Horvat. I know that’s hard to visualize but it makes sense to me. Tavares is the most boring superstar of this generation. Bo is another high quality 200ft, leader/captain type, who isn’t a burner and relies on smarts and his shot. I feel like whatever a mixture/midpoint is between those two, is Shane Wright. Or something similar to that anyway.

Many people will think that’s an insult. Like that’s a low expectation. But I’ve been following the NHL draft with great interest since 1996. And I happen to know that getting a player like that even at 1st overall would be tremendous value.

Bo Horvat’s per 82 is 23g 29a 52pts. John Tavares is 35g 43a 78pts. If Shane Wright is smack dab in the middle of these two players (I really think his game is basically a hybrid of these two in my mind) that makes him about 29g 36a 65pts type of center. I think that comes with being potentially one of the league’s top captains and potentially Selke nominations on top of that. I think that’s a pretty realistic expectation for Wright, honestly.

FYI- Patrice Bergeron’ career per 82 is 27g 39a 66pts. So that would be almost exactly the range I’m talking about. And if you went with a lower-end production projection for Wright, say the mid-point between Horvat and Bergeron, that’s a 25g 35a 60pts elite 2way C, with all the intangibles.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Another 3 points and 1st star. That's 8 points this weekend. Up to 12th in league scoring in his last game before the WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad