F Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022 Draft) Part 2

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
Bruh...did Sean Day or Joe Veleno captain Team Canada U18 to a gold just six months prior to the WJC? And when doing so, post McDavid-esque stats? Yeah, I didn't think so.

I stand by my original post.

Last edited:

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
His production shouldn't be predicated on having higher-end linemates. A player of his supposed calibre should be able to produce reasonably high numbers with mere average players around him. As has been stated, it's not like Chromiak, Edmonds, Frasca, Arcuri are talentless pluggers.

If his scoring escallates only when Wisdom returns, it's still a red flag. That's if he isn't playing with an injury that is seriously affecting his game, which I'm more and more inclined to be the case.
He looks considerably slower than he did two years ago, which is strange to say the least. I feel like there is more to this story as the scouts were fully justified in having him as a clear cut favorite for number 1 overall. As someone who watched him most games two years ago (and this year), it was quite evident he was an NHL superstar in the making. Watching him this year, while he still does many subtle great plays, he does not look nearly the star he did two years ago and the biggest thing I notice is the skating.

Note that his wingers have not been Frasca and Arcuri nor really Edmonds. That is a separate line that has clicked well. It has been Chromiak and mostly a mix of Soto/Ludwinski (mostly Soto). Chromiak hasn't looked amazing either and Soto is 16. If it doesn't pick up once Wisdom is back at full strength then something is really going on. He's too good of player to struggle this much without something else going on.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
He looks considerably slower than he did two years ago, which is strange to say the least. I feel like there is more to this story as the scouts were fully justified in having him as a clear cut favorite for number 1 overall. As someone who watched him most games two years ago (and this year), it was quite evident he was an NHL superstar in the making. Watching him this year, while he still does many subtle great plays, he does not look nearly the star he did two years ago and the biggest thing I notice is the skating.

Note that his wingers have not been Frasca and Arcuri nor really Edmonds. That is a separate line that has clicked well. It has been Chromiak and mostly a mix of Soto/Ludwinski (mostly Soto). Chromiak hasn't looked amazing either and Soto is 16. If it doesn't pick up once Wisdom is back at full strength then something is really going on. He's too good of player to struggle this much without something else going on.
Remember, he is still a kid. Who knows if the pandemic circumstances lead him to be more forgetful about hockey? A kid that was always driven by his parents, aiming to be the #1 pick. Maybe he took a break and just let himself go, playing fortnite or whatever.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would at least make sure you know who Wright's linemates are before ripping him. He plays with Chromiak and largely Soto (a 16 year old underage rookie). I would agree he doesn't look like himself especially in the speed category but there is a reason he is projected 1st overall, got exemption status at 15 and had better numbers than McDavid that year. My feeling is he has some sort of nagging injury that he is playing through that is slowing him down (just my guess, no inside knowledge). Regardless, he is still showing elite vision, shooting, and plays both ends of the ice. Expect his numbers to rise shortly when he gets his key linemate back (I'm sure your calculations didn't adjust for a disruption of wingers, nor the weight of the world on his shoulders).
I stand by this, yes, his numbers were better than McDavid's in a vacuum at 15. But, when you actually look at how inflated scoring was among top players in the OHL East in 2019-20, it's a bit misleading. Nick Robertson who is a nice prospect scored goals at pretty much a historic rate for an 18 year old. Rossi put up a ridiculous 2.14 (the highest draft year ppg outside of McDavid and Kane over the past 15 years). In McDavid's 15 year old season there were 8 players over 1.5 points per game, in Wright's there were 15, with only one player over 1.8 points per game who was a returning 3rd overall pick only their due to an NHL lockout for the first half of the season.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He doesnt move his feet much and lacks pace. Skating is average by junior level standarts.
After seeing how much Lafreniere has struggled in the NHL, gotta wonder if teams will start to look into Wright a lot more and how he might translate into the NHL.

Hypothetically speaking, if he continues his current pace, how long until other players are getting talked about being the potential number 1 pick?

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
After seeing how much Lafreniere has struggled in the NHL, gotta wonder if teams will start to look into Wright a lot more and how he might translate into the NHL.

Hypothetically speaking, if he continues his current pace, how long until other players are getting talked about being the potential number 1 pick?
If Savoie keeps his game up, not long. He's been there with him since before both their CHL careers.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I stand by this, yes, his numbers were better than McDavid's in a vacuum at 15. But, when you actually look at how inflated scoring was among top players in the OHL East in 2019-20, it's a bit misleading. Nick Robertson who is a nice prospect scored goals at pretty much a historic rate for an 18 year old. Rossi put up a ridiculous 2.14 (the highest draft year ppg outside of McDavid and Kane over the past 15 years). In McDavid's 15 year old season there were 8 players over 1.5 points per game, in Wright's there were 15, with only one player over 1.8 points per game who was a returning 3rd overall pick only their due to an NHL lockout for the first half of the season.
Who cares who the top scorer was? Vincent Trochek was the leading scorer when McDavid played. Doesn't mean McDavid isn't that good. The fact is Wright was 12th in goals as a 15th year old. 12th! McDavid 43rd. In terms of points, Wright was 40th and McDavid was 31st. They both had rediculous seasons as 15 year olds, which is why Wright came into this season viewed as an NHL superstar, and rightfully so. He also is a complete player who doesn't just put up points. What is going on this season still needs to be played out but it is definitely puzzling so far.

Last edited:

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Remember, he is still a kid. Who knows if the pandemic circumstances lead him to be more forgetful about hockey? A kid that was always driven by his parents, aiming to be the #1 pick. Maybe he took a break and just let himself go, playing fortnite or whatever.
True. Though that would be quite surprising given how competitive he is and how close he is to the NHL. I'm sure one way another we'll eventually find out.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

I think people have to remember during the pandemic in the GTA gyms were closed for something 14 of 16 months. If he spent most of that time with his family (from burlington) then he wouldn't have been able to work out for about a year. Perhaps he's simply out of shape.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
I think people have to remember during the pandemic in the GTA gyms were closed for something 14 of 16 months. If he spent most of that time with his family (from burlington) then he wouldn't have been able to work out for about a year. Perhaps he's simply out of shape.
Yes, anything is possible. It's not like i know exactly what i'm talking about. It was just an assumption on my part, an educated guess. It's my most likely scenario, because his drop-off is unexplainable if you think about it.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, anything is possible. It's not like i know exactly what i'm talking about. It was just an assumption on my part, an educated guess. It's my most likely scenario, because his drop-off is unexplainable if you think about it.

I largely agree with you, I was hoping to provide some context for non-ontarians.

My scenario is similar in idea to yours just a different reason. He may have spent the pandemic with his family meaning no training for a year, may take a while to get back into form truly.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I largely agree with you, I was hoping to provide some context for non-ontarians.

My scenario is similar in idea to yours just a different reason. He may have spent the pandemic with his family meaning no training for a year, may take a while to get back into form truly.
He was at Canada's extended WJC camp, and then the U-18 camp and tournament. So at a minimum, he had training/ice at those. And, a kid with his pedigree through his agents would have opportunities for things that aren't available to the general public.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

It should already be happening.

Reactions: Ippenator

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
I still don't understand, how he couldn't find a team to play for in US or Europe?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

I already have Jiricek solidly ranked 1st OV. I have Wright, Yurov and Kemell in the 2nd category.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Uh, you can work out without a gym... You can do entire workout programs with just a floor and a wall, for every muscle group.

No excuses.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
Uh, you can work out without a gym... You can do entire workout programs with just a floor and a wall, for every muscle group.

No excuses.

Lots of high end players from the OHL invested in home gyms, Pelotons, etc. When gyms were closed they continued to workout at home, did conditioning work outside, etc.

I know plenty of players that used the time to get bigger, stronger, faster.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
It’s not close to the end of the world if he doesn’t go 1st overall. In fact, I’d much rather see him developed somewhere other than Arizona.

The offensive production (or lack thereof) is nothing short of shocking but teenage players don’t simply decline like some are implying. Anyone who watched Wright play throughout his career to this point knows he has the highest franchise centre potential of anyone since Matthews. Regardless of the reasons for his current play, whether it’s an injury or anything else none of us could know, that doesn’t just disappear.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
There's a lot of factors that could be why he's slumping, but in all honesty we don't know the answer, and maybe he doesn't even know. This is a 17 year old who missed a season of hockey because of a global pandemic, and was also injured over the summer. The majority of the leading scorers in the OHL are either drafted by an NHL team already, or have been draft eligible, so he is still among the top for his age. I have faith he will pop off at some point soon, and won't look back.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

There were many gyms open during that time, you just had to know what to look for. Physiotherapy was still allowed most of the time, and funny enough, many smaller private gyms had Physiotherapists on staff, prescribing workouts for "rehab". Those with insurance, didn't even have to pay for it.

Reactions: 03HockeyFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad