F Rutger McGroarty - University of Michigan, NCAA (2022, 14th, WPG)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He’s only played winger at the NTDP, but I’ve seen him play center on some PK shifts. There are way too many centers for all of them to play center.

Cooley, McGroarty, Gauthier, Stramel, Snuggerud, Nazar, Spicer, Berard are all guys I think have a chance to play center in the pro game. I think they all project as centers, besides Nazar and Berard. I think Spicer could go either way. Fleming was also a natural center before he left. Lines change all the time, but he’s played a lot with Cooley.
Thanks! I usually see the lines listed like this:

McGroarty-Cooley-XXX
XXXXX-Nazar-XXXXX
XXXXX-Gauthier-XXXX

^ is that usually how it is 5v5?

(I can only go off of the info graphics the team posts on Twitter - lol)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thanks! I usually see the lines listed like this:

McGroarty-Cooley-XXX
XXXXX-Nazar-XXXXX
XXXXX-Gauthier-XXXX

^ is that usually how it is 5v5?

(I can only go off of the info graphics the team posts on Twitter - lol)

Recently, yes.

The variables are that Stramel has been injured all season, I'm not convinced the best defensive center Snuggerud will play wing all season, and Gauthier as third line on this team is a mis-use of his talent.

This is only my take, but of the 12 current players when everyone is healthy, this would be my alignment.

McGroarty-Gauthier-Nazar
Howard-Stramel-Cooley
Kaplan-Snuggerud-Lucius
Berard-Spicer-Hejduk

Reactions: Herb Brooksie

Herb Brooksie

Nov 20, 2021
Recently, yes.

The variables are that Stramel has been injured all season, I'm not convinced the best defensive center Snuggerud will play wing all season, and Gauthier as third line on this team is a mis-use of his talent.

This is only my take, but of the 12 current players when everyone is healthy, this would be my alignment.

McGroarty-Gauthier-Nazar
Howard-Stramel-Cooley
Kaplan-Snuggerud-Lucius
Berard-Spicer-Hejduk
Love that size up the middle. This might be the biggest squad up front in recent memory and that must be the reason why the same can be said for lack of size on the back end LOL

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Reactions: Herb Brooksie

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Love that size up the middle. This might be the biggest squad up front in recent memory and that must be the reason why the same can be said for lack of size on the back end LOL

I have to say that I’m a little worried about how some of these smaller players games translate to higher levels. There’s about 4-5 of them projected as first rounders. I feel like a number of the bigger players on this team are completely underrated.

Herb Brooksie

Nov 20, 2021
I have to say that I’m a little worried about how some of these smaller players games translate to higher levels. There’s about 4-5 of them projected as first rounders. I feel like a number of the bigger players on this team are completely underrated.

Absolutely. There are some hidden gems on this team like Spicer, Kaplan, Lucius and Hejduk. Some of the D seem to be growing based on the janky hockeytv views but none have gotten over 5’10” from what I can tell.

Herb Brooksie

Nov 20, 2021
Also the games today and tomorrow at 3 appear to have free feeds based on an article on their website. Today we are up against Boston and I hope Commesso starts again after a solid game last night.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I irrationally back in his offensive potential. One of the most clinical prospects I can remember when there's a scoring chance. Usually they go in at the same rate for just about anyone, but it seems like he punishes defenses at a higher rate than other players. I have no statistical data to back that up other than he puts up a lot of points, but his passing and shooting is so accurate. You rarely ever see him mess up a grade A chance. I watch him play, see a scoring chance that Rutger is part of, think this is going to be a goal, and then on command the puck is in the net a few seconds later. Almost without fail. He's not that involved in a game other than when he's part of a scoring chance, but can you argue with the numbers he puts up? I don't agree either with anyone who claims he's a bad skater. He's not a good skater, but his skating is not bad.

Go ahead and tear apart my opinion. I'm backing McGroarty as a future star in the NHL.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I irrationally back in his offensive potential. One of the most clinical prospects I can remember when there's a scoring chance. Usually they go in at the same rate for just about anyone, but it seems like he punishes defenses at a higher rate than other players. I have no statistical data to back that up other than he puts up a lot of points, but his passing and shooting is so accurate. You rarely ever see him mess up a grade A chance. I watch him play, see a scoring chance that Rutger is part of, think this is going to be a goal, and then on command the puck is in the net a few seconds later. Almost without fail. He's not that involved in a game other than when he's part of a scoring chance, but can you argue with the numbers he puts up? I don't agree either with anyone who claims he's a bad skater. He's not a good skater, but his skating is not bad.

Go ahead and tear apart my opinion. I'm backing McGroarty as a future star in the NHL.

Dude, right? Clinical is a good descriptor, he's like a hockey Haaland out there at times. His hands and instincts around the net are ridiculously good, and I think his frame will allow that aspect of his game to translate really well to higher levels. Couple that with his vision and excellent shot and I think he'll produce a lot of offense, especially on the powerplay and controlled 5v5 possession on the cycle.

The skating isn't an asset, but it really doesn't seem to prevent him from doing what he's good at. Sure he's not flying through the neutral zone, but his hands and puck protection allow him to transport the puck reasonably well.

I don't have a rigid numeric ranking right now, I haven't been able to see quite as much of the draft eligibles as I'd like. But McGroarty has been my highest rated winger in this class for a while, and his play this year is only reinforcing that opinion.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Thrown out for cross checking, looked like he was sticking up for Cooley who got taken down. Personally didn’t think it was that bad especially with them wearing cages. Could get a game or 2 with these shitty international rules.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He is a tough kid, stands up for his teammates and is obviously a leader with some skill. I would be happy if he turned into anything like a David Backes who had a number of really good years offensively. Inside the top 10 would be very surprising for me but would love to see him get there!

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He is a tough kid, stands up for his teammates and is obviously a leader with some skill. I would be happy if he turned into anything like a David Backes who had a number of really good years offensively. Inside the top 10 would be very surprising for me but would love to see him get there!
Really dig the Backes comp - he was a regular for 30 goals in his St. Louis days along with 100+ PIM, the captain and leader in the room and just an all-around stand up teammate. McGroarty can obviously score goals and displays that same on-ice stand-up for your teammates mentality and everything you hear about him off the ice is that he's got just a preternatural ability to be a leader.

He may not be eloquent out there and he may need to ride shotgun to a playmaker to maximize his skill set but he sure has the feel of a guy you want on a winning team. If I think I'm getting David Backes, I'm taking that in the 10-15 range of this draft all freaking day long and being pretty thrilled.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He reminds me more of Draisaitl. I know that’s lofty, but the elite passing/shooting tool is that of Draisaitl.

Reactions: Torts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad