F Rutger McGroarty - University of Michigan, NCAA (2022, 14th, WPG)

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
John McFarland and Shane McColgan were the best 15 year olds in North America at that age. Things change - believe me
In no way am I opposed to things changing. For every lights out 15/16 year old a la Jack Eichel/Jack Hughes, there's a Sean Day/Shane McColgan (great response btw, haven't seen that name in years). I am just of the belief he's closer to the non-bust group than the bust group

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
In no way am I opposed to things changing. For every lights out 15/16 year old a la Jack Eichel/Jack Eichel, there's a Sean Day/Shane McColgan (great response btw, haven't seen that name in years). I am just of the belief he's closer to the non-bust group than the bust group

Fair enough. I personally believe its too early to make any bold predictions. But at 15 it is okay to start identifying players.

Reactions: flamebird

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
29 games played- 41 goals, 39 assists- 80 pts. Such an unfortunate year for Michigan to implement the new rule and not allow him to move up to 16s.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've seen some question his skating.

I can agree that he doesn't have great speed. Most players who get picked in the top 5-10 spots will skate better than him. However, does he skate any worse than Lafreniere? Lafreniere will go 1OA this year. The player McGroarty reminds me of is Tavares. His stick skills and deception with the puck are very impressive, and he can make all the plays needed to put up a lot of points. He also has an elite hockey IQ with a good motor and size. Other than elite speed, he has all the makings of a top flight center prospect.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
His skating concerns seem to be overblown and more a byproduct of the desire to turn everything into an oversimplified binary where if you don't skate like McDavid, Eichel, MacKinnon, etc. then you're a "bad" skater. His skating isn't great but it's not awful either. If I was advising/coaching him, I'd certainly make it a focus because any improvements there would only accentuate his high-end tools. I don't think ranking 15 year old players is meaningful and while I've liked Fleming and Nazar more (on admittedly small sample sizes), I think McGroarty is in the same tier as them as far as best American '04 forwards and could easily turn out better.

Stylistically I see a lot of Jamie Benn in his game, the high IQ, the way he protects and shields the puck with his body, and the dangerous shot, heavy shot.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I'm going to be following and rooting for this kid simply because his name is brilliant!

It sounds like something a random name generator would come up with for a video game character. I love it.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I really want the Canucks to draft this kid.

Brogan Rafferty and Rutger McGroarty out on the ice together would be loads of fun for commentators.

Reactions: Debrincat93

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Through five preseason games, he's leading the NTDP 17's in points by four already. And these aren't unimportant secondary assists. Yesterday, he set up two tap ins.

Maybe he doesn't end up leading the team in points when the real games start. It's only preseason and stats can be fluky in preseason. An example of this might be that unheralded defenseman Ryan Chesley is tied for second with Fleming in points so far, but McGroarty was viewed as the highest rated player in this age group coming into the season and he has 13 points in 5 preseason games. A good start for him.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Through five preseason games, he's leading the NTDP 17's in points by four already. And these aren't unimportant secondary assists. Yesterday, he set up two tap ins.

Maybe he doesn't end up leading the team in points when the real games start. It's only preseason and stats can be fluky in preseason. An example of this might be that unheralded defenseman Ryan Chesley is tied for second with Fleming in points so far, but McGroarty was viewed as the highest rated player in this age group coming into the season and he has 13 points in 5 preseason games. A good start for him.

Why are you calling these preseason games?????
they are not

Are they always counting the preseason games to the actual USNTDP point totals??

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Is he currently the best USA prospect in the 2022 Draft?

I have Jack Devine, Seamus Casey, Maddox Fleming, Isaac Howard, Jack Hughes, and Frank Nazar as the other top names. All have gone the USNTDP route. I’d put McGroarty at the top right now but it’s not a sizable gap.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is only my opinion, but probably. It’s a little bunched right now. There are a lot of really talented American draft eligibles.

Between McGroarty, Casey, Chesley, Fleming, Nazar, even Howard, I think you could get like 5-6 different answers and you couldn’t say someone is wrong at this point. Maybe someone will separate between now and the draft.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
This is only my opinion, but probably. It’s a little bunched right now. There are a lot of really talented American draft eligibles.

Between McGroarty, Casey, Chesley, Fleming, Nazar, even Howard, I think you could get like 5-6 different answers and you couldn’t say someone is wrong at this point. Maybe someone will separate between now and the draft.
Agreed and I think Logan Cooley is very impressive as well and belongs with those names. Looks very good so far centering the Mcgroarty Lucius line.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Promoted to the U18’s and immediately thrown on the top line. Pretty impressive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad