F Rodion Amirov (2020, 15th, TOR) - tragically passed away due to brain tumor 8/14/23

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Rodion Amirov passes away at the age of 21? Very sad and shocking! Condolences to his family and friends...sometimes Life doesn't make any sense

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Just lost my 29 year old college roommate after an epic 4 year battle with cancer presenting as a glioblastoma with many positive and negative check-ins. I don’t mean to be pessimistic, but at this point, this is probably a situation in which we should all be cheering for Rodion to be able to experience a fulfilling life rather than returning to the rink as an elite nhl/khl prospect.
Sadly prophetic post. The loss of this young man underscores what is truly important in life. I grieve for Rodion’s parents who have the unendurable pain of seeing their young son pass away. As some have previously said: life is unfair.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Really sad, cancer is the worst :/ Losing someone close to you at any age is gut wrenching, but losing someone at just 21, so young. Can't imagine the pain his family is feeling right now.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So sad to hear of the news - my thoughts go out to his friends and family.

Also passing my condolences to the Leafs organization and their fans.

Reactions: BMann
Mar 12, 2009
RIP. Recently suffered the loss of a sibling to the same. It's a horrible thing. Whatever there is after this life, I hope the young guy has found peace or at least an end to the suffering.

Reactions: BMann and hn777
Mar 12, 2009
Happened to my next door neighbor from my first year in res. He beat it once in his mid-20's and passed away in his early 30's. A truly horrific disease.

RIP Rodion.
Hard to explain just how badly it affects everyone (obviously the sick person the most). I feel for his whole family, but have a better idea of how it may effect his siblings from personal experience. The shocking thing about these situations is how things can go from seemingly improving or at least stabilizing for a time that feels optimistic, only to see thing start to slide and then it drops off a cliff with how fast the decline is once things start to deteriorate

RIP Rodion.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lost my sibling to the same thing last month, not even 30. It is a horrible thing to deal with. That's with "successful" surgery and treatments. Hard to explain just how badly it affects everyone (obviously the sick person the most). I feel for his whole family, but have a better idea of how it may effect his siblings from personal experience.

RIP Rodion.
My condolences. It's a very horrific and aggressive disease as it attacks what controls a persons personality. Having watched from the sidelines of what happened to my friend, I can't imagine it as a family member outside what they and his long-term girlfriend have expressed to me.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I'm sure Dan Milstein meant well when he wrote the e-mail about Rodion, but I'm a bit baffled by the very common tendency by people to praise those with cancer for having a "positive attitude." It's a weird thing to say, in my opinion. Seems to imply that people with cancer have an obligation of relieving others of having to perform the mental labour of basic sympathy.

Reactions: Hey Dougie

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Awful stuff. f*** cancer. Hope his loved ones find a way to heal.

I'm sure Dan Milstein meant well when he wrote the e-mail about Rodion, but I'm a bit baffled by the very common tendency by people to praise those with cancer for having a "positive attitude." It's a weird thing to say, in my opinion. Seems to imply that people with cancer have an obligation of relieving others of having to perform the mental labour of basic sympathy.
Certainly not an obligation. I think it's more that it's impressive to see someone maintain a positive attitude under such dire circumstances when it's far easier and wholly understandable to be terrified and depressed. Granted I don't know what Milstein actually said as I respond but as to your point, I personally find it remarkable that anyone could be positive in such circumstances. I don't think I could be.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Awful stuff. f*** cancer. Hope his loved ones find a way to heal.

Certainly not an obligation. I think it's more that it's impressive to see someone maintain a positive attitude under such dire circumstances when it's far easier and wholly understandable to be terrified and depressed. Granted I don't know what Milstein actually said as I respond but as to your point, I personally find it remarkable that anyone could be positive in such circumstances. I don't think I could be.

I'd be an absolute freaking bastard.

Rodion was such a beautiful guy. I feel wrecked by this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad