Confirmed with Link: F Patrick Newell signs with the Rangers

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Johnny Gaudreau is listed at 5'9 165 lbs. Barzal can't be much bigger. Just saying--if the talent is there and the player can play in traffic that's what's really important and I guess we're going to find out. Hirose who Detroit signed is a small guy too. Newell was pretty well regarded. Nico Sturm and Jimmy Schuldt were the ones I'd have been most interested in though. We'll see where they end up. But I don't have a problem with this signing--it might work out really well.

While we’re at it MSL, Pavel Bure, Dionne, Gilbert, Theo Fleury were 5”10 or less — all incredibly successful. And that Zuccarello guy wasn’t terrible either.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
155lbs?

Jesus Christ I’m so fat.

Depends on the body type. Bure was 5”10 and 190lbs — lean and mean. Havlat was 6”2 and 188lbs, and he had a pretty great career, until injuries caught up to him. There is no magical height/weight ratio.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He outproduced Wahlstrom his freshman year in the NCAA ;)

Luzc.gif

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
These guys are all lottery tickets anyways so I wouldn't get too bogged down in the details. We're not short on open contract slots and these guys have about a 5% shot at being something.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
While we’re at it MSL, Pavel Bure, Dionne, Gilbert, Theo Fleury were 5”10 or less — all incredibly successful. And that Zuccarello guy wasn’t terrible either.
With all due respect, the odds of him being one of those players are almost non-existent. Just because some things have happened, does not mean that the odds of them happening again are great.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
With all due respect, the odds of him being one of those players are almost non-existent. Just because some things have happened, does not mean that the odds of them happening again are great.

Agreed, and I’m not betting on them happening, just like I wouldn’t bet on a random defenseman over 6”6 being the next Chara (you’re lucky if he becomes the next Sustr). I don’t expect anything from this kid specifically — but not because he might be “undersized.” That’s my point.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agreed, and I’m not betting on them happening, just like I wouldn’t bet on a random defenseman over 6”6 being the next Chara (you’re lucky if he becomes the next Sustr). I don’t expect anything from this kid specifically — but not because he might be “undersized.” That’s my point.
Ahh. Got it. Crystal.

Reactions: CasusBelli

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
With regards to being a late bloomer--he posted 20+ assists his final three seasons. The difference was that this year he scored a bunch more goals, and that's probably due to the fact that he fired 124 SOG this year after being in the 55 range in year's past. He wouldn't be the first guy to take a big step forward by shooting the puck significantly more.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
With regards to being a late bloomer--he posted 20+ assists his final three seasons. The difference was that this year he scored a bunch more goals, and that's probably due to the fact that he fired 124 SOG this year after being in the 55 range in year's past. He wouldn't be the first guy to take a big step forward by shooting the puck significantly more.

Californian kid, maybe I am uneducated, but it could be that he was a bit under coached/trained and needed a bit more time?

Reactions: egelband

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That weight is pretty standard for someone who’s that height and in shape, but not bulked up. Not sure that’s ok for someone in the NHL, though, unless they’re supremely skilled.

Worth taking a flyer, as always.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Californian kid, maybe I am uneducated, but it could be that he was a bit under coached/trained and needed a bit more time?
I suppose it's possible he was rough around the edges, but he did spend a couple years in the USHL/NAHL and a year in the BCHL. And St. Cloud State is a top program. So, who knows really. He definitely changed his approach, whatever caused it.

Reactions: Ola

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad