Confirmed with Link: F Patrick Newell signs with the Rangers

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I suppose it's possible he was rough around the edges, but he did spend a couple years in the USHL/NAHL and a year in the BCHL. And St. Cloud State is a top program. So, who knows really. He definitely changed his approach, whatever caused it.

So many players put it together later in their careers. I know nothing of this kid, but it will be exciting to follow hom starting in rookie camp and then Traverse.

Also, you need to be able to skate fast. Weight and size are total none factors when you aren’t involved in physical battles. It doesn’t matter if you are 140 or 150 or 170, you won’t win many physical battles against NHL Ds anyway. For these smaller guys weight is an indication that they are fit and can move well, not handle the physical play.

I think there is little or none correlation between size and injuries. Does smaller guys have more injury problems than bigger guys? I would think it’s the other way around. The Lindros bros, Sauer and the likes, they get injury problems. Not guys like Zucc or Johnny H.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
The one thing that makes me not hold my breath is his age. Leading scorer but at the age of 23? Meh. We'll see at Traverse if there's anything worth getting hyped about.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
California, Texas, Arizona, North Carolina, Florida are all places that have been putting out players for a while. Having the facilities and the coaching will make that happen and the NHL being around in these places for a while has developed these programs.

Reactions: Ola

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Some guys have found success, but the Hobey Baker is a largely the kiss of death at the NHL level.
I feel like it leans towards kids who end up staying longer (Vesey probably shouldn’t have won it with the seasons some of the younger kids had that year), but the really good prospects tend to leave after a season or two

Reactions: Machinehead

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Granted that Hayes as a 1st round pick and is huge, while Newell was undrafted and is small...

...but Hayes also had a huge production spike in his senior year in college.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers have a habit of getting NHL players out of this sort of path. (Undrafted/college/both)

Granted, most of them (Girardi, Pionk, Vesey) put me in therapy, but I digress.

Reactions: egelband

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm kind of wondering whether Newell goes to Hartford or stays up with the big team.

He can’t even play any games with the big club.

Wouldn’t be surprised at a Hartford ATO for a couple of games, though if that was happening I’m not sure why they wouldn’t announce it.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Californian kid, maybe I am uneducated, but it could be that he was a bit under coached/trained and needed a bit more time?
Absolutely possible. Though he may have left Cali as a kid. Don't know. Wasn't Leetch born in Texas?

Reactions: Ola

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Absolutely possible. Though he may have left Cali as a kid. Don't know. Wasn't Leetch born in Texas?

Leetch did grow up in CT, but was born in Texas, but it’s a lot more likely for a player to be from the LA area now than it was then.

Plus Newell played for the LA Jr Kings as a 15 year old.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Even if he becomes a good AHL player, it’s a worthwhile contract.

One of these centuries Hartford should make the playoffs. Adding a hungry young kid who still has NHK ambitions can only help.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
One of these centuries Hartford should make the playoffs. Adding a hungry young kid who still has NHK ambitions can only help.
The B-Rangers made the playoffs from 90-97, save one season. Then they became the Pack and made the playoffs every single year from 98-09. They made it in 10-11, 11-12, and 14-15. They really haven't been pathetic until the past four years, and even then they came very close to making it last year.

They obviously need to improve, but they were once one of the better teams in the league each year, and fairly recently.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Main board overreacting to this just like they did Vesey.

We need to rebuild our AHL team. I see this as a step towards that. Right now, nothing more.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Main board overreacting to this just like they did Vesey.

We need to rebuild our AHL team. I see this as a step towards that. Right now, nothing more.

need a new coaching staff if they are serious about rebuilding Wolfpack and getting them deep into the playoffs.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
upload_2019-3-31_19-0-30.gif

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
need a new coaching staff if they are serious about rebuilding Wolfpack and getting them deep into the playoffs.

I don't know what you expect from the coaching staff with the team they have there now. You got three guys playing last night who are right out of college. You have several call ups from the ECHL who from game to game are in the mix. There is no depth and the Rangers have their better players with the exception of Fogarty and maybe Lindgren (who Beacon wasn't very happy with a couple nights ago) and Bigras (arguably Hartford's most reliable defenseman) who has been out injured for at least a month.

Gilmour is their offensive catalyst. Lettieri is their main goal scorer. Then there is Nieves, Hajek, Brickley and Andersson. Put all those players in Hartford and they would win some games.

The problem is the quality of players right now and not the coaching staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad