Confirmed with Link: F Patrick Newell signs with the Rangers

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't know what you expect from the coaching staff with the team they have there now. You got three guys playing last night who are right out of college. You have several call ups from the ECHL who from game to game are in the mix. There is no depth and the Rangers have their better players with the exception of Fogarty and maybe Lindgren (who Beacon wasn't very happy with a couple nights ago) and Bigras (arguably Hartford's most reliable defenseman) who has been out injured for at least a month.

Gilmour is their offensive catalyst. Lettieri is their main goal scorer. Then there is Nieves, Hajek, Brickley and Andersson. Put all those players in Hartford and they would win some games.

The problem is the quality of players right now and not the coaching staff.

Just for the sake of completeness, they did have a stronger roster for the first half of the season without getting splendid results either. But right now nothing should be expected of them, fully agree there.

The big shift was that Gernander couldn’t coach talent. They kept giving Gernander talented teams but the results went south, they felt that the talent didn’t work hard enough so they focused more and more on character and grit from their vets and the results haven’t been good. In terms of resources and budget, Gernander always had high resource rosters, that wherent very good.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just for the sake of completeness, they did have a stronger roster for the first half of the season without getting splendid results either. But right now nothing should be expected of them, fully agree there.

The big shift was that Gernander couldn’t coach talent. They kept giving Gernander talented teams but the results went south, they felt that the talent didn’t work hard enough so they focused more and more on character and grit from their vets and the results haven’t been good. In terms of resources and budget, Gernander always had high resource rosters, that wherent very good.

They have had issues all season long. The goaltending never got settled and Halverson's their main guy in net now and he's spent the bulk of his pro career in the ECHL. He's done alright though. I think losing Bigras to injury has hurt them a lot. The Holland trade has also hurt the team but the reason for that was in part to give Holland a chance at playoffs and I think they expected more out of Raddysh--a younger right handed D. That hurt the offense--bringing up Lettieri and Gilmour has hurt it a lot too.

I think with a deeper teams guys like Howden, Andersson and Chytil might have gone back and forth from the NHL to the AHL team. I also think we've seen good progress from some of the guys we've had in Hartford this year--all in all I think Gettinger has had a pretty good rookie pro year. Meskanen got off to a really good start but he's faded--but with more talent around that might not have happened. Lettieri's improved. Gilmour seems to have a better defensive game. Gropp's made some improvements. Hajek looked great after his recall and I think Lindgren looked pretty good when he was up.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
They have had issues all season long. The goaltending never got settled and Halverson's their main guy in net now and he's spent the bulk of his pro career in the ECHL. He's done alright though. I think losing Bigras to injury has hurt them a lot. The Holland trade has also hurt the team but the reason for that was in part to give Holland a chance at playoffs and I think they expected more out of Raddysh--a younger right handed D. That hurt the offense--bringing up Lettieri and Gilmour has hurt it a lot too.

I think with a deeper teams guys like Howden, Andersson and Chytil might have gone back and forth from the NHL to the AHL team. I also think we've seen good progress from some of the guys we've had in Hartford this year--all in all I think Gettinger has had a pretty good rookie pro year. Meskanen got off to a really good start but he's faded--but with more talent around that might not have happened. Lettieri's improved. Gilmour seems to have a better defensive game. Gropp's made some improvements. Hajek looked great after his recall and I think Lindgren looked pretty good when he was up.
This is an excellent point. Doesn't make any kind of sense allowing "potential future Rangers with significant talent" playing with Hartford "warm bodies". There is no justification for it and literally can "stunt" their growth and attitude.
Otherwise yeah......like you said, maybe Lias, Howden and even Chytil may have been sent down had there been a better atmosphere there for them to progress.
I think by making them stay with Rangers, says a LOT for what they think is going on in Hartford.
Replacing some of these players that have been there for a while with maybe 1% chance to ever see the NHL, is the best thing they can do........signing hungry newbies is a better way to go.
In a perfect world, Hartford would be established as a solid team with a winning culture. Fighg for minutes down there, and EARN a spot with the big club. Winning isn't ALWAYS essential, but development is. If the developmemt is there, winning shouldn't be that far away.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This is an excellent point. Doesn't make any kind of sense allowing "potential future Rangers with significant talent" playing with Hartford "warm bodies". There is no justification for it and literally can "stunt" their growth and attitude.
Otherwise yeah......like you said, maybe Lias, Howden and even Chytil may have been sent down had there been a better atmosphere there for them to progress.
I think by making them stay with Rangers, says a LOT for what they think is going on in Hartford.
Replacing some of these players that have been there for a while with maybe 1% chance to ever see the NHL, is the best thing they can do........signing hungry newbies is a better way to go.
In a perfect world, Hartford would be established as a solid team with a winning culture. Fighg for minutes down there, and EARN a spot with the big club. Winning isn't ALWAYS essential, but development is. If the developmemt is there, winning shouldn't be that far away.

I just think the main issue with our Hartford franchise is that it probably needs better players. Guys that they might have if the Rangers team was deeper they don't have and IMO Chytil, Andersson and Howden have stuggled mightily with the Rangers all year long. Veteran leadership like Holland, Fogarty provide is important too. There need to be players who can lead the team not only off the ice but even more importantly on the ice. Fogarty's pretty much doing that on his own right now and that's not enough. The replacements from the ECHL have added almost no offense. It's a problem. We're kind of in a gray area--where most of our best prospects are not in Hartford and guys who aren't all that ready are up with the Rangers. The Hartford team gets the short end of the stick.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
As I mentioned in another thread, going back to 1990 when they were the Binghamton Rangers, the organization basically made the playoffs every year for two decades. And then they've made three times since 2010 and didn't miss by much last season.

Point is, while the recent past hasn't been kind to our AHL affiliate, I think the NHL franchise understands how to assemble a good AHL team. The execution just hasn't been there.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
As I mentioned in another thread, going back to 1990 when they were the Binghamton Rangers, the organization basically made the playoffs every year for two decades. And then they've made three times since 2010 and didn't miss by much last season.

Point is, while the recent past hasn't been kind to our AHL affiliate, I think the NHL franchise understands how to assemble a good AHL team. The execution just hasn't been there.

To me it's never a bad idea to get a couple of 24 to 28 year old vets who maybe haven't cut it in the NHL but are really good at the AHL. Guys like Holland that can give you a legit piece to work your first line around.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
This ELC could mean that Brass is not going to sign Virta... Shesty, Rykov, Kravtsov & Reunanen all likely coming over for next season though. Time will tell

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This ELC could mean that Brass is not going to sign Virta... Shesty, Rykov, Kravtsov & Reunanen all likely coming over for next season though. Time will tell

I don't think this signing affects Virta's situation. I think Virta will replace Meskanen who I could see going back to Sweden

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I just think the main issue with our Hartford franchise is that it probably needs better players. Guys that they might have if the Rangers team was deeper they don't have and IMO Chytil, Andersson and Howden have stuggled mightily with the Rangers all year long. Veteran leadership like Holland, Fogarty provide is important too. There need to be players who can lead the team not only off the ice but even more importantly on the ice. Fogarty's pretty much doing that on his own right now and that's not enough. The replacements from the ECHL have added almost no offense. It's a problem. We're kind of in a gray area--where most of our best prospects are not in Hartford and guys who aren't all that ready are up with the Rangers. The Hartford team gets the short end of the stick.

As of now Hartford next year likely looks something like this:

1. Vitali Kravtsov (NHL?)
  2. Vinni Lettieri
  3. Matt Bellesky
  4. Steven Fogarty
  5. Ville Meskanen
  6. Ryan Gropp
  7. Gabriel Fontaine
  8. Jake Elmer
  9. Patrick Newell
  10. Sean Day
  11. Timothy Gettinger
  12. Nicholas Jones (AHL contract - ECHL?)
  13. Ty Ronning (ECHL?)
  14. Dawson Leedahl (ECHL?)
  15. Patrik Virta (Will he be signed?)
  1. Yegor Rykov (NHL?)
  2. Ryan Lindgren (NHL?)
  3. Brandon Crawley
  4. Darren Raddysh
  5. Tarmo Reunanen
  6. Joey Keane
  7. Chris Bigras (RFA with a serious concussion - will he return?)
  8. Julius Bergman (going back to Sweden?)
  1. Igor Shestyorkin (NHL?)
  2. Brandon Halverson - (resigned as an RFA?)
  3. Adam Huska
We are going to need one fwd and one defenseman more on NHL contracts playing in Hartford plus a few contributing Vets signed on AHL deals (this is if no trades are made - which there will be). Nico Sturm outta Clarksson University would be a welcome addition to sign soon - with some good potential too.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
As of now Hartford next year likely looks something like this:

1. Vitali Kravtsov (NHL?)
  2. Vinni Lettieri
  3. Matt Bellesky
  4. Steven Fogarty
  5. Ville Meskanen
  6. Ryan Gropp
  7. Gabriel Fontaine
  8. Jake Elmer
  9. Patrick Newell
  10. Sean Day
  11. Timothy Gettinger
  12. Nicholas Jones (AHL contract - ECHL?)
  13. Ty Ronning (ECHL?)
  14. Dawson Leedahl (ECHL?)
  15. Patrik Virta (Will he be signed?)
  1. Yegor Rykov (NHL?)
  2. Ryan Lindgren (NHL?)
  3. Brandon Crawley
  4. Darren Raddysh
  5. Tarmo Reunanen
  6. Joey Keane
  7. Chris Bigras (RFA with a serious concussion - will he return?)
  8. Julius Bergman (going back to Sweden?)
  1. Igor Shestyorkin (NHL?)
  2. Brandon Halverson - (resigned as an RFA?)
  3. Adam Huska
We are going to need one fwd and one defenseman more on NHL contracts playing in Hartford plus a few contributing Vets signed on AHL deals (this is if no trades are made - which there will be). Nico Sturm outta Clarksson University would be a welcome addition to sign soon - with some good potential too.

I would be very pleased if we signed Sturm. I'm thinking Lias might spend some time with the Pack next year too. It will be interesting to see what some of the new guys can do. There seemed to be some buzz around both Elmer and Newell when we signed them. If Reunanen, Rykov, Shestyorkin and Kravtsov all come over that's a lot of talent too. I think Keane is a very good prospect. Great skater and he's got some edge. There's a lot that can happen for us over the summer.

Reactions: egelband and BBKers

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
looks like a waste of a contract from the stats point of view. And he has no size and is almost 24.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He doesn't play much. When he does, you can see he's quick and can move the puck around, but that's really it. He was a late-bloomer with skill, so we took a flyer and it hasn't panned out.

It's not a wasted contract spot. No team actually needs 50 contracts. You're always going to have at least five or so spots available, and it would really only be a waste to not use a few of those spots on UDFA signings. They generally don't work out, but sometimes they do. Newell will be here another year, probably be banished to the ECHL at some point, and be gone at the end of next season. Not really anything noteworthy about him or his situation.

EDIT: Before his thread is bumped, Elmer is in the same boat. He's younger and all, but he just played his first AHL game of the year.

The best of the guys we brought in last year is Nick Jones, who is actually on an AHL contract.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
He doesn't play much. When he does, you can see he's quick and can move the puck around, but that's really it. He was a late-bloomer with skill, so we took a flyer and it hasn't panned out.

It's not a wasted contract spot. No team actually needs 50 contracts. You're always going to have at least five or so spots available, and it would really only be a waste to not use a few of those spots on UDFA signings. They generally don't work out, but sometimes they do. Newell will be here another year, probably be banished to the ECHL at some point, and be gone at the end of next season. Not really anything noteworthy about him or his situation.

EDIT: Before his thread is bumped, Elmer is in the same boat. He's younger and all, but he just played his first AHL game of the year.

The best of the guys we brought in last year is Nick Jones, who is actually on an AHL contract.
Yup, but you keep signing them because one out of every ten turns into Dan Girardi or Neal Pionk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->