F Morgan Barron (2017, 174th, NYR; traded to WPG)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he holds over 1 ppg this year, there’s no way he’s not getting signed, there’s no reason for him to go back.

Considering when his season might end and what may happen at the trade deadline, he could parachute in ahead of Kravtsov and send Rangers twitter into a ritual suicide pact.

I think he’s coming in for a different role than Kravtsov. He looks more like a quality third line guy who can do some of everything, and in a pinch can probably play on any line with any style of player. He’s not that similar to Fast, but a similar style of role within the team.

If Kreider and one more forward are traded at the deadline (Fast, maybe Andersson, potentially even Strome), there could be room for both players. Room would also open up if Quinn would stop using Smith and Haley on the fourth line.

Reactions: bl02

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Getting an NHL'er at 174 is a steal, but I think it's a little too much to call him one of the steals of the draft. I just don't see big upside. He looks more likely to be a quality bottom six player. You'll definitely take that at 174, and it's definitely a steal, but it probably requires an impact player, even in the later rounds, to be a steal of the draft. We took Jesper Fast at 157 in 2010, and he's been a quality bottom six player during his career. I wouldn't call him the steal of the 2010 draft though.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Getting an NHL'er at 174 is a steal, but I think it's a little too much to call him one of the steals of the draft. I just don't see big upside. He looks more likely to be a quality bottom six player. You'll definitely take that at 174, and it's definitely a steal, but it probably requires an impact player, even in the later rounds, to be a steal of the draft. We took Jesper Fast at 157 in 2010, and he's been a quality bottom six player during his career. I wouldn't call him the steal of the 2010 draft though.
Yeah let's see what he does in the show but seems like a steal for sure

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland

I mean from the second round on even with you get a fringe nhler it was a good pick.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s slowing down, but 17 points in 13 games. Five more points than anyone else in his team, and top ten in the NCAA in PPG.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
23 points in 22 games. Hopefully he can keep above 1PPG, but the last two seasons he's started out very well and his numbers have decreased as the seasons have went along. He's a good player, and will probably contribute to the NHL team eventually, but I'm not sure how high his upside is. He's the age of the average college senior, and he's barely above 1PPG. There aren't that many top six/middle six forwards who were never above 1PPG in college hockey. That isn't to say his numbers will drop below 1PPG, but I think it shows that he's not a premier prospect. I think he's a good bottom six prospect, and we can use a quality bottom six forward who can do a little of everything.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
23 points in 22 games. Hopefully he can keep above 1PPG, but the last two seasons he's started out very well and his numbers have decreased as the seasons have went along. He's a good player, and will probably contribute to the NHL team eventually, but I'm not sure how high his upside is. He's the age of the average college senior, and he's barely above 1PPG. There aren't that many top six/middle six forwards who were never above 1PPG in college hockey. That isn't to say his numbers will drop below 1PPG, but I think it shows that he's not a premier prospect. I think he's a good bottom six prospect, and we can use a quality bottom six forward who can do a little of everything.
*24 points in 22 games

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
23 points in 22 games. Hopefully he can keep above 1PPG, but the last two seasons he's started out very well and his numbers have decreased as the seasons have went along. He's a good player, and will probably contribute to the NHL team eventually, but I'm not sure how high his upside is. He's the age of the average college senior, and he's barely above 1PPG. There aren't that many top six/middle six forwards who were never above 1PPG in college hockey. That isn't to say his numbers will drop below 1PPG, but I think it shows that he's not a premier prospect. I think he's a good bottom six prospect, and we can 3rd use a quality bottom six forward who can do a little of everything.

Everything I have read and heard from the organization is that they view him as the perfect 3rd or 4th line center. The better teams often have set, specialized guys that fill these roles.

You can rarely place a 1B or 2B center on a checking line. It just doesn't work.

They haven't said he can't aspire to being something better, but it is clear how and where they value Barron. Which is just fine...

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Everything I have read and heard from the organization is that they view him as the perfect 3rd or 4th line center. The better teams often have set, specialized guys that fill these roles.

You can rarely place a 1B or 2B center on a checking line. It just doesn't work.

They haven't said he can't aspire to being something better, but it is clear how and where they value Barron. Which is just fine...

I completely agree. We need players like Barron. If we had another 2-3 Fast's, we'd be a lot better and wouldn't be using players such as Haley, McKegg, DiGiuseppe. I was merely pointing out what I think is a realistic expectation for Barron. The accolades and statistics have been mentioned a lot with Barron because it's impressive and it generates more discussion than fore-checking ability or net front play, but his eventual NHL role will likely be measured very differently than his current play at Cornell is.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

Has the size, skill & skating to be a matchup C that doesn’t get caved as a 3C or winger.

Anything more than that is gravy.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Now at 32 points in 27 games. Leads Cornell in points by 8 points.

He might need a season in the AHL to adjust to pro hockey, but if not, he could be part of a potential playoff run this year. If some players are traded off here at the deadline in the next two days, spots at the forward positions are going to open up, and we are only about 13-14 deep in forwards who can take an NHL shift.

Reactions: bl02

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Now at 32 points in 27 games. Leads Cornell in points by 8 points.

He might need a season in the AHL to adjust to pro hockey, but if not, he could be part of a potential playoff run this year. If some players are traded off here at the deadline in the next two days, spots at the forward positions are going to open up, and we are only about 13-14 deep in forwards who can take an NHL shift.

How long until the college season is over?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
If all goes well with the Return to Play plan and the NHL actually awards the Cup, gets through the draft, free agency, etc - then camps will tentatively open November 17 and the 20-21 season will begin Dec 1st. A lot of hurdles to get through...

I was wondering the same thing about Barron. It was a real bummer he and his Cornell team couldnt take a crack at the NCAA title. They had a real strong squad. You wonder if he wants another shot or if he'll even have the chance to get it!

It may work out in the Rangers favor if we are all lucky enough to actually get to 20-21 camp. They'll have a good look at him in camp before any Ivy League games can start (Jan 1st at the earliest). Maybe with the dim, uncertain outlook for future of college sports in 2021 he'll just bite it and turn pro. I think he's ready to take the next step. Would also LOVE if they found a way to select his brother at the draft.

On a side note - I really feel for all amateur and student athletes of all ages. The real young ones are turning to devices as opposed to getting hooked on a sport. The middle age ones who already love the game are being forced to forego some very critical season(s) of development, and the older ones are being prevented from fulfilling goals and dreams they've worked so hard to accomplish. This whole thing really stinks on a lot of levels. Theres no other way to put it.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Barron is essentially the kind of player every NHL team would be looking for in a bottom six forward. High hockey IQ. Great size and a good skater. Rarely ever makes a defensive mistake. Can pass and shoot at a good level. Can play wing or center. Projects as a good faceoff guy. Can play the PP in front of the net or kill penalties. Great leader. Can play it physical. Creative wise he's not a top 6 but he's the definition of a winning player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
By no means is he struggling through two games, but I expected a little better. I guess what I see that I'm slightly surprised with is that his game doesn't immediately translate to a dominant AHL player. I think that was the expectation from most, considering a lot thought he might even make the NHL team right away.

I think Barron is going to be a good NHL bottom six player, but I really do not see the skill or skating for any better than that. He's big, he works hard, he goes to the net, protects the puck, makes good decisions and can shoot, but he's not really more than a slightly below-average skater and he doesn't make many plays with the puck. I do like his defensive game, as well, but I hope fans don't expect too much from Barron due to his college hockey play. I think a full season in the AHL and then stepping into the fourth line for next season makes the most sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad