F Morgan Barron (2017, 174th, NYR; traded to WPG)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has 3 points (2+1) in 4 games. I've really been liking his play the last few games. I think he's the type of player whose not very flashy, but the more you see him play on a consistent basis instead of a game here or there during the course of a season, you realize the consistency he brings.

To start with the negative, he really does not bring high end offensive ability. He doesn't stick-handle much, he's not more than an average passer, and he's not much of an offensive creator.

However, he makes so many quality decisions in every zone. And he plays a very heavy game. EP lists him at 6'2. The Rangers list him at 6'4 220. The 6'4 220 listing looks correct. He's excellent along the boards, and wins a lot of board battles. He's able to protect the puck because of his size and strength. He parks himself at the net, but sometimes will pop off into areas where he can get a shot off. He has a pretty good shot, but I also think players like him usually are going to score most of their goals at the net. Physically and offensively, there's some Kreider to how he plays with the obvious caveat being he doesn't skate anywhere near as well.

His skating is okay. Not going to lead the rush or beat players with anything other than size and strength, but he gets by. He's been playing center. I don't see why he couldn't stick at center, but I also think he could play wing. He's doing a good job defensively and on the PK.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Scored at a PPG pace in an all be it depleted AHL last season. But still very promising. Really hoping he impresses in the upcoming preseason. He could be exactly the 3rd line type of player the Rangers need right now. Just not sure if he's ready to play at center, more likely if he did make the team out of preseason, he'd be on the wing.

Looking very forward to see how he does. Rangers absolutely need a guy with moderate offensive ability and well above average defense and skating for their 3rd line. Either on Chytil's wing, or if Chytil moved to 2nd line, as a 3C if Barron does prove ready.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Didn’t make the team. He’s probably better than 4-5 forwards on the team, and he’s capable of playing in the bottom six.

The rebuild is over. Kids are now at a disadvantage compared to veterans under Drury and Gallant.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Recalled with Kakko being out for about a week.

Barron shouldn’t go back down when Kakko returns. He’s better at hockey than our whole fourth line. No reason he needs to play any more in the AHL. He was great there last season. If the only spot available for him is fourth line when everyone returns, he can play there and that’s where he should play.

I am not giving this new coach and GM a long leash. Barron cannot go back down. Too much youth and skill is being drained from this team for veterans and toughness, and it’s already having a bad effect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad