F Frank Nazar - Michigan Wolverines, NCAA (2022, 13th, CHI)

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I like Nazar a lot but I don't know about top 5 talk. I think there are a few guys with more upside I'd take above him. To me he projects pretty safely as a second line guy, which is good for a 6-10 pick but I wouldn't use my 5th pick on him.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Wow, this doesnt' match any description of him that I've seen.

The descriptions of Nazar and Kemell have been so all over the place and contradictory, I don't know what to believe.

Descriptions from online sources are so often wrong and/or suffer from a lack of understanding that the proper way to describe a draft eligible's skills and attributes is not in relation to the level of competition they are playing at, but rather how they will compare to NHL competition.

Nazar is not a bad skater and might even be slightly above-average compared to other players in the USHL, but he's not at the level of someone like Cooley, who can be reasonably characterized as an above-average skater.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
2022 NHL Draft: Frank Nazar Scouting Report - Last Word On Hockey

What Is Frank Nazar’s Potential?

Nazar is one of this writer’s favourite prospects in the 2022 NHL draft class. His skating and defensive abilities really stand out. His work ethic is another trait that gets praised by experts when it comes to breaking down Nazar. That said, his offensive ability is something that packs a lot of upsides itself. Paired with his transitional abilities and strong reliability in the defensive zone, he could be a future number one center or winger for whichever NHL franchise calls his name on draft day. He has top PK and PP upside, with an ability to play in any and all situations. However, if his offensive abilities have trouble translating to the NCAA or NHL levels, his smarts, skating and two-way game still give him a relatively safe floor to be a solid third line forward in the future.

That being said, Nazar could safely be projected as a future middle-six forward, leaning more towards second line potential. While that may not be the most intriguing selection in the top-10, as mentioned earlier, if things go well in his development, he could be a really good number one center. He’s well worth a top-10 selection. And he should continue to get attention as a top-10 potential pick as we near draft day.

Scouting Report: Frank Nazar - Smaht Scouting

Nazar’s Style of Play

Frank Nazar is the type of high-energy player with a “never quit” attitude that nearly every NHL team will absolutely fall in love with when watching his games. Nazar is a quality mix of speed and skill that elevates the play of his teammates whenever he’s on the ice.

Nazar is very creative with the puck on his stick, regardless of which zone the play is in. Defensively, he’s able to elude opponents by chipping the puck into open ice and working around the attacker to retrieve it. Alternatively, he’s quite good at utilizing bank passes to himself to keep the puck out of danger when under pressure. Offensively, Nazar can seemingly make something out of nothing with the puck on his stick. It’s not uncommon for him to have the puck with a man on him and dole out an accurate pass to a teammate cross-ice for a shot on goal.

Skating

Widely mentioned as arguably his most impressive trait, Nazar’s skating ability is among the best in the entire 2022 Draft class. He’s able to combine a set of exceptionally quick feet, above average edgework, and great overall pace to beat even the best defenders in the USHL/NCAA on a consistent basis.

Frank Nazar is one of the most exciting prospects in the 2022 NHL Draft - EP Rinkside

Nazar will be one of those players that pundits look back on when they re-draft 2022 and decide that too many teams passed on him and then wonder how it happened. He's that good.

Nazar's natural skating ability raises profile as 2022 NHL Draft prospect

"He's a kid that plays the game at such a high pace; even games where he's not noticeably productive on the scoresheet, he's creating chances and putting pressure," NHL Central Scouting senior manager David Gregory said. "You'll see some teams just back off as soon as he gets the puck because if they don't, they're going to get burned because he can fly with and without the puck. He's not the biggest guy, but I don't think that'll hold him back."

I could keep going, but I think I'll stop here. For now.

TheCrease

Dec 1, 2021
There is so much that goes into being labeled a great or bad skater. Top end speed, acceleration, edgework etc.

A lot of guys get lazy and just say someone is not a great skater. When they really need to break down what they mean. For example: NHL top end speed but edgework is off a little, would be a better statement.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
There is so much that goes into being labeled a great or bad skater. Top end speed, acceleration, edgework etc.

A lot of guys get lazy and just say someone is not a great skater. When they really need to break down what they mean. For example: NHL top end speed but edgework is off a little, would be a better statement.

It would be if it were true. Frank Nazar is one of the best skating prospects in the draft. Period.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Great read if you subscribe:

Nazar sees himself as a two way center and wants to stay in the middle.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC

Love that he identifies his weaknesses and calls himself out. Drive to succeed should be a huge thing for scouts to focus on these young kids. Any player that wants to be better, will be better.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Good read.

Not complacent at all and wants to keep improving even if that are aspects of his game that are already good. I think it will be interesting to see in a few years if he or Cooley end up being better.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

I'm liking this kid more and more. He's looking like a good candidate for the Wings pick in the 7-11 range (wherever they finish)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm liking this kid more and more. He's looking like a good candidate for the Wings pick in the 7-11 range (wherever they finish)
I am not sure he makes it that far. If the Devils and Flyers manage to push the Kraken out of the top-4, I think they may go for Nazar in that 5-7 range. I still expect Wright, Cooley, Slafkvosky to go ahead of Nazar but unless the Kraken scouts rank Nemec/Jiricek (whoever is available when they pick) higher than Nazar, I expect them to go Nazar.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I am not sure he makes it that far. If the Devils and Flyers manage to push the Kraken out of the top-4, I think they may go for Nazar in that 5-7 range. I still expect Wright, Cooley, Slafkvosky to go ahead of Nazar but unless the Kraken scouts rank Nemec/Jiricek (whoever is available when they pick) higher than Nazar, I expect them to go Nazar.

I would expect the devils to go winger or defense in this draft. They have Hischier and Hughes there. Mercer can play some C as well. Currently the Devils are 5, so I would expect them to be in the Nemec/Jiricek and Slafkovsky here.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think then Kraken would be wise to go with Nemec. He looks really good.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think then Kraken would be wise to go with Nemec. He looks really good.
I am genuinely not sure how much of a difference there in the top-5/6 of this draft.

Wright
Cooley
Nemec
Jiricek
Slaf
Nazar

I feel they are pretty close but will trust the Kraken scouts and management to make the right decision here. People argue that Nazar is a tier below those top-5 but I am not sure that is the case. And if it is, the difference may be very small.

i also feel that if they have 2 prospects valued equally they are likely to go the forward route than the D-man route.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad