F Filip Zadina - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I have also watched the shift by shift videos. He really tends to defer the puck handling responsibilities to his linemates, especially though the neutral zone. He is dependent on others doing the heavy lifting. When he gets the puck in an oppurtunistic area, he really attacks, displays awesome stickhandling, lateral quicknes and can really finish. I do not, however, see a guy with 360 degree awareness on the ice. I believe his upside is often exaggerated.
Exactly how I feel. Personally, he wouldn't be my pick at 3.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Combine is utterly useless in the NHL. These are kids who are 17/18 when drafted not 21/22 like in the NFL. So they're not close to where they'll be physically in their prime.

Honestly kids should just stop going to that thing all together.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Combine is utterly useless in the NHL. These are kids who are 17/18 when drafted not 21/22 like in the NFL. So they're not close to where they'll be physically in their prime.

Honestly kids should just stop going to that thing all together.

The best thing about the combine is teams interview players they like to try and get a better feel for their personalty/off ice demeanor.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think teams passing on Zads will regret it. Not every player will be a ppg two way force with no weaknesses. He is a fast (could stand to get faster) goal scoring winger who I would say projects to be more like a young Martin Havlat.

If you go back through top five picks every year, really, what do people expect that a potential 40 goal scorer will fall in the draft over a physical combine that means nothing in the long run?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think teams passing on Zads will regret it. Not every player will be a ppg two way force with no weaknesses. He is a fast (could stand to get faster) goal scoring winger who I would say projects to be more like a young Martin Havlat.

If you go back through top five picks every year, really, what do people expect that a potential 40 goal scorer will fall in the draft over a physical combine that means nothing in the long run?

PPG two-way force with no weaknesses is a much better description of a guy like Svechnikov than Zadina.

Better description of Zadina's potential is a 30-30-60 guy. Sort of like Tarasenko in a down year.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
PPG two-way force with no weaknesses is a much better description of a guy like Svechnikov than Zadina.

Better description of Zadina's potential is a 30-30-60 guy. Sort of like Tarasenko in a down year.

I wasn't referring to Zadina with that comment, I was mentioning that that's all people want from top picks. I also don't believe Svech will be that at all. I see 35-30 as Zadina's likely, and 40-40 as his top potential. I see Svech in the same light but with more assists. I think neither will be defensive stalwarts. They're equal prospects.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The best thing about the combine is teams interview players they like to try and get a better feel for their personalty/off ice demeanor.

Which again is pretty useless because kids will meet with prospective teams anyway and the character/off ice issues that might prevent a team from drafting a kid would already be known about.

Wouldn't care if they scrapped the combine all together.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
For a long time I wanted Zadina to go as high as possible and I am pretty sure Zadina himself wants to go in the top3/5. But fact is that it's better to go later and be picked by some relatively decent team. Montreal and Ottawa are the exact opposite, both seem like toxic environment.
Go later, develop with good coaching staff and make the other teams regret they went for positional need over skill.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno

Havlát was one of the most explosive players in the league. He was more like a winger version of Nečas, Zadina is different.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
He's an OK skater but not an explosive one like Havlát was.

His explosiveness lies in his agility and shiftiness. He's above average with speed, but definitely not as fast. In overall playstyles, I view them much the same. I watched a lot of Havlat as he was a favourite, and considering I live beside the moose and watch every game, I can see the similarities.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
His explosiveness lies in his agility and shiftiness. He's above average with speed, but definitely not as fast. In overall playstyles, I view them much the same. I watched a lot of Havlat as he was a favourite, and considering I live beside the moose and watch every game, I can see the similarities.

I don't see it. Young Havlát - when on his day - was a highlight reel machine, always making plays and one of the fastest players in the league. Zadina is more of a finisher, not as inventive with the puck as Havlát. He's got terrific goal scoring instincts, quick hands and an amazing wrist shot but I don't expect to ever see him make crazy flashy moves like Havlát did in his best days.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I don't see it. Young Havlát - when on his day - was a highlight reel machine, always making plays and one of the fastest players in the league. Zadina is more of a finisher, not as inventive with the puck as Havlát. He's got terrific goal scoring instincts, quick hands and an amazing wrist shot but I don't expect to ever see him make crazy flashy moves like Havlát did in his best days.

I guess we'll agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
McKenzie says this on the Bobcast today.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he fell a bit. I currently have him outside my top5 as well, although I haven't finalized my rankings yet. He's a fine player and a very safe player but I just don't see him being a big impact player in the NHL.

I see him getting his 25 goals and 60 points a year but I don't see him being a difference maker in the way some of the guys ranked around him could be. He's not really a game-breaker in my eyes, someone who can set the tone in a game with a great individual performance. He's more of an opportunist than someone who imposes their will on the game.

I could definitely see some teams having guys like Hughes, Kotkaniemi, Dobson and Tkachuk ahead of him, maybe even Wahlstrom and Bouchard. It's so close between all those guys in that range. Kravtsov seems to be a late riser too though personalyl I think he's way too risky to take that early.

LarrysMustache

Feb 29, 2016
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he fell a bit. I currently have him outside my top5 as well, although I haven't finalized my rankings yet. He's a fine player and a very safe player but I just don't see him being a big impact player in the NHL.

I see him getting his 25 goals and 60 points a year but I don't see him being a difference maker in the way some of the guys ranked around him could be. He's not really a game-breaker in my eyes, someone who can set the tone in a game with a great individual performance. He's more of an opportunist than someone who imposes their will on the game.

I could definitely see some teams having guys like Hughes, Kotkaniemi, Dobson and Tkachuk ahead of him, maybe even Wahlstrom and Bouchard. It's so close between all those guys in that range. Kravtsov seems to be a late riser too though personalyl I think he's way too risky to take that early.

Stay with soccer homie. He's the only guy who project as 40 goals scorer in this draft. Even without proper physical strength, he's got a Michael Ryder release. Combine his physical potential, pp abilities and easy skating, with the right pp teammates he could score 35-40 every year. I can definitively see the Canes pull the trigger on him because he just f. puts it in!

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Stay with soccer homie. He's the only guy who project as 40 goals scorer in this draft. Even without proper physical strength, he's got a Michael Ryder release. Combine his physical potential, pp abilities and easy skating, with the right pp teammates he could score 35-40 every year. I can definitively see the Canes pull the trigger on him because he just f. puts it in!
Only guy that projects as a 40 goal scorer? He would be unanimously ahead of Svechnikov if that were the case, but he's not. Stick to mustaches, homie.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
He's definitely not the only player in the draft with 40 goal upside... Svechnikov and Wahlstrom are both right up there in terms of offensive potential.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

when looking at tape of some of the goal scorers in this draft you can see that they care capable of scoring in a variety of ways. Deflections, rebounds, snipes, backhands, wrist shots, slap shots, breakaways. With Zadina you see a great wrist shot and quick hands and that is about it. Unless this guy is the second coming of ovi, its going to be very hard making a living scoring those type of goals.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I'm sorry, are you implying I don't know what I'm talking about solely due to me having an avatar of a soccer player? That's kinda rich coming from a guy with 49 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad