F Filip Zadina - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Barkov had 48 points in 53 games in his SM-Liiga draft season. Kotkaniemi had 29 in 57. Not having seen him play and just going on the numbers, that's a pretty large gap.

That's smoke and mirrors gamesmanship by management of Ottawa/Arizona in hoping Zadina falls to them.
understood

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Maybe comparable to Boeser. Elite shot, skating isn't great, net result is still a lot of goals for.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
His skating is actually quite good in terms of edge work and quickness, he's just not a straightline speed guy.

Reminds me alot of William Karlsson actually but with a heavier shot.

Reactions: schnapshot

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe comparable to Boeser. Elite shot, skating isn't great, net result is still a lot of goals for.

Zadina’s skating is better that Boeser’s was as a prospect. He can certainly stand to improve first step acceleration and top end speed but his agility, balance, and edgework are all good.

If anything Zadina’s skating is similar to Laine’s and Forsberg’s.

Reactions: schnapshot and rt

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It’s weird because when you hear scouts talk about him, they always mention he’s a good skater. I guess HFBoards has more scrutiny...

"Skating" doesn't mean 1 thing. Jeff Skinner is an amazing skater when looking at edgework, balance, turns in tight spaces, lateral movement, etc., but he doesn't have blazing speed. Grabner has amazing speed, but isn't nearly as agile or have the lateral movement of a guy like Skinner.

My understanding is Zadina doesn't have great speed or a quick first step, but is quite agile, has good balance, good edgework, etc.. So he is a good skater in that regards.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Zadina's skating is fine. Not everyone is going to skate like McDavid or Ehlers. Forsberg, Laine, Kessel, Rakell, Rantanen, Skinner, Simmonds, etc. aren't the fastest skaters in the world but they score a bunch of goals. Zadina's release and shot is high-end.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
It’s weird because when you hear scouts talk about him, they always mention he’s a good skater. I guess HFBoards has more scrutiny...

My buddy who played for the moose and a bit of pro came to a playoff game and said he could just tell by the way Zadina skates he's gonna be a pro.

Not everyone will look like MacKinnon or Ehlers at top gear, and Zadina will likely never have that - but he can certainly get around the ice fine.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Zadina's skating is fine. Not everyone is going to skate like McDavid or Ehlers. Forsberg, Laine, Kessel, Rakell, Rantanen, Skinner, Simmonds, etc. aren't the fastest skaters in the world but they score a bunch of goals. Zadina's release and shot is high-end.

Forsberg, Kessel and Skinner are all fantastic skaters though.

I've seen Zadina live once and I didn't notice the skating issue some people like to refer too. He didn't really have the chance to display his straight line speed, but he was very agile and made things happen around the net.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Forsberg, Kessel and Skinner are all fantastic skaters though.

I've seen Zadina live once and I didn't notice the skating issue some people like to refer too. He didn't really have the chance to display his straight line speed, but he was very agile and make things happen around the net.

It's incredibly overblown. I was surprised when I heard people were worried about his skating. I think he is probably the strongest skater to ever have skating concerns raised about him.

Reactions: Pouliot

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
There’s nothing wrong with Zadina’s skating. He’s a plus skater. Skating is a strength of his. What is happening in this thread?

He finished like 35th out of 40th or something like that in the top prospects skating testing.

Not like it means much, but i guess some people are raising it as a red flag?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zadina is a good skater. However, he is not a speedster. There's a difference between the two. You could be both, but you could also be a good skater without having great speed. It's actually pretty common.

Reactions: Acadien86

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He finished like 35th out of 40th or something like that in the top prospects skating testing.

Not like it means much, but i guess some people are raising it as a red flag?
I can’t speak to what happened in a single heat. Bad day? Stumbled? Holding in a massive dump? Went way too hard during “leg day” in the weight room one day prior?

I’m really not even a little concerned about a single skills excercise at a skills event that happened one day. I’ve watched both him play competitively at highest levels of his age group. He’s a good skater.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, I think agility and edgework (Hischier, Skinner) is more important than straight line speed. With how little space there is with guys getting bigger and faster, it's more important than ever.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah, I think agility and edgework (Hischier, Skinner) is more important than straight line speed. With how little space there is with guys getting bigger and faster, it's more important than ever.

Zadina has really good edges that allow him to make quick cuts and create space.. Plus.. His straight line speed is not good - minus... He has correctable issues so it will improve ..I would say small concern vs big concern.

So who past the top 2 have no concerns?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think Zadina has no concerns- he's a top 6 winger at the very least... I think the question is how big is the upside? there are some who think he's a 40+ goal guy and some who think he's a 25 goal guy.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Zadina has really good edges that allow him to make quick cuts and create space.. Plus.. His straight line speed is not good - minus... He has correctable issues so it will improve ..I would say small concern vs big concern.

So who past the top 2 have no concerns?
I personally don't see any glaring flaws in Dobson's game, but defenders are more high-risk.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad