F Filip Zadina - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think Zadina has no concerns- he's a top 6 winger at the very least... I think the question is how big is the upside? there are some who think he's a 40+ goal guy and some who think he's a 25 goal guy.

I'd say this is pretty accurate. And, for arguments sake, let's say he ends up somewhere in the middle... we are looking at a 30-35 goal guy, which any team can use. As for current day comparisons - I think Rakell and Forsberg are pretty close, but Zadina's shot at 18 is slightly better than either of theirs IMO... and they are in the 30-55 goal range, with some room to grow. I think Zadina will be in this mold, which makes him worthy of a 2-5 pick.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
It's more like passing on Forsberg for Galchenyuk.
Uh Forsberg dropped out of the top 10. As for galchenyuk he's tied for the most points from that draft despite being horribly mismanaged by the habs. My concern is zadina will be horribly mismanaged by the same mental midgets in Montreal. For zadinas sake he better be better drafted by another team.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
By that guy’s logic, Buffalo should take Kotkaniemi before Dahlin because he’s a better gym rat.
Stop it, just admit Zadina’s lack of power made him score 44 in 56 instead of 50 in 56...

We saw how wrong Buffalo was to pick Mittelstadt with his poor combine last year.

Reactions: Acadien86

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Grant is a hack.

Used to be damn fine and actually has connection to Trevor Timmins so I wouldn't call him a hack. But the past year he lost every inch of credibility he once had and it sucks because he was a very respected member of HFBoards.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I’d pay so much money to see Phil Kessel show up to the combine and and participate in the tests after dropping 92pts in the NHL last season.

This would have been amazing last year.

Phil walks in and starts giving workout tips, while eating hotdogs out of the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: Acadien86

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I've watched the Zadina "shift by shift" video again and I really want to like his game, but outside of his obvious shooting ability, I'm not a fan of the rest of his game. Probably even less than my first viewing. I'm pretty sure that his board play will be an issue in the NHL. He lets the opponent go by him and retrieve the puck and try a stick lift rather than use his body and engage in a 1 on 1 battle. That will never work in the NHL, in fact, it barely works in the Q.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I've watched the Zadina "shift by shift" video again and I really want to like his game, but outside of his obvious shooting ability, I'm not a fan of the rest of his game. Probably even less than my first viewing. I'm pretty sure that his board play will be an issue in the NHL. He lets the opponent go by him and retrieve the puck and try a stick lift rather than use his body and engage in a 1 on 1 battle. That will never work in the NHL, in fact, it barely works in the Q.
His board play was just fine in the international friendly games. It wasn't the NHL, but it was well above the QMJHL level of play against top European grown men and he did alright.

I see a lot of complaints about his skating (he is above average) and combine (lol) but none regarding his play in the defensive zone. That's where he really needs to get better if he wants to play in the NHL next season.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
His board play was just fine in the international friendly games. It wasn't the NHL, but it was well above the QMJHL level of play against top European grown men and he did alright.

I see a lot of complaints about his skating (he is above average) and combine (lol) but none regarding his play in the defensive zone. That's where he really needs to get better if he wants to play in the NHL next season.

I can't evaluate him based on this because I didn't see those games. That's on the big ice right? Maybe he just needs to adapt to smaller ice after all, this was his first year in North America. That being said, he will never get away with breaking and let the opponent get to the puck first in any professional North American league. I think MTL will pass on him but maybe I'm wrong because his offensive talent is undeniable.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
please subscribe my family is starving

:laugh:

Grant's a desperado however as has been mentioned, he does have some connection to a few in the scouting community, FWIW.

Does anyone believe that Zadina's status as the projected 3OA has changed?

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012

I have also watched the shift by shift videos. He really tends to defer the puck handling responsibilities to his linemates, especially though the neutral zone. He is dependent on others doing the heavy lifting. When he gets the puck in an oppurtunistic area, he really attacks, displays awesome stickhandling, lateral quicknes and can really finish. I do not, however, see a guy with 360 degree awareness on the ice. I believe his upside is often exaggerated.

Reactions: Favster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce