F Filip Zadina (2018, 6th, DET) Part 2

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Have they tried Zadina on Right Wing? Lots of his success in Halifax last season was goals and shots from the right side. Could make his shot more deadlier. I personally think he’s still doing well at 19 in a men’s league though maybe you’d expect a little more production for a team that’s third in the league right now. I think the statement “filling nets with pucks” was a little cocky of a quote but doesn’t mean he won’t in the future!

Despite their overall record, their PP is dead last in the AHL and they’ve been in the bottom third offensively since I don’t know when.

I don’t want to make excuses for Zadina but I would’ve really liked to see the Griffins/Martin do a better job recruiting down the middle for this season. Miele would’ve been the perfect NHL prep center for Zadina. Even Street. Their D is really tanking offensively as well (outside of Hronek who’s been in the NHL for half the season). Saarijarvi and Hicketts have disappointed big time in that regard.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Realistically, he's playing on a team full of AHL lifers.

Make of that what you will. The experience helps, but it's not like he's got any superstars to help him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Despite their overall record, their PP is dead last in the AHL and they’ve been in the bottom third offensively since I don’t know when.

I don’t want to make excuses for Zadina but I would’ve really liked to see the Griffins/Martin do a better job recruiting down the middle for this season. Miele would’ve been the perfect NHL prep center for Zadina. Even Street. Their D is really tanking offensively as well (outside of Hronek who’s been in the NHL for half the season). Saarijarvi and Hicketts have disappointed big time in that regard.

Yeah not a lot of help on the back end down there moving the puck without Hronek. The team really isnt very talented but I agree it woulda been nice to have him playing with a stud, AHL center all season. That video shows a lot of guys not finishing on chances created by Zadina. The team is bad on the PP and their overall GF is bottom ten or so. Not excuses but a little bit of context as well.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I like his confidence with the puck at that level of competition in those highlights. Will need to work on his skating if he wants to be a dominant force in the NHL.

the skating looked good enough to me. the really encouraging thing about that package was seeing how comfortable he is entering the zone and the ways he's able to use his edgework and hand eye to take unique angles to establish offensive possession. making quick decisions with the puck in transition is the way goals happen in the current iteration of the league. he's not a burner, but the way he uses his edges and protects the puck reminds me of jeff skinner.

Newt91

Feb 8, 2019
Zadina has a similar style to Kucherov, he's deceptive. Saying that, I think he'll be like a poor man's Kucherov

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Needs more strength and core as I've said before. Once hes harder to knock around, hes going to be able to create much more space for himself.

Reactions: Frk It

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Well playing without an elite center can only make him better when he finally gets to play with one right?

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I think the biggest thing is strength as many have said. If he puts in a strong offseason in the gym (which I have no doubt he will given the Wings' brass comments about how motivated he is to get better and how open to criticism he is), I think he'll torch the A for 10-20 games and then be called up for the rest of the year next year.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Scored 8 seconds into OT. Has goals in 4 consecutive games. Points in five.

Finally getting some consistency.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
iLXIo0B.gif

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Scored 8 seconds into OT. Has goals in 4 consecutive games. Points in five.

Finally getting some consistency.

Your #1 prospect really needs it, 109th (20th in the rookie scoring) in the AHL scoring this season,
wish him all well though, not every prospect develops quickly,he is a player of the future, one day he is going to be good.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Your #1 prospect really needs it, 109th (20th in the rookie scoring) in the AHL scoring this season,
wish him all well though, not every prospect develops quickly,he is a player of the future, one day he is going to be good.
His numbers really arent to bad considering a lot of rookies in the A aren’t 19 year olds.

His game has really improved a lot since the beginning of the season and he’s playing with a ton of confidence. Should get a better idea of where he’s at development wise when he gets a some games in with Detroit after the trade deadline.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Sure, compare the 19 years old to the rest of the AHL. "Rookies" also include guys that are four older than him.
If you're concerned about his overall game, okay. His production is fine.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
His numbers really arent to bad considering a lot of rookies in the A aren’t 19 year olds.

His game has really improved a lot since the beginning of the season and he’s playing with a ton of confidence. Should get a better idea of where he’s at development wise when he gets a some games in with Detroit after the trade deadline.
Beat me to it.

Reactions: Christien

Kakko the bust

Hughes > Kakko ALL DAY, everyday
Nov 6, 2017

Not sure if serious. He started the year as an 18 year old. So him being(20th in rookie scoring) is a pointless fact. When I can bet you 15-18 of those guys are older than him at least. If I remember correctly, he’s second in points for all U20 players(15g+15a)

You’re just trying to put him down but it doesn’t work here.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Uh, his numbers are very good for a 19 year old rookie in AHL.

I agree, I think his production is quite good for a 19 year old. It's a tough adjustment going from a junior league to a men's league, so there's an adaptation period. He seems to be getting better and more comfortable as the year goes on.

I think going at number 6 overall instead of number 3 will probably be a blessing in disguise for him. A little less pressure. Detroit can be a little more patient with him.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

As numerous others already pointed out, he started at 18 in a league that you generally don't get into until 20. :laugh:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Uh, his numbers are very good for a 19 year old rookie in AHL.

Yeah, if you project his numbers over an 82 game sample he would be on pace for 56 points with 28 goals. Thats on a team with a weak PP and where hes had some injury issues. WHat I always look for the most in young guys in their first year in the AHL is production towards the end of the season. Zadina had his adjustment period to pro hockey and has been on a tear the last 8-10 games or so.

It will be interesting to see what he does in his call up to Detroit. I tihnk that will give people more of the gauge on him that they need. Depending on whose traded, I could see him getting a bit of PP time and third line mins while hes up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad