Confirmed with Link: F David Kampf re-signs in Toronto (4 years, $2.4M AAV)

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I’m starting to think Engvall, Mikheyev, Kerfoot and Jarnkrok really helped/masked Kampfs game offensively and defensively. Kampf has absolutely zero chemistry with Gregor and Reaves and he needs to play with fast two way players. This contract is looking like an absolute boat anchor to start the season unfortunately.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
When you get scored on off of a cycle play by opposing teams D man then your winger completely missed his assignment .. sure Kampf did not play it well but there is a lack of defensive structure which most peewee teams can manage

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It's this attitude that has contributed to dwindling depth over the years. Holmberg is a replacement player with 0 points this year and has never shown anything more than flashes of being an okay player (which is exciting when he's 23, not exciting when the prospect shine wears off). Expecting the better Marlies to give us depth scoring has failed, year after year after year. We need quality NHL'ers in our bottom six, not tweeners.

Our big 4 contracts consist of 50% of the salary cap. We have $4.25m for goalies and a $22m blueline. Paying Kampf 400k at the same time as paying 40m to four players and blaming Kampf's contract is hilarious. That is 1% of what the other guys make. 400k is important, but the idea that the only cap misallocation is overpaying depth should have died on these forums years ago after the big guns failed to deliver again and again.

Kampf should do better this year, but I'll waste time and pixels to defend a guy who's played hard for us for years and done his job well.

4th line rookie C with competent linemates.

Screen Shot 2023-11-09 at 11.09.41 AM.png

But ya, never showed anything.

Reactions: Jacquestrapless
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
When you get scored on off of a cycle play by opposing teams D man then your winger completely missed his assignment .. sure Kampf did not play it well but there is a lack of defensive structure which most peewee teams can manage

They were in a good defensive position. Well, everyone except for Kampf. He has to recognize that a forward is already below the goal line. Instead, he wanted to take part in the team photo.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
4th line rookie C with competent linemates.

View attachment 765478

But ya, never showed anything.
Am I supposed to be impressed by half a season that paces out to 11g and 28p? Those are David Kampf numbers, and at least we know that Kampf can play defense against top competition.

No, Holmberg hasn't shown anything besides being a competent tweener. Tweeners are great to have, but if the plan is to put Pontus Holmberg at 4c, the plan is garbage depth. Kampf has an NHL resume and is an NHL player who excels on the defensive end of the ice. Starting this season badly does not disappear his previous body of work and I'm going to spend a lot longer than 15 games before I start slinging any mud his way. The problem is higher in the lineup, much higher.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Am I supposed to be impressed by half a season that paces out to 11g and 28p? Those are David Kampf numbers, and at least we know that Kampf can play defense against top competition.

No, Holmberg hasn't shown anything besides being a competent tweener. Tweeners are great to have, but if the plan is to put Pontus Holmberg at 4c, the plan is garbage depth. Kampf has an NHL resume and is an NHL player who excels on the defensive end of the ice. Starting this season badly does not disappear his previous body of work and I'm going to spend a lot longer than 15 games before I start slinging any mud his way. The problem is higher in the lineup, much higher.

Holmberg has also looked better on the 4th line than Kampf.

29 pts (11 goals, 18 assists) over 82 games as a 4th line C (rookie) getting 10 minutes a game is not bad...

Kampf generally played 3C by the way, around 15 mins a game, and was putting up similar numbers...

I am not saying he is a solution, but I'd rather see what he can offer over re-signing Kampf for 2.4x3

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Holmberg has also looked better on the 4th line than Kampf.

29 pts (11 goals, 18 assists) over 82 games as a 4th line C (rookie) getting 10 minutes a game is not bad...

Kampf generally played 3C by the way, around 15 mins a game, and was putting up similar numbers...

I am not saying he is a solution, but I'd rather see what he can offer over re-signing Kampf for 2.4x3
So you'd rather see what we have in a tweener than keep a player that we know can succeed higher in the lineup? Kampf was genuinely very good as our 3c for two full years and that's a positive in his column. He doesn't produce much, but he was a big part of our defensive structure and success. We have no such structure or success this year, but considering that the whole team looks like shit, I'm not blaming the player.

"not bad" for a 23 year old is describing a tweener. Maybe he's a good enough tweener that he's actually a reasonable fourth liner and gives us some quality depth. That's great, keep him and the full time NHL'ers because that would mean we actually have some depth.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So you'd rather see what we have in a tweener than keep a player that we know can succeed higher in the lineup? Kampf was genuinely very good as our 3c for two full years and that's a positive in his column. He doesn't produce much, but he was a big part of our defensive structure and success. We have no such structure or success this year, but considering that the whole team looks like shit, I'm not blaming the player.

"not bad" for a 23 year old is describing a tweener. Maybe he's a good enough tweener that he's actually a reasonable fourth liner and gives us some quality depth. That's great, keep him and the full time NHL'ers because that would mean we actually have some depth.

We don't have a 3rd line that is suited for Kampf... it was 4th line or ruining another line offensively... but he is helping to ruin the 4th line currently instead.

23 year old SHL MVP who outperformed our 4C, maybe you call that a tweener, but I don't.

He's proven he can play in the NHL, it'd be nice to see if he has more to offer than what he showed last year (which is already better than Kampf).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’m starting to think Engvall, Mikheyev, Kerfoot and Jarnkrok really helped/masked Kampfs game offensively and defensively. Kampf has absolutely zero chemistry with Gregor and Reaves and he needs to play with fast two way players. This contract is looking like an absolute boat anchor to start the season unfortunately.

Kampf definitely needs a winger on his line with speed, who can deal with the puck once he passes it off.

On his current line hes expected to carry that burden and he doesn't have the puck skills to do it himself.

I'm surprised Keefe doesn't realize this

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009

I'm glad that many of you are beginning to realize this.

Kerfoot wasn't great for us last year but he was a good defensive forward that lost his offensive touch, he did put up 50 points for us the year prior.

Engvall wasn't a guy that used the full gamut of his physical talents but he was an excellent defensive forward that had the ability to transition the puck from one zone to another.

Sam Lafferty wasn't a high end offensive forward but he was a tenacious forechecker with speed.

Noah Accari, Andreas Johnsson, Kasperi Kapanen, Connor Brown, Ondreij Kase, Ilya Mikeyhev etc.

This forum had such an oddly critical view of the bottom six in the past for what they weren't - Eric Lindros, that you guys overlooked what they were. Many of them were defensively responsible forwards that could be played on the PK and/or PP and a few of them could be played with on the top six in case of injury.

The reality is most good bottom six lines in the NHL are made up of imperfect players who lack skills in some component of the game but make up for it in others. They are put along side other imperfect players that have the skills they lack but lack the skills they have. This forum wanted this mythical bottom six player that could forecheck, play defense, hit, play on special teams, score 30+ goals, fight, was cheap and provide a two state solution to the Israeli Palestinian conflict. Newsflash, if such a player existed why would the be playing on the bottom six?

The current bottom six as it stands could use anyone of those players from the past to shore up their deficiencies (defense). Reaves can be flat out replaced entirely with a chair.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Majority watching would just blame Reaves because he was in the frame near the goal scorer.
Reaves is the RWer and its actually his man who scores oddly enough. There is a positional swap with Gregor and Kampf that's missed, but you'd really want Kampf in the middle and Reaves on the scorer.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They were in a good defensive position. Well, everyone except for Kampf. He has to recognize that a forward is already below the goal line. Instead, he wanted to take part in the team photo.
Hockey is a 5 on 5 game .. yes Kampf was out of position .. but da LD scored on a slapper inside point .. da RW on Leafs could not keep up to play and lost his man .. that should never ever ever occur irrespective of what da C does .. hockey 101 we were taught when we were 6 .. by peewee a RW was benched for mistake like that one .. and if you made a few of them guess what you were out of da O and/or A real fast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad