Confirmed with Link: F David Kampf re-signs in Toronto (4 years, $2.4M AAV)

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
2M more they could have brought back O'Rielly. Its a card played now so oh well. I wonder with Holl and Schenns departure if they will make a real effort to bring in a higher end RD.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
He seems lost in the fourth line. He is a defensive center not a energy line center.

He is not good enough defensively to center a third line. Leafs have recognized that they need a third line that can contribute offensively to compliment the top two lines

I think with the team we are trying to put together he is redundant. Trade him at the deadline for defensive help?

Reactions: MarMarSab3

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
He seems lost in the fourth line. He is a defensive center not a energy line center.

He is not good enough defensively to center a third line. Leafs have recognized that they need a third line that can contribute offensively to compliment the top two lines

I think with the team we are trying to put together he is redundant. Trade him at the deadline for defensive help?
Are you a 2 game evaluation wiz?

Both Dubas and Keefe could not figure out the 4th line for years. Last year Dubas brought in an entire bottom 6 at the deadline (i am exaggerating).

Why would you want someone as good as Kampf to be traded in a year where Toronto needs to compete in the playoffs?

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Dude is a blessing as our 4th line C. Not sure how you can complain about him. Who else would take his role? Sure $2.4M is quite a bit of money this year. But have 3 more years where the cap is going up. Any comparable UFA would be $3M+ easily.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Kampf looks out of place because defensive systems haven't gelled yet. The first month of hockey is pond hockey which is why I don't put much stock in it.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I wonder if he's nursing an injury or the flu or something. I think he'll be fine but have noticed he looks slower than he usually does.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
The fact that he was the FIRST guy re-signed and was given $2.4 AAV made me shake my head then and I'm still shaking my head now. He's the definition of a replacement level player, a 4th line C at best, who should be making $1m-$1.2m at most.

Could have easily been replaced by Holmberg at 1/3 the price, and who is totally miscast as even a 3rd line C. He's skates alright and has been decent at face-offs up until this year, but a deal for 4 years for a guy who's probably more suited as a 13th forward on a true contender was a bad omen to start the offseason and has looked steadily worse ever since.

Reactions: Brown Dog and Kurtz

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
The fact that he was the FIRST guy re-signed and was given $2.4 AAV made me shake my head then and I'm still shaking my head now. He's the definition of a replacement level player, a 4th line C at best, who should be making $1m-$1.2m at most.

Could have easily been replaced by Holmberg at 1/3 the price, and who is totally miscast as even a 3rd line C. He's skates alright and has been decent at face-offs up until this year, but a deal for 4 years for a guy who's probably more suited as a 13th forward on a true contender was a bad omen to start the offseason and has looked steadily worse ever since.
I still cannot believe he was given a 4 YEAR DEAL and a significant pay raise. You can't have that salary on your 4th line, that's madness.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
We’ve seen Kampf play for a few years now and he has often been our best bottom sixer. He’s struggling this year, but he’s being asked to carry around the corpse of Reaves and deal with our shitshow defense and porous goaltending. He’s a defensive depth centre, not a line driver. This contract isn’t amazing, but Kampf is not even on the same planet as our other list of problems.

We have no depth, defense, or goaltending because we have no cap space. Thats the big4, not 400k too much on the f***in 4th line C.

Reactions: arso40

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
We’ve seen Kampf play for a few years now and he has often been our best bottom sixer. He’s struggling this year, but he’s being asked to carry around the corpse of Reaves and deal with our shitshow defense and porous goaltending. He’s a defensive depth centre, not a line driver. This contract isn’t amazing, but Kampf is not even on the same planet as our other list of problems.

We have no depth, defense, or goaltending because we have no cap space. Thats the big4, not 400k too much on the f***in 4th line C.
Coulda signed Schenn for Kampf's price and just used Holmberg in his place.

you are right there is a cap misallocation. It is when you overpay depth.

Even when Kampf was tried on the 3rd line this year, he was misplaced. Trev didn't construct a bottom six properly with Kampf in mind

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
just used Holmberg in his place.
It's this attitude that has contributed to dwindling depth over the years. Holmberg is a replacement player with 0 points this year and has never shown anything more than flashes of being an okay player (which is exciting when he's 23, not exciting when the prospect shine wears off). Expecting the better Marlies to give us depth scoring has failed, year after year after year. We need quality NHL'ers in our bottom six, not tweeners.

Our big 4 contracts consist of 50% of the salary cap. We have $4.25m for goalies and a $22m blueline. Paying Kampf 400k at the same time as paying 40m to four players and blaming Kampf's contract is hilarious. That is 1% of what the other guys make. 400k is important, but the idea that the only cap misallocation is overpaying depth should have died on these forums years ago after the big guns failed to deliver again and again.

Kampf should do better this year, but I'll waste time and pixels to defend a guy who's played hard for us for years and done his job well.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The issue is not Kampf or is contract, it's that we built a roster that somehow can't make good use of him. Kampf has proven the ability to do two things
A- Centre a hard match up shutdown line with two plus level defensive wingers for 7-9m total
B- Centre a safe minute 4th line with two bargain barrel wingers with adequate defense for ~4m total.

We are icing an F group that doesn't have the personnel for either.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The issue is not Kampf or is contract, it's that we built a roster that somehow can't make good use of him. Kampf has proven the ability to do two things
A- Centre a hard match up shutdown line with two plus level defensive wingers for 7-9m total
B- Centre a safe minute 4th line two with bargain barrel wingers with adequate defense for ~4m total.

We are icing an F group that doesn't have the personnel for either.

Jarnkrok might be able to help him but we'd really need to jettison Reaves.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
xxx-Kampf-Jarncrok could be line A, but we don't have xxx.
Gregor-Kampf-yyy could be line B, but we have Reaves instead of yyy.

Knies-Matthews-88
Bertuzzi-JT-Marner
Robertson-Domi-X
Gregor-Kampf-Jarnkrok

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liljegren
Gio-Timmins
Laggesson

We gotta solve for 6...I wonder how open the caps would be to something around Mantha and Klingberg? They seem to really want to lose him.

Garland is another one with Vancouver, they need a RD for bottom pair and seem to want to be rid of Garland.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad