F Cole Caufield - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2019, 15th, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I'm not completely sure this matters because his appeal is as a complementary weapon, not a primary driver. If you're going to make use of him, you're going to want to pair him with some talent. So how much does it really matter how he well he adapts to not having talent to play off of? If you're high on him it's probably because you want to play him alongside some talent, not anchor a line on his own, ya know?

I think some of this is a product of his puck-dominant playmaking linemates as well. He doesn't carry the puck much but he's very efficient at it when he does. Mitch Brown's tracking has him behind only Hughes on the US U18s in combined exit+entry success percentages.

Reactions: CanuckCity

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think some of this is a product of his puck-dominant playmaking linemates as well. He doesn't carry the puck much but he's very efficient at it when he does. Mitch Brown's tracking has him behind only Hughes on the US U18s in combined exit+entry success percentages.

I can’t say I’ve ever focused on him enough to notice that, but it certainly makes sense with the linemates he’s had & the way he’s used.

...although one does have to wonder how much of that percentage is a function of a low sample size & the attention his center’s have received vs his own puck-carrying abilities.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you’re a 40 goal scorer (not just a one time thing) in any draft, then you’re a top 5 player. Obviously he needs to follow it up but if he’s a consistent 30-40 goal scorer in the NHL, then yeah you’re most likely a top 5 player from that draft, no questions asked.

Quick check at the 2016 Draft. These are the players I would take over Debrincat.

Matthews, Laine, Dubois, Tkachuk, Keller, McAvoy, Hart

That would place Debrincat 8th.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Quick check at the 2016 Draft. These are the players I would take over Debrincat.

Matthews, Laine, Dubois, Tkachuk, Keller, McAvoy, Hart

That would place Debrincat 8th.

That’s fine but it’s too quick to call on a draft that at most a player has completed 3 years and when he only has had 1 30 goal season. If you look back at drafts where their careers have played out, if you’re a consistent 30-40 goal scorer, then you’re a top 5 player from that draft, especially if they’re closer to 40 than they are to 30.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Would look great on Horvat's wing. I think the Canucks seriously consider him if he's there at 10

If Caufield was 6"1, he'd be a top 3 pick no?

Reactions: Steely Van and Love

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
That’s fine but it’s too quick to call on a draft that at most a player has completed 3 years and when he only has had 1 30 goal season. If you look back at drafts where their careers have played out, if you’re a consistent 30-40 goal scorer, then you’re a top 5 player from that draft, especially if they’re closer to 40 than they are to 30.

I might be biased but... i think Brinksy is a top 3.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Brian Gionta comparison?
Not at all... Caufields best asset is his shot. His overall game is pretty good, good motor, works hard, realy good hands but could pass more, he often takes shot with barely any angles, he did some insane shot that way if you wanna play the odds, more often pass was a better option. If you want a comparable, i don’t think you will have to consider his size... if you do the closest would be Debrincat but all they realy have in common is their shot and size. Caufield has much better skating and Hands. Who knows if he’ll translate as well tho, if he does... kids gonna be the real deal.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Not at all... Caufields best asset is his shot. His overall game is pretty good, good motor, works hard, realy good hands but could pass more, he often takes shot with barely any angles, he did some insane shot that way if you wanna play the odds, more often pass was a better option. If you want a comparable, i don’t think you will have to consider his size... if you do the closest would be Debrincat but all they realy have in common is their shot and size. Caufield has much better skating and Hands. Who knows if he’ll translate as well tho, if he does... kids gonna be the real deal.

I doubt Gionta had a bad shot. He scored over 120 goals in college, and had a 48 goals season in the NHL.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
What I gather from very limited viewing of his highlights is that he scores goals with a crazy amount of ease. It's like he doesn't even have to try to pick corners and when he scores it's like it was never in doubt. I'm kinda hoping the Canucks take him at 10.

Reactions: Steely Van

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Hughes, Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy, York, Knight, this kid.... man this years USNDTP is just crazy

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
He knows how to get in scoring position like very few players do. Somehow when he's on the ice he's just always in the right spot in the offensive zone, and the puck just seems to find him.

I have no doubts his game will translate, only thing I'd like to see is some more work on his lower body strength, and lowering his center of gravity.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He knows how to get in scoring position like very few players do. Somehow when he's on the ice he's just always in the right spot in the offensive zone, and the puck just seems to find him.

I have no doubts his game will translate, only thing I'd like to see is some more work on his lower body strength, and lowering his center of gravity.

I agree with this. His shot is good but it’s not as elite as most would expect. His goal scoring instincts are elite.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad