F Brady Tkachuk (2018, 4th, OTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Is he a better prospect than Matthew was, even or not as good?

Not as good in my opinion. Brady is taller and a better skater but thats where it ends. Matthew is phenomenal below the goal line, thats where he creates most of his offense. Matthew has fantastic hockey sense and knows how to use his big frame to create time and space. Brady doesn't have a similar game from what I have seen, more of a drive the net power forward style, without the creativity and vision.

I hope I am wrong and Brady is a great pick for the sens but I actually didnt see the similarities in their games as much as everyone else I guess. Same last name, same position, shoot the same way but stylistically not similar.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not as good in my opinion. Brady is taller and a better skater but thats where it ends. Matthew is phenomenal below the goal line, thats where he creates most of his offense. Matthew has fantastic hockey sense and knows how to use his big frame to create time and space. Brady doesn't have a similar game from what I have seen, more of a drive the net power forward style, without the creativity and vision.

I hope I am wrong and Brady is a great pick for the sens but I actually didnt see the similarities in their games as much as everyone else I guess. Same last name, same position, shoot the same way but stylistically not similar.
I think Matthew was the better prospect, but I do think they misused Brady at BU to try to get the best out of a veteran in Greenway, who likes to operate in the same areas, which led to Brady playing the half-wall more on the PP. It will be interesting to see how Brady looks if he ever plays with a very good center. The only glimpse we have of that is with Mittelstadt. Norris isn't anything special, and BU wasn't very good for centers this year. Matthew has always lucked out in regards to line-mates/centers. He had Matthews at The Program and IIHF events, had Dvorak (top 3 OHL center in 2015/16) with Marner as a winger, and has played primarily with a very strong possession center in Backlund so far in the NHL.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I did like this outline to describe Tkachuk as a player. Which is very similar to his brother
HD = High danger
MD = Medium danger
LD = little danger
Plus people need to stop harping on and on about his points at BU. His shooting percentage was insanely low. So low that it can only go up. I'd much rather take low shooting percentage, than someone like Noel who had a shooting percentage of 27% which is impossible to sustain.
Tkachuk_Shot_Location_Table.png

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Did Landeskog have the same questions about offensive upside Brady is getting now?

I would find it really hard to believe Brady wouldn’t have at least matched Gabriel’s production in the OHL with 66 points in 53 games. Gabriel also had multiple NHL draft picks with him in Kitchener and they were a very strong squad.

I couldn’t find that league production comparison equation / calculator thingy. It’d be interesting to convert Landeskogs or Tkachuks production and compare them vs. league.
iirc there was a bit but it wasn't like people expected him to not break 50 or anything. He was pretty much a can't miss prospect and I think people were expecting atleast 40 points from the get-go

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
I think Matthew was the better prospect, but I do think they misused Brady at BU to try to get the best out of a veteran in Greenway, who likes to operate in the same areas, which led to Brady playing the half-wall more on the PP. It will be interesting to see how Brady looks if he ever plays with a very good center. The only glimpse we have of that is with Mittelstadt. Norris isn't anything special, and BU wasn't very good for centers this year. Matthew has always lucked out in regards to line-mates/centers. He had Matthews at The Program and IIHF events, had Dvorak (top 3 OHL center in 2015/16) with Marner as a winger, and has played primarily with a very strong possession center in Backlund so far in the NHL.

There was an interesting interview with Quinn in one of the French Montreal papers before the draft. He said that basically they tried so many set-ups on the PP in the first half of the year but nothing was working. Having Brady run the PP from the half-wall wasn't ideal, but in the end he had to relent as Tkachuk was the only one that had the ability to make it work.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005

If Tkachuk returns to BU, he'll very likely be centered by Shane Bowers, a first-round draft pick just named to Canada's World Junior Showcase camp and first-team Hockey East All-Rookie. The third forward would be Patrick Harper, whose very adept from the half-wall, but missed the second half of last season. Potentially a powerhouse line.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I did like this outline to describe Tkachuk as a player. Which is very similar to his brother
HD = High danger
MD = Medium danger
LD = little danger
Plus people need to stop harping on and on about his points at BU. His shooting percentage was insanely low. So low that it can only go up. I'd much rather take low shooting percentage, than someone like Noel who had a shooting percentage of 27% which is impossible to sustain.
It's a little worrisome if he shoots from so many high scoring chances though and still have a very slow shooting percentage. If he was shooting from all little danger shots it wouldn't look as bad.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It's a little worrisome if he shoots from so many high scoring chances though and still have a very slow shooting percentage. If he was shooting from all little danger shots it wouldn't look as bad.

I wouldn't look at it that way.
Yes he may have some distance shots but so plenty of other forwards, but the focus should be on his ability to generate in close dangerous opportunities.

I mean he was rocking a 6% shooting percentage, which has to go up as it was below the average of the NCAA.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This is completely backwards.
It's not, because it implies that he's completely reliant on high danger scoring chances to have barely passable scoring. In NHL high danger scoring chances are much more difficult to come by and it remains to be seen whether he's able to generate those.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
HD = High danger
MD = Medium danger
LD = little danger

His shooting percentage was 6. It's a little low, but not a sure-bet ''bounce-back'' candidate either. Where did this data come from, btw?

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
No.

Matthew played with Frolik and Backlund. With +8.91% rel corsi, +15.13% rel gf%, +9.25 rel xgf%, 34.93 zone start ratio. Matthew absolutely carried his line as a d+1 rookie.

And Brady doesn't have a higher IQ than him and he especially doesn't have better vision than him, these are completely unfounded opinions that nothing that's actually happened in reality supports.

Speaking of unfounded opinions....

Why don’t we all chill on the kid, and stop thinking that we know more than Central Scouting, NHL scouts, and his own family?

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

Just to second this but Matthew's playmaking abilities below the goal line and near the crease where he is usually well defended is excellent and usually catches me by surprise how easily he can get a pass through from where he is.

I also agree that Brady is a sort of different player. Sort of in that he's still great as a prototypical Powerforward but scores differently than Matthew.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Did Landeskog have the same questions about offensive upside Brady is getting now?

I would find it really hard to believe Brady wouldn’t have at least matched Gabriel’s production in the OHL with 66 points in 53 games. Gabriel also had multiple NHL draft picks with him in Kitchener and they were a very strong squad.

I couldn’t find that league production comparison equation / calculator thingy. It’d be interesting to convert Landeskogs or Tkachuks production and compare them vs. league.

Landeskog was pretty much a man playing with kids in the OHL. His numbers were not eye popping but he was a guaranteed 55-65 point player in the NHL. He went over couturier Larsson and Huberdeau who were amazing prospects at the time . Huberdeau broke 100 points and landeskog going #2 was expected.

You don't have the same kind of feeling with Tkachuk in terms of projecting his offensive ceiling.

Sure Tkachuk could have matched Landeskogs OHL production in his draft year, but could he have matched Landeskogs production in the NHL in his draft +1? ( score 50+ points next season). I don't think so.

cowgirlcath

Johnny Mony and Cathy
Jul 9, 2018
Calgary
Really hope he signs and I can see him play his brother this year! His interviews at the draft were some of my favourite. Awesome kid and player.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think he should just stay at Boston University this season as the Sens are just an utter mess.

Usually, I predict whether or not signing with the Sens is a possibility, but it's too early for me to tell.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I think he should just stay at Boston University this season as the Sens are just an utter mess.

Usually, I predict whether or not signing with the Sens is a possibility, but it's too early for me to tell.

Where are you going with this, it's like you not wanted to talk about Tkachuk, you just wanted to point out how the Senators are a mess??

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Where are you going with this, it's like you not wanted to talk about Tkachuk, you just wanted to point out how the Senators are a mess??

Not really, the Sens are a mess, and it is probably a factor with respect to exposing him to it right now.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I agree with the above comments and think Tkachuk should stay away from Sens for another year too.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

It's me saying I think he's bound to be a very good hockey player, and he should hold off on the Sens for a bit to enrich his development while the team is still trying to get it together.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad