F Brady Tkachuk (2018, 4th, OTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He wasn't just picked for grit. He has a bunch of skill.

Guys like Niederreiter and Landeskog were in a similar boat as Brady currently is. They may not be the home-runs you hope for drafting that high, but they are still hits and valuable players. Landeskog more so than Niedereitter.

These are good example I forgot about. Especially Landeskog. Thanks!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Are you going to believe the people who ranked Crouse above Marner were correct? Besides okay sure you may have an argument for Wahlstrom and Hughes, but anyone who can't see Zadina being far superior to Tkachuk in every facet minus physicality is delusional.
kinda of a weird statement...

youre saying zadina is better because if you take away skills that tkatchuk has over zadina.. youre left with zadina having the better traits.. but thats not how anyone scouts. you look at the total package.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
kinda of a weird statement...

youre saying zadina is better because if you take away skills that tkatchuk has over zadina.. youre left with zadina having the better traits.. but thats not how anyone scouts. you look at the total package.

No I'm saying Tkachuk is only better than Zadina at skating and physicality, and Zadina is far superior in every thing else.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
No I'm saying Tkachuk is only better than Zadina at skating and physicality, and Zadina is far superior in every thing else.

There are a lot of people - in this thread and elsewhere - that totally disagree with your assessments. What makes you know more than them?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Obcourse no one is claiming Brady is better right now. Matthew is 2 years older. I don't know what is insane thinking that Brady has more upside than Matthew.

Matthew is a player I like, his points totals do not really tell the story of how good he is. They are similar in this way. But saying Brady is nowhere near the 49 points winger that Matthew is right now one day, is a more insane statement and inferring he is going to be a bust.
Matthew performed better than Brady everywhere, and he also significantly outperformed the expectations during his NHL career, which is a factor even if Brady didn't reach that point yet.

But if we just go by production:
u17 season:
Matthew: USHL 33gp 17p, USDP 53gp 33p
Brady: USHL 32gp 8p, USDP 55gp 25p
u18 season:
Matthew: USHL 24gp 33p, USDP 65gp 95p
Brady: USHL 24gp 23p, USDP 61gp 54p
u19 season isn't comparable, but I guess you just need to take my word for it that scoring at 1.9 PPG in OHL is more impressive than scoring at 0.8 PPG in NCAA.

Matthew also scored better in every equivalent international tournament.

As for things other than scoring, Brady's skating is better. But that's about it - The biggest difference might be in hockey IQ and positioning that are significantly in Matthew's favor.

I'll call it a miracle if Brady goes to NHL next season and scores 50 points.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
okay lets say thats true .. (i think youre stretching it though i don tthink EVERYTHING ELSE is FAR SUPERIOR) his brady physicality could be SUCH a plus and he could be such a bully on the ice that he simply ends up being a more effective NHLer. especially come play off time...

and i will take skill over grit any day... but people are selling tkatchuk incredibly short and in the process over hyping zadina to the upteenth degree.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Matthew performed better than Brady everywhere, and he also significantly outperformed the expectations during his NHL career, which is a factor even if Brady didn't reach that point yet.

u17 season:
u18 season:
u19 season isn't comparable, but I guess you just need to take my word for it that scoring at 1.9 PPG in OHL is more impressive than scoring at 0.8 PPG in NCAA.

As for things other than scoring, Brady's skating is better. But that's about it - The biggest difference might be in hockey IQ and positioning that are significantly in Matthew's favor.

i feel like not makny rookies do this anyway

ijuka

May 14, 2016
i feel like not makny rookies do this anyway
The point is that Matthew DID score above that pace and the poster said that Brady would be better.

And comparing JUST points is flattering to Brady because Matthew's underlying advanced statistics are absolutely incredible.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The point is that Matthew DID score above that pace and the poster said that Brady would be better.

And comparing JUST points is flattering to Brady because Matthew's underlying advanced statistics are absolutely incredible.
well brady hasnt even played an nhl game yet.. its impossible to compare..

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Other than his brother, has there been a guy picked in the top 12 that was picked primarily due to size/grit, that actually panned out?

Guys like Kopitar and Hedman had size, but were picked primarily do to skill. Size was a bonus. Guys like Lawson Crouse and Nick Ritchie are what come to mind for size and/or grit being a driving force behind the pick (like Brady & Matthew). Logan Brown but that's too recent. A lot of Dmen (Morin, MacIlrath, Gudbranson, etc..). Who else?

PS: Not saying Brady will bust (his bro is great)... but I do wonder if there is a pattern.
He was drafted because of skill, not grit. Form your own opinions instead of listening to the HF hivemind.

And Logan Brown is like the most non-physical player for his size out there.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
There are a lot of people - in this thread and elsewhere - that totally disagree with your assessments. What makes you know more than them?
He doesn't - he speaks straight from the gut with a lack of critical thought. Another HF parrot.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

u17 season:
u18 season:

Not saying Brady will be better than Matthew offensively or anything, but Matthew also played on a stacked U18 team and played primarily with Matthews. Even Jeremy Bracco put up very similar numbers on the same team. He also played with Marner (the CHL MVP) in London.

I have by doubts about Brady's offensive potential as well, but he never had the line-mates Matthew had pre-draft.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
well brady hasnt even played an nhl game yet.. its impossible to compare..
You could say that about an undrafted player as well. This is a ridiculous stance. Why have the draft at all then? Who knows whether Dahlin is better than an undrafted D in Swedish u18 league? Neither have played any NHL games.

The point is that not only was Matthew a better prospect, it's an additional notch for him that he significantly outperformed his expectations in NHL.

What was the statistic, Matthew took part in 92% of London's points while he was on the ice. That's not him being carried by his linemates - Which is proven further by his NHL performance.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He could also go NHL -> WJC -> London (OHL)
If he can last 4 months in the NHL, might as well send him to the AHL after, unless you have no faith in Belleville to develop him. No point in sending him down that many levels. He's clearly AHL ready in my eyes.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

u17 season:
u18 season:

Brady is a better playmaker than Matthew and he's got better vision. I don't agree at all that Matthew has higher IQ. That's Brady's biggest asset and they both are really smart players.

While I also agree that 50P for Tkatchuk next season is a reach, Matthew also played with Gaudreau and Monahan. If Tkatchuk plays with teammates of similar caliber (Duchene/Stone) he definitely has a shot at putting up solid totals.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Brady is a better playmaker than Matthew and he's got better vision. I don't agree at all that Matthew has higher IQ. That's Brady's biggest asset and they both are really smart players.

While I also agree that 50P for Tkatchuk next season is a reach, Matthew also played with Gaudreau and Monahan. If Tkatchuk plays with teammates of similar caliber (Duchene/Stone) he definitely has a shot at putting up solid totals.
Disagree on him having better vision and Matthew's linemates are Backlund and Frolik.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

No.

Matthew played with Frolik and Backlund. With +8.91% rel corsi, +15.13% rel gf%, +9.25 rel xgf%, 34.93 zone start ratio. Matthew absolutely carried his line as a d+1 rookie.

And Brady doesn't have a higher IQ than him and he especially doesn't have better vision than him, these are completely unfounded opinions that nothing that's actually happened in reality supports.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014

I don’t know about that - Mathew had an incredible rookie season while playing with Backlund and Frolik. I think Brady is a better playmaker and skater but that’s it.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Did Landeskog have the same questions about offensive upside Brady is getting now?

I would find it really hard to believe Brady wouldn’t have at least matched Gabriel’s production in the OHL with 66 points in 53 games. Gabriel also had multiple NHL draft picks with him in Kitchener and they were a very strong squad.

I couldn’t find that league production comparison equation / calculator thingy. It’d be interesting to convert Landeskogs or Tkachuks production and compare them vs. league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad