F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Marner played with Rupert and Dvorak in his draft year primarily, and then put two points per game in the playoffs centering Josh Sterk. I think your thinking of his post draft season with Tkachuk and Dvorak.

You're correct, I was thinking of 15-16. Though Dvorak was also an excellent junior player in his own right.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
I really don't see the Hall comparison. Hall was a more typical Canadian winger prospect: very fast, very explosive skater, great shot, fine playmaker but more oriented toward scoring. Lafrenière is a good but not great skater, has a good shot that he doesn't use enough and has exceptional vision and decision-making. Hall sped things up and Lafrenière slows them down. Only things they have in common is their position and their size.
Hall is a way better playmaker then scorer, he has a good release and hard shot but is pretty inaccurate. Lafrenière is bigger than Hall as well.

Kaner

Aug 3, 2007
I watched part of the final and most if the Finland game.

Definitely not on McDavid level, but I think he is also behind Matthews and Eichel level. Scored some nice goals, but wasn’t dominating 5 on 5 game. Especially in final game was far away from MVP. Had couple of giveaways, was really lost in the own end and didn’t step up in final period like some other Canadiens.Defensively was also very poor, I am not saying that Matthews and Eichel are great defensively.

Of course he is a great talent and best of his age group, but people tend to overhype first overalls. There is not generational talents every year.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Hall is a way better playmaker then scorer, he has a good release and hard shot but is pretty inaccurate. Lafrenière is bigger than Hall as well.

They're both 6'1? I don't think you mean weight either because Hall weighs more.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Lafreniere over Svechnikov and Laine.

In terms of prospects and leading up to their draft, Laffy is a more superior prospect.
Lmao there is no chance in hell he would go over Laine. Recency bias at its best. Leading up to their draft? Laine won the MVP for the FEL playoffs and the WHC... I don't think you remember how hyped up he was. 6'4 winger with the best shot in a decade, people were comparing him to Lemieux.

Reactions: Nabrules

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
his overall game and IQ is superior to Hall and Laine. Laine has more physical attributes and shot but in terms of the mental aspect of the game. What makes Laf special is the way he thinks the game is so complete and he is a hound.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Lmao there is no chance in hell he would go over Laine. Recency bias at its best. Leading up to their draft? Laine won the MVP for the FEL playoffs and the WHC... I don't think you remember how hyped up he was. 6'4 winger with the best shot in a decade, people were comparing him to Lemieux.

By people you mean fins, so that should be taken with a grain of salt. They compare most of their mediocre 1st round prospects to all-time greats.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
By people you mean fins, so that should be taken with a grain of salt. They compare most of their mediocre 1st round prospects to all-time greats.
It wasn't only fins. McKeen's compared him to Lemieux pre draft too for example. Nevertheless Ovechkin was still a common comparison by draft analysts and also he was speculated to be possibly "a generational goal scorer"... as I said there was a lot of hype.

Reactions: Fenris

The Camera Eye

Nov 4, 2006
Sainte-Catherine
I watched part of the final and most if the Finland game.

Definitely not on McDavid level, but I think he is also behind Matthews and Eichel level. Scored some nice goals, but wasn’t dominating 5 on 5 game. Especially in final game was far away from MVP. Had couple of giveaways, was really lost in the own end and didn’t step up in final period like some other Canadiens.Defensively was also very poor, I am not saying that Matthews and Eichel are great defensively.

Of course he is a great talent and best of his age group, but people tend to overhype first overalls. There is not generational talents every year.

Wow you watched part of one game and most of another game. Incredibly convincing scouting report.

Reactions: Garyboy

Jesperi is my Daddy

Jan 2, 2020
:help:

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Can't bother to provide a counter argument :help:? To be more precise, I'm not claiming he won't become a better player. Just talking about their pre draft stock which Laine had plenty. Anyways I'd like to shift this argument (which is impossible for me to win here anyways) away from that: I was under impression of him being this utterly dominant player offensively in every way and I must say I was a tad disappointed.

Reactions: wacko2

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
He strikes me a player who seems to be able to find the puck on stick through smart hockey plays. He also is a puck hound.

That stuff should translate well in the NHL.

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
Lafreniere finishes 4th in pts with 10 while missing 3 games including their 2 weaker opponents. Some of the subtle plays where he anticipates a play occurring seconds before it occurs and is correct almost always. Hear me correctly because i'm not saying hes Gretzky, but his anticipation and hockey IQ is his greatest attribute and I think its the highest we've seen since Gretzky or at least Crosby?

Reactions: Ranger Spice

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
He strikes me a player who seems to be able to find the puck on stick through smart hockey plays. He also is a puck hound.

That stuff should translate well in the NHL.

I agree, I saw him making Stone-esque defensive plays, batting pucks out of the air while pursuing the player. I want him on Ottawa very badly.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Can't bother to provide a counter argument :help:? To be more precise, I'm not claiming he won't become a better player. Just talking about their pre draft stock which Laine had plenty. Anyways I'd like to shift this argument (which is impossible for me to win here anyways) away from that: I was under impression of him being this utterly dominant player offensively in every way and I must say I was a tad disappointed.

How? He put up 2 PPG and was the MVP of the tournament. Drove possession every time he was on the ice.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I agree, I saw him making Stone-esque defensive plays, batting pucks out of the air while pursuing the player. I want him on Ottawa very badly.
He definitely has Stone like defensive abilities on the defensive side of the puck. Would like that comp more overall but they are very different in how they play in the offensive zone and create offense.

Reactions: InTkachukWeTrust

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com

Recency if you think I’m just a band wagoner and not following him since his midget days with St-Eustache.

And the proof that he is a much bigger prospect than Laine is that he’s projected to be 1st overall, not 2nd overall like Laine. Laine was compared to Ovy, not Lemieux. Lafreniere has been on the radar for 3-4 years easily. If Laine was the bigger prospect, he would have gone 1st overall. Lafreniere wins, he’s a gamer, he finishes the game sweating like crazy and you know he gives it all out there. The hype for Lafreniere is that he was already touted to be competing for Hughes in the other draft and Hughes had crazy hype around him too.

Don’t use the recency thing on me, I’m from Quebec and we’re just excited to see how Laffy is showing the world that Quebec has elite talent.

Reactions: Ranger Spice

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
It wasn't only fins. McKeen's compared him to Lemieux pre draft too for example. Nevertheless Ovechkin was still a common comparison by draft analysts and also he was speculated to be possibly "a generational goal scorer"... as I said there was a lot of hype.
Compared to Lemieux but went after Austin Mathews?

Reactions: Acadien86

Jesperi is my Daddy

Jan 2, 2020
He had 10 points in 5 games and won MVP. I think he dominated all right.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
He had 10 points in 5 games and won MVP. I think he dominated all right.
I'm not talking about points. I didn't say he played bad, I just expected better for the hype he's been getting. He doesn't have many weaknesses in his game and has a nice variety of skills, but didn't really see anything exceptional in his game either.

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
I'm not talking about points. I didn't say he played bad, I just expected better for the hype he's been getting. He doesn't have many weaknesses in his game and has a nice variety of skills, but didn't really see anything exceptional in his game either.
The intangibles are what has made him such a prolific scorer. he's out there playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
The intangibles are what has made him such a prolific scorer. he's out there playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers.
Maybe I just evaluated him wrong. Tbh I didn't expect him to play in such a cerebral style. More like someone who would just force his way to the net and around players with speed and skill, like MacKinnon maybe. He did seem to have a great understanding of the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad